Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

While we're at it who's the PMDG of helicopters?

So, somebody asked about the PMDG for GA. Is there a PMDG of helicopters? Anybody fly them?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

AFAIK, the Dodosim Bell 206 is the best out there....

For FSX, the Dodosim 206 is the only game in town when it comes to systems and flight fidelity. I'm hopeful about a couple of upcoming products (Milviz is working on a 407 that'll incorporate flight dynamics based on Fred Naar's Helicopter Total Realism program) but right now, nothing else comes close to the Dodo. I'm a pretty committed FSX helo flyer and I've tried a number of others, but none of them have stayed on my hard drive long.

+1, yep DodoSim and there's no competition. I'm not rotorcraft rated, but I do fly in them a lot for work and the max realism setting for the DodoSim 206 is right on the money. Maybe a real helicopter pilot would disagree, though.

I'm not a helo pilot either (actually not a pilot at all IRL), so can't judge flight model fidelity. Over at Hovercontrol, some of the RL helo pilots, like Nightsta1ker, speak highly of the X-Plane 10 helo flight model. Its native helo flight dynamics are probably much better than FSX's, and the best X-Plane payware helos, like the BK117 by ND Art & Technology, do strike me as being even more fluid and "organic" than even the Dodo (by which I mean, there are moments in the Dodo, like when it's transitioning into and out of effective translational lift, that feel a little abrupt, as though it's switching modes, which it might be, since it depends on plugins outside of FSX, whereas the BK117 is smoother). The differences are very subtle, especially if you've got good helo controls, and of course X-Plane 10 isn't very well settled at the moment, but if you're serious about helos, it's worth considering.

Also worth a look is Fred Naar's freeware Helicopter Total Realism program, which I mentioned above. It provides new flight dynamics via profiles to a number of FSX helos, and makes quite a difference in their performance.

But at the end of the day, the Dodo is still the winner in my book.

Well, I guess it'll be the Dodosim then. I'm not into combat flying. I took the default 206 up over the last couple of days...seeing if I liked it. (Interesting because I never imagined I'd want to fly a helo.) It's a whole new world. I had to actively fly the thing in a hover and slow. Fast is a lot easier. I still stink at low and slow. On the other hand, it's an absolutely terrific way to go up and see some of the details of the fantastic scenery folks have made. I saw parts of Seattle I didn't even know existed. Does anyone fly these on Vatsim?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Not sure about VATSIM but Hovercontrol includes a big online helo community with online flying, instruction and certification (plus of course lots of information and resources). Worth a visit.

One other good thing about the Dodo - it includes five levels of realism, switchable from within the cockpit, so you can start at near-default level, then work your way up as you get more comfortable. A very nice idea.

Good luck but be careful - helos are addictive.

I am a "Hovercontrol 'Certified Pilot'" (HC217CA_Reaper *CP*) with over 860 hours of helicopter flight time in FSX, and we have all sorts of fun little flights and would love to help out anyone who wishes to learn anything from the basics up to INAV (Instrument Navigation) flights. We can go low key just B.S. flying around and chit-chatting, or we can go up to FAA UNICOM Procedure Callouts. Your choice on how much you want to delve into. There is a Whole new world out there in flying "egg-beaters".

There are only 3 things that we ask that you download. 1, TEAMSPEAK so that we can talk to you and you can talk to us so that we can get to know you, and find out what, and where you might need help learning.... http://www.teamspeak...?page=downloads

2) FSCopilot / FSINN. This is our Multiplayer environment server. http://www.hovercont...doc_page8.shtml

You will need to register with the forums as well in order to get a personalized pilot number in order to fly in the multiplayer environment.

Is fsinn required? I loath that.

Gregg Seipp

Greetings, Reaper - I'm HC538AL, student pilot, but haven't yet made it online. Been out of FSX for a couple of months while I got my new rig built. Now getting underway with a new set of Rainman controls and hope to be online at some near-future point.

unfortunately yes it is. That is the client that is used to connect to the Hovercontrol Server. Squakbox, Wilco, etc programs wont work. However!!! If you have FSHost Client, I do have a FSHost server and can accommodate those who wish to fly helos.

However!!! If you have FSHost Client, I do have a FSHost server and can accommodate those who wish to fly helos.

Ok...I'll look into that. Once I get the helo I'll sign up and get in touch!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp