Sign in to follow this  
nrunning24

FSCaptain vs. FS Flight Keeper

Ladies and Gents,

I currently own FS Flight Keeper and while a great piece of software Ive recently have only been using it to log hours and check landing v/s rates. I have been looking at FSCaptain to add a little bit more with respect the flight experience. I am interested to hear peoples opinions who own the software (or both) and their impressions on some of the features.

FYI I have already flown 1 flight with the demo (KSEA-KLAX) and walked away with some mixed feelings.

I really like the integration it has inside the simulator with assigning gates per airline code and having reduced braking during snow and rain(did not experience it personally in my flight so comments on this are appreciated).

I also have some concerns:

- I fly a lot of different airlines (ie Alaska SEA-PHX, Southwest PHX-LAX, Westjet LAX-YVR) does FSCaptain save your progression from airline to airline or are you basically starting over again for every flight?

- Currently i use vroute for fuel planning however I am planning on get PFPX when it comes out and from my understanding it will provide its own dispatch release. Granted i can take the fuel load from PFPX and plug it into FSCaptain however the fuel burn and fuel at way-point calculations will be different and not as exact. So it seems that the dispatch report will become obsolete.

-I like the ability of importing schedules and flying random assigned routes however it seems if you import them from AI schedules your UTC offset for local time will not be correct for flights over multiple time zones.

Basically I'm wondering if its worth the $30ish bucks for gate assignments, a little better in flight experience and some reduced braking conditions in inclement weather. If I'm missing a feature that you find extremely valuable be sure to point it out. Just was curious what the communities opinion was on this.

Nick Running

You pick an airline to fly for ( kind of like a global setting for easy , medium , hard ) each airline has their own rules for grading pilots.

You pick the plane you want to fly for each flight. It doesn't matter how many you have. It is used for scheduling for flight distance, load outs .. etc..

I haven't done any flight schedule imports...so I can't help you there.