Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Cable vs ADSL

Guest Dan CYKA

So in your minds whats faster and more reliable, The new High Speed Cable Internet Service, or the tried and true ADSL?Had a guy call and wants me to switch back but I'm a little reluctant. Could use some input as to your own experiances.

Guest drobson

I don't know anything about DSL, but here is what I get with my cable. Mind you, my speeds are advertised as 1500 down, and 256 up.2003-06-11 23:36:57 EST: 1719 / 239Your download speed : 1719728 bps, or 1719 kbps.A 209.9 KB/sec transfer rate.Your upload speed : 239880 bps, or 239 kbps.Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier! Pretty quick, IMO. My provider is Bresnan Communications, who bought out ATTBI/Comcast in my area.Darrell

Well, whatever you do stay the flying heck away from satellite svc.I kick myself each morning for forking out $800.00 for the eq. then another $160.00 for a "Custom Install".Man...:(

Capped at 2 Mb/s with Cable. Have seen upwards of 400-500 KB/s before they bumped the speeds down. ;( Very happy with my cable and would stick with it over DSL.Matt

Guest Joshieca

It all depends on where you live and your ISP...theres this company here in Sweden which is getting ready to bring ultra fast ADSL lines...a true 10mb line....should be cool.

Guest mikehaska

Cable isn't really "New" persay, especially considering it's been around for several years. However, I notice you are in BC. I assume Shaw will be providing your service? I can say that in Calgary, cable beats ADSL hands down. As well, I've had nothing but bad customer service with Telus. Shaw has customer support that's second to none.Anyway, I have cable, and I wouldn't switch to anything else!

At least here cable has been around for about 5 years longer than ADSL :-lolCable is theoretically faster, but that total higher bandwidth is shared among a group of users depending on the number of subscribers in your area that are online at the same time as you and the number of nodes the cable company installs (many cable companies install few nodes, the hardware is quite expensive...).ADSL is faster in practice as you have a dedicated line with the bandwidth you pay for (which is usually guaranteed).For example, the cable company here advertises with 10MB lines, but those are shared between hundreds of users.My ADSL line is 1MB, but that's all my own.ADSL at least here is also more reliable, but that's mainly due to the quality of the ISP.

Guest cw1011

I am mostly satisfied with my cable system. I've also had plain DSL which I also liked a great deal. You do see performance drop during the early evening when everyone is on-line - it is noticeable but not all that bad. If you already have cable, it's probably the most affordable broadband going since, here at least in Portland, you get a discount. DSL is in general more expensive. Check out the customer service record of your cable company, however. Some have terrible down time records. Colin