Sign in to follow this  
kekstrom

"Program PIN error" on CDU?

Yesterday I was doing approaches and practicing go-around maneuvers at ESSA, I repeatedly set up my approach on rwy 01L and repeatedly (maybe 3 times) also re-entered the ILS approach on the CDU "app" page. Then the CDU gave a "program pin error" and I could no more enter any approaches on the fmc/cdu. The simulator did not crash and I landed normally but I could no longer enter any stars and approaches on the computer. If I tried it gave me a blank screen with only "FMC ACT" on it.

Has this happened to you guys? I purchased my PMDG 737NGX in 2012 so I should have automatically all the updates sp:s etc?

Thanks!

FCOM vol 2 page 1135, PROGRAM PIN ERROR. FMC connector wiring is incorrect. System unusable; advise maintenance personnel. The CLR key will not clear the message.

Do you have maintenance failures active? Either way, check the CDU for any active malfunctions if it happens again.

Has this happened to you guys?

I got this message one time setting up for a landing at KLAX. I had a runway, STAR, and TP selected and executed. I decided I didn't like it so I changed the runway, STAR and TP and left the original approach and landing in the FMC. I decided I didn't like the second one so I changed the runway, STAR and TP again. That is when I got the error message which I could not clear. Shortly the mouse pointer went to an hour glass and I had a CTD. To much junk in the FMC. It sure didn't have anything to do with what the FCOM said.

Michael Cubine

It sure didn't have anything to do with what the FCOM said.

Maybe it is just PMDGs way to say "You have screwed up the FMC and now we cannot do anything to make it usable". Pretty neat if this is the case.

I got it once only, inbound EHAM, was on a STAR when ATC DCT me to a VOR not part of the STAR, pin error came as I programmed the VOR on the CDU and pressed EXEC. I noted the exact time, when checking the EFB log I noticed that EFB had corrected FSX UTC time exactly when I got the error.

23.png

That's a crash of the FMC only - if you guys can give me a concrete series of steps that reproduces the crash every time you do them, we can look at it and probably fix it for SP2.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Tabs, personally I just had this once in 300+ hours, I tried reflying the scenario but as expected I could not get the FMC to hang again.

23.png

we can look at it and probably fix it for SP2

One time out of hundreds of flights. It is not really worth the effort. I should have had the sense to stop piling runways and STARS into the FMC.

Michael Cubine

That's a crash of the FMC only - if you guys can give me a concrete series of steps that reproduces the crash every time you do them, we can look at it and probably fix it for SP2.

So you DID actually use this to mask an FMC error. Neat!

I got this error last night, several times. I uploaded few PDMG liveries last week (Westjet old, Westjet Disney) and since those uploads I encounterred the Pin Error problem. FMC works great till the point when I try to enter Approach. I get the error after pressing DEP/ARR ARR-> Pin Error.

What would be the next step? Uninstall liveries and reinstall PDMG?

Please use your full name on posts per Forum Rules.

Several days ago I received the Pin Error message and continued the flight from KIAD-KTPA unable to engage VNAV, so I had no speed/altitude for any waypoints. The climbout and cruise was done by using VS mode. When I entered the STAR and runway and executed it the message disappeared and everyting was fine.

I would exit FSX and start a new flight. See if that helps. It should clear the error. If that does not work I would submitt a ticket to PMDG at http://support.precisionmanuals.com/ before I would even think about uninstalls and reinstalls.

Michael Cubine