Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Does everyone use TOPCAT?

Hi all,

Does everyone use TOPCAT for performance data and running their numbers? If not, what do you use?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I just make an uneducated guess and then see what result the FMC spits back at me. Normally it is fairly accurate. ...

G

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk. Typing errors expected....

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Fsbuild for fuel and route planning. I usually double derate if the runway is long enough.

Never saw the need for topcat in my simming.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

Yes, I use it. Many do not as you can see though. I like to fly realistically, with varied payload and in to shorter runways that make things more challenging. If you always fly from 12,000' runways at see level, then you can essentially use the maximum derate every time. Flying from higher density altitudes like Innsbruck, with shorter runways, you could get in to trouble with this. I could try guessing, but then at some point with that I'd end up with a realistic crash for lack of realistic planning. At the moment though, TOPCAT is limited for use on the NGX. I may be getting my versions wrong...I haven't I haven't flown a supported version for a while (been playing around with teh -600). I believe it's that -800 that works fine. The -700 in there I think uses an upgraded engine from PMDG (24k thrust instead of 22k...or similar). I could have these two mixed up. And the -600 and -900 aren't included at all. Word is once they release PFPX (flight planner being made from the same people), they will update the profiles to cover the NGX. There is an "old" program named UTOPIA. It stands for something like Universal Take Off Performance something. It's from back in the FS9 days and had profiles from PMDG's old legacy NG series. I use this currently for stuff not supported by TOPCAT. It is much more limited though, not even allowing you to pick which flaps you want ot use.

Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

I think TOPCAT is great . It also provides you with remaining runway-length so you could easily check if you are clear for intersections takeoff. It also gives you a payload forward and AFT distribution which may be the best spot of CG i guess.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

It just seems so pricey for what it does. Seems like it would be a function of a larger tool

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Another vote for TOPCAT as a must-have for serious simulation.

Soon to be joined by PFPX, of course.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Agreed, and my TopCat will integrate seamlessly into PFPX when I get it :)

23.png

What's going on with PFPX...last message was available "shortly" after Christmas but it's almost halfway through feb.

What's going on with PFPX...last message was available "shortly" after Christmas but it's almost halfway through feb.

Well, they're quite delayed at the moment. The latest on their forums is that beta 0.9.8.8 has been pushed to the testers. Not sure what this means, as technically there are infinite numbers before v1.0. The big announcement this week is that their Navdata has been verified to come from Aerosoft which will provide updates with their package. They also posted a video with information on the details of the ETOPS planning. I am eagerly awaiting this product....perhaps my most anticipated product of the year. Of course, the PMDG 777 to go with it will be nice.

Eric Szczesniak

I use TOPCAT for the MD-11 and the 747-400 but for the NGX it is the seat of the paints and loooong runways.

Michael Cubine

FSBuild's burn profile is usually accurate enough for me.

One thing to remember is that Topcat isn't a fuel planner. It gives you an gestimate of the fuel required so you have some figure to run the number with.

What you can do with Topcat, is calculate intersection takeoff and what speed and flaps are required to clear obstacles.