Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Anyone bother to hand fly the NGX?

Mostly, I set up the FMC and once on route and the autopilot takes over I enjoy the view out the window. So this evening I thought I'd add a bit of variety.

I just completed a 70 odd minute flight using VOR to navigate and hand flew it.

Phew I'm exhausted lol you forget the workload involved. Constantly checking the instruments, trimming and fine tuning the throttles to stay within 100ft of the altitude you set yourself. Also, you have to do some serious planning to ensure you get from A to B. When you hit cloud (it was night time too) and your doing 'proper' (i added it in quotes cause once you get into it it feels like it) simulated IFR the pressure goes up even more. At this point you wish you could read your own handwriting on that scribbled flight plan. After all, it made perfect sense when you wrote it!

The thrill of achievement when you actually get to where your going however, is well worth the sweat and palpitations :) so was wondering if many people bother?

Yeah I handfly like this from time to time, most of the time just doing circuits but I have done some full ~1 hour flights by hand.

Aa few weeks ago I was forced to as I got a left IRS failure in cruise and the autopilot doesn't function on only one IRS, I was handflying keeping a close eye on the instruments then I remembered..... I have the HGS! Suddenly it became so much easier.

I don't fly the NGX,but you have described my typical flight in other aircraft. I'm currently flying the A2A B377 Stratocruiser, and you're right about the workload. I'll use autopilot on long flights (4+ hours), but on short ones I prefer to hand fly.

I'd gotten to the point with the Goose that it was all hand flying, no use of the GPS except for reference data, handwritten flight plans, navigating by VOR and NDB. At least the Goose had modern instruments. The B377 doesn't have a DME, and the VOR is a needle on the RMI that points to the station.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This thing flies incredibly well by hand. It's the best hand flying jet in my inventory...

I definitly don't hand fly my entire flight... but I will do some of it. My reasoning is I'm the only person flying it AND I don't have controls which I can manipulate with my fingers.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My only exception is I don't fly the cruise segment ever. Otherwise I've hand flown all other segments and when I have no time to fly A to B ill hand fly touch and goes. Gotta keep up your hand fly skills! It's Ok if your WPM drops a bit! :)

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I do enjoy hand flying it but doing so is not realistic when it comes to airline flying. It is automated for a reason!

Now the CS732 on the other hand....

On the WAR WestJet DVD the pilot says SOP is A/T till the 100ft call. And my buddy at ACA says A/T all the way in is SOP (on the airbus). Proof that the company wants the line guys using the automation...

It handles nicely like real world aircraft. Just as some above mentioned, hand flying during busy moments is pointless. In my real world flying, I have a co-pilot who sets things for me and handles ATC as I hand fly. All I have to do is ask for what I want and he/she sets it. In flight sim, you have your hands full. I turn the AP on at accelerate and clean up. I usually start hand flying at the initial approach fix or intercept heading. I pretty much do the same in real world flying. Every now and then i will hand fly up to 10,000 when the weather is clear and no traffic. When ever weather is low or traffic is busy, I turn on the AP early and leave it on late for landing. I also do this at unfamiliar airports.

I'll hand fly usually until I turn for my first fix outside of the SID.

Beyond that its mostly straight flying and I know I can do that so I let Otto take over.

Descents have peaks of high workload so Otto again takes the controls.

On final is when I'll disconnect but leave A/T on until 500 ft.

If shared cockpit ever makes it in, I would probably hand fly more of the descent if I was the PF and I had someone handling everything else.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

I hand fly up to 2,000' and again on approach out of 5K. I dont wanna ruin all the fun. :)

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

I'll usually hand fly it up to about 10,000-15,000 feet, then kick on the autopilot. Once I get to about 10,000 feet on approach, I'll turn the autopilot off. It really is one of the nicest aircraft to hand fly in the sim!

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

In order for me to keep some I typically take controls as soon as I am cleared for the approach and turn A/P off :wacko:

Keith Guillory

In my real world flying, I have a co-pilot who sets things for me and handles ATC as I hand fly. All I have to do is ask for what I want and he/she sets it. In flight sim, you have your hands full. I turn the AP on at accelerate and clean up.

You should really, REALLY check out FS2Crew...!!!

Yes, mostly the SIDs and STARs. I find using the autopilot all the time boring, as you might as well be watching a video or something and you aren't really flying the SID or STAR yourself. Even then, if using the flight director, all you are doing is following a line and although a bit more challenging, it still doesn't make me feel like I've achieved anything.

I prefer flying approaches in GA planes, especially VOR or NDB approaches. It's great after flying complex DME arcs in zero visibility to see the runway appear out of the clouds, all without using GPS or the FD.

I do enjoy hand flying it but doing so is not realistic when it comes to airline flying. It is automated for a reason!

Whether it is "realistic" or not is irrelevant. I apologise for the bluntness (which isn't really warranted in your case, since you enjoy hand flying it), but there have been plenty of times in the past when I have been criticised for the way that I fly planes, and I have never understood why. I mean, this is a flight simulator. We can do what the hell we like!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes I hand fly it to 5,000ft and some times right upto10,000ft, then AP, on Approach at 2,000ft AP/AT off.

It's stunning to hand fly a hard SID. hand fly it and it's a great feeling.

FSCrew2 is a must have.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip