Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

MegaSceneryEarth v.2 - Alabama Released plus Discount

Those screenshots made me run back hard to the FREE Blue Sky Scenery... :unsure:

Interesting to see that all pictures are taken from above the airplane. That's the pov where photorealistic sceneries really shine. But when you only use cockpit view, the impact is less spectacular especially on planes where the dash and cowl just allow to see at distance where the sceneries is anyway blurred.

I made a comparative flight this week starting from CYQB to Bangor, half over GEX and half over MSE Maine and my conclusion are.

- external view from above are much better. But i personnaly dont use them in flight.

- forward view from cockpit, not much better in plain environment as you see too far in the distance. However a good effect is acheived in mountainous area where photoscenery give an advantage.

- Side window view, much better with photoscenery over 3000 ft

- below 3000 ft, photoscenery illusion degrade rapidly. In VFR, i usually switch from photoscenery to GEX before descending to land. In IFR, i will stay with photo as i prefer to keep the workload at normal pace without pause and i try not paying too much attention at the flat scenery (im training in RW for IFR and procedures are the focus for me at this point on IFR flights)

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

At 1500 ft looks decent MSE, but I know photo-scenery for not everyone, but at cursing altitude GEX looks of place in most regions. Rural area GEX is terrible. I cannot fly rural mid-west with GEX they make Indiana look like Georgia. No distinction between regions and river areas. Think urban areas think UTX and GEX is good for, but rural rather just switch over to MSEv2 at that point.

Those screenshots made me run back hard to the FREE Blue Sky Scenery... :unsure:

You wont be running to Alabama though :rolleyes:

Interesting to see that all pictures are taken from above the airplane. That's the pov where photorealistic sceneries really shine. But when you only use cockpit view, the impact is less spectacular especially on planes where the dash and cowl just allow to see at distance where the sceneries is anyway blurred.

I made a comparative flight this week starting from CYQB to Bangor, half over GEX and half over MSE Maine and my conclusion are.

- external view from above are much better. But i personnaly dont use them in flight.

- forward view from cockpit, not much better in plain environment as you see too far in the distance. However a good effect is acheived in mountainous area where photoscenery give an advantage.

- Side window view, much better with photoscenery over 3000 ft

- below 3000 ft, photoscenery illusion degrade rapidly. In VFR, i usually switch from photoscenery to GEX before descending to land. In IFR, i will stay with photo as i prefer to keep the workload at normal pace without pause and i try not paying too much attention at the flat scenery (im training in RW for IFR and procedures are the focus for me at this point on IFR flights)

Hi there... Do you have your LOD_RADIUS setting turned up to 7.5 or 8.0 in the FSX.cfg? That will make a big difference to how crisp the imagery is out in the distance... See some shots I have made from the cockpit in New Hampshire (first 6 or so images on the page) - http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=715&category_id=89

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

No, I havent pushed the LOD up even if I have seen this recommendation from time to time. I have a 3 screen Surround system that put a lot of pressure on my whole system and I try to balance FPS with image quality. But I will give it a try to see what is the overall balance I can achieve.

I remark that the 3 shots made from the cockpit are when the airplane is in a descent attitude which brings in the field of view scenery that is not too distant ahead of the plane. I agree that in this context or when there is relief around, photoscenery is very good and beats GEX. My remark about VC view was in a context of a level flight at about 10000 ft, with no relief (plains) and where you see the ground only several miles ahead. In this context it doesnt make a lot of difference IMHO between GEX and photo as both does'nt show much ground details.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

You wont be running to Alabama though :rolleyes:

LOL I know. :P