Sign in to follow this  
DarkCharizma

Baton transfer practice Sat 1600z

I think we should try to get together tomorrow to practice baton transfers. The idea is to find an area with some close airports and do 10-minute flights between them for the sole purpose of drilling baton transfers, probably somewhere in the U.S. so we can have daylight.

I suggest starting at 1600z tomorrow. Feel free to propose a different time if it is bad for you, I realize it will be pretty early in the morning for some of the team members.

I think we should try to get together tomorrow to practice baton transfers.

I think wise idea... I'll try to put together some legs... 200nm sound ok?

I would suggest doing much, much shorter legs to get as many transfers as possible. Maybe 40-50nm at most, or even shorter. We don't necessarily need to use race a/c, some slower planes would do just fine for this. I think we just need enough distance so you can cruise for a few minutes to prepare your "Baton free" post before descending.

My thinking was to be able to get a P-51H to 30.000', level off & build race max speed, then the decent... so how about 80 to 100nm?

Shorter ones for GA types... longer for the jet 3s.

I just thought we should practice these in the same types and altitudes as used in the race... however "baton only" practice good too.

Yeah, my thinking was that we get a lot of practice doing actual flying in the normal practice, while we get almost no real time baton handoffs. But of course we should do a variety of legs in different aircrafts, but I think a maximum of 15-20 minutes per leg is best. On a 20-minute leg we could also simulate a diversion or two to train on that as well.

If we can find an area that has a large amount of airports we can get the freedom to do almost anything we want. I picked a random area of the US and zoomed in on it on SkyVector, it seems you guys have a lot of airports, so we could probably just fly anywhere :lol:

Btw, since they've added flight planning functionality to the site it seems to be a great option for planning the route... If it was just possible to export it in a reasonable way. I'll have to look into that.

If we can find an area that has a large amount of airports we can get the freedom to do almost anything we want.

Sure, we could do a round-robin starting in New England (Maine) down the Eastern Seaboard (East Coast) down one side of Florida then up on the Gulf side... roughly north to the Midwest (Illinois / Indiana) then back toward Maine... yes, there are quite a few airports.

And skyvector will be terrific now that WAC charts have been added (of course double checking miles in FS)

If it was just possible to export it in a reasonable way. I'll have to look into that.

You mean other than the "Link"? e.g. http://skyvector.com/?ll=36.005025715021034,-94.17005418932621&chart=416&zoom=3&plan=A.K4.KFYV:G.36.20712179229844,-93.71982823287304:A.K5.KDAY

we could do a round-robin starting in New England (Maine) down the Eastern Seaboard (East Coast)

Sounds good, I hear they are having some nice winter weather in the north-east ;)

You mean other than the "Link"

Yeah, I was thinking of some way to get the plans exported to FSX/FS9 format. If there was a way to simply get all the waypoints exported by name into a simple list, e.g. "KFYV KDAY KFSM", I could probably do something with it, but I havent' found a way to do that yet.

Gents, may I suggest that you use my VPN server for this event?

It is up and running, but we need to test the stability before the race.

Details in the private forum. If someone could update the pinned setup info, it would be nice!

Thank you,

Sven

GM Sven! Thank you for putting the server up and I hope you get to join us for a leg or two this year! For your VPN, I was able to connect however couldn't find an active session via my FS9.

Travis.png?dl=1

Not going to be able to join in at the beginning. Will try to join in before you wrap up.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

GM Sven! Thank you for putting the server up and I hope you get to join us for a leg or two this year! For your VPN, I was able to connect however couldn't find an active session via my FS9.

I't's up now, I dunno what happened.

/Sven