Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

DX10 or Prepar3d in future

How many of you are considering moving to Prepar3d 2.0 if it supports DX10 or DX11?

I have considered it, even the current version - but what stopped me - there is no DX10 only DX9 in this version!

I know for me, if I can still run my existing FSX compatible addons in P3D 2.0, and if I get DX10 or similar "benefits" from the rendering engine I'll be doing it.

This is question for us DX10 users - so please don't move it to the P3D forum (I don't mind boxing rings, but that place is like watching bloodsport :))

I use Xplane 10, P3D, and FSX DX10 here ... waiting to see what's in v2.0 ... but I'll be using all 3 products for a while. I haven't found enough in P3D v1.4 that would want to make me stop using XP10 or FSX DX10.

I'm staying away from P3D even if they upgrade to 2.0 and it is DX10 or DX11 compatible. FSX/DX10 works well for me. It's too early to tell what the upgrade to DX11 will bring to the sim too. FSX developers are starting to see the advantages of DX10 in their products and making sure products are compatible. It is nice though to hear rumblings of possible DX11 compatibility in a flight simulator software in the future. DX10 is over five years old now and I hope someone can somehow implement DX11 compatibility sooner.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well said, Jim:

I've been running "10" since late July without serious issues.. my main objection to it had always been the flickering interaction between runways and taxi-paths, and then Steve came on the scene and fixed it. I was surprised then, and I'm still surprised now how smooth it is; and the "look" of the water; he's done a great job, even if the night textures on some/many airports are still grey.. and like you said, Jim, there are FSX developers who are starting to see the advantages of DX10 in their products and making sure products are compatible. Mir of Flightbeam and Umberto for FSDT throwing their support behind it - and all of the SimAddons products (Canada east coast) being already compatible! We hope that others (FltTampa) do take their cue from these industry leaders.

Meanwhile... well, I never enjoyed night-flying, anyway... :ph34r:

P3D? I could well be wrong, but I believe the guys already using it are being used as guinea-pigs in the development of a commercial training aid, and one that will be very narrow in it's scope of what will be available to the flight school/collage/university/airline/. ........ and there will be no retail version.

2 cents, and I might well be wrong, and it won't be the first time! :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Well said, Jim:

I've been running "10" since late July without serious issues.. my main objection to it had always been the flickering interaction between runways and taxi-paths, and then Steve came on the scene and fixed it. I was surprised then, and I'm still surprised now how smooth it is; and the "look" of the water; he's done a great job, even if the night textures on some/many airports are still grey.. and like you said, Jim, there are FSX developers who are starting to see the advantages of DX10 in their products and making sure products are compatible. Mir of Flightbeam and Umberto for FSDT throwing their support behind it - and all of the SimAddons products (Canada east coast) being already compatible! We hope that others (FltTampa) do take their cue from these industry leaders.

Meanwhile... well, I never enjoyed night-flying, anyway... :ph34r:

P3D? I could well be wrong, but I believe the guys already using it are being used as guinea-pigs in the development of a commercial training aid, and one that will be very narrow in it's scope of what will be available to the flight school/collage/university/airline/. ........ and there will be no retail version.

2 cents, and I might well be wrong, and it won't be the first time! :lol:

It is hard to know what the future holds with this stupid hobby!!! LOL!! I did notice that even Flight 1 mentioned that they were going to do some products for PrePar3D but I think they may have been talking about their Tech part of the bussiness. More and more each day I am enjoying FSX with things like OPUS and ATC-Pro. I am thinking of switching back to DX-10 as it sure did make for a smooth experience. At this point it would be nice to see an update to the Reality XP GPS or new version that would use navigraph updates. I have never understood why Reality XP has not been developed and updated.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Every day I'm amazed at some of the really cool products that come out for FSX and the community support ... GSX, REX, MSE, FS Commander (on a separate PC) ... it can be a challenge to get everything working well together and who knows, maybe by 2020 there will be enough processing power that we can truly claim "everything maxed out with ALL add-ons at 6000 x 2000 resolution" :)

I'm at the point there I think I need to create an application just to manage all my add-ons and some of their quirks ... "FSX Add-On Manager" -- don't laugh, I'm serious!

I'm at the point there I think I need to create an application just to manage all my add-ons and some of their quirks ... "FSX Add-On Manager" -- don't laugh, I'm serious!

hah! I've had to create an excel sheet with the addons and the patch levels...

hah! I've had to create an excel sheet with the addons and the patch levels...

Me too, and I suspect other's do the same.

As long as developers like PMDG stay away from P3D, I'll wait. I'm running FSX in DX10 mode whenever I can.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have been on dx10 for about 2 months now(after using dx9 for many years)&after applying all the available corrections am really pleased with the sim over dx9. I have read different opinions about p3d on this forum & Ftx forums & see no need for switching. I ran into a small problem yesterday flying from Ksan to Kphx in that the inland lakes water disappeared. (not dx10 related). I have been flying with FTX NA activated & according to another post this is what caused the interior water to disappear. Anyway I am really grateful for these forums (thanks Paul) & developers that have made dx10 work so well

Good points, it's so hard to get so many addons setup nice, I wouldn't want to start again.

That is a worry if some devs aren't going to support it in the long term.

Interesting John Venema already knows ORBX is compatible with P3D 2.0, there may be some good collaboration going on which is good news. I guess some developers are looking ahead. Although ORBX being a VFR product and PMDG being for more serious flyers it's strange for PMDG to not support it when an obvious entertainment level product like ORBX is.

Anyway like others I think I'll watch the initial reviews carefully and see how the other guinea pigs go :)

.. it can be a challenge to get everything working well together and who knows, maybe by 2020 there will be enough processing power that we can truly claim "everything maxed out with ALL add-ons at 6000 x 2000 resolution" :)

You can put 100's of horses in front of a horse-Drawn carriage, maybe even an motor, but it will always be an horse-drawn carriage.

OT

Neither

Maybe xp some day..

I do believe smth totally different will rise :)

You can put 100's of horses in front of a horse-Drawn carriage

That will then be additional 100's of horses in front of the existing horse or horses

maybe even an motor, but it will always be an horse-drawn carriage.

if it has a motor then its not just horse drawn