Sign in to follow this  
peter197

Aircraft and AI zoom disappearance

Hey,

So this might be a little hard to understand but here goes...

I have a strange issue where after about around half a nautical mile distance of view from AI or my own aircraft, it disappears, and I can only see it again by zooming in or having the viewpoint closer. This is very annoying when I'm trying to do a carrier landing and I can't see the ship but can see the white wake of it, or when a B-52 takes off and suddenly disappears, and all I have to do is go to the AI point of view and it is there again.

It is really annoying as I want to follow these aircraft and I can't, but most annoyingly the aircraft carrier is the worst.

Pete

There's a parameter in the FSX.cfg, which controls how large(i.e. how many pixels) the minimum object size has to be in order to display the object. I don't know the default setting, but you can reduce it, so that objects are displayed a longer time/earlier. However, this can possibly affect your performance, especially in dense areas.

Only, I'm not at my simming machine for the next few days, so I won't be able to check.

I think it's called SmallPartRejectRadius in the [scenery] section, but I'm not sure.

Edited by OE-LAT

Yes, you're correct OE-LAT. That's the right parameter, and its quite impressive to what it does in terms of performance.

Hi Clem

I'm thinking that this setting (smallpartrejectradius) is not a default setting in cfg as it can be added to maybe improve performance but is'nt it quite irrelevant these days?

OP does not state that he has this setting in his cfg.

Kind Regards

Simon.

Thanks, Clem, for backing me up here, and thanks for the linke, too. I was looking for something like that to make sure I didn't tell any stupid things here, but wasn't patient/efficient enough when researching on Google.

Flo

I had tried raising it. It was originally on 10. Then boosted it to 20, no difference, so I saw what happened and I deleted it and problem is solved. No real performance hitch.

Pete

Raising it will cause object to disappear even quicker because now they only need to be 20px wide to be considered for rejection when before they needed to be 10px wide.

Removing the option from the FSX.cfg means nothing is now considered for rejection, I usually set this at 4 which gives a good results unless you run a very low resolution screen like 1280X1024 and below.

Hi Clem

I'm thinking that this setting (smallpartrejectradius) is not a default setting in cfg as it can be added to maybe improve performance but is'nt it quite irrelevant these days?

OP does not state that he has this setting in his cfg.

Yes, you have to manually place the parameter under the [sCENERY] section.

Yes, you have to manually place the parameter under the [sCENERY] section.

Yes, thats what i thought. I used to run it but pulled it out due to it not being that much use performance wise. Not in todays current specs.

You still flying over at OZx? : )

Kind Regards

Simon.

Yes, thats what i thought. I used to run it but pulled it out due to it not being that much use performance wise. Not in todays current specs.

You still flying over at OZx? : )

Yeah, that tweak does my system good however.

Still flying occasionally, mainly testing and school.