Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

SSD is almost full - what next?

I am not too computer savy so I need a little help here.

I have a pretty new computer that runs FSX great. The SSD is 124 GB and only has 11 GB left on it and a 1.5 Tb drive that is empty. Windows7, FSX and all the addons are on the SSD. The computer is 100% dedicated to FSX, no other software on it.

Can I start using the 1.5 Tb drive for addon scenery and planes (I posted a similar question before and someone said to copy FSX.exe to the empty drive. But do I need to move the entire FSX file with all addons, scenery over, or can FSX operate using data on 2 different disk drives?

A little explaination of this wil help me alot. Specifically if yes, what folders I need to set up. I was about to erase all the default planes in FSX that take up memory - maybe I can move them into a separate directory?

Thank You to anyone who can takle this question for me.

Paul

Paul Gugliotta

I am using a similar setup yours. FSX on SSD, addon scenery on HDD. Just copy fsx.exe to a folder and when installing addons point the directory where it is located. No need for copying all of the folders.

My way - provided you have the money - would be to buy a larger SSD - maybe 256 or larger.

Then use the free version of Paragon Backup and recovery to backup your 128 SSD then transfer the backup to the larger SSD. You could then use the smaller SSD for scenery etc - the 1.5 TB I would use for backups and storage - you could use it for scenery as well - just point FSX to it when in the scenery library as dannyterrazza says.

There are a lot of options - but money is the bugbear.

Denis

backup your 128 SSD then transfer the backup to the larger SSD.

Denis

I did that with Acronis but remember that some addon need to revalidate Licence Like PMDG etc.

The best option if funds allow is to buy a second SSD copy your whole FSX folder to the second SSD and use mklink to link your original FSX folder to your new FSX location. After installing the new drive and setting it up in windows and copying FSX and doing the below takes about 10 min. If you stop for a coffee break :)

http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/archives/5674

This option allows all the registry entries to still point to the correct place. You can then install any additional/supporting FSX programmes to your 1.5TB drive. I tend to do this but still install scenery to the SSD due to its speed.

By all means stick it on your 1.5 TB drive and keep in mind, this is a standard drive and is not quite as quick as an SSD and all depends on your circumstances the choice is yours.

I like the simplier option for now what DannyT is saying.

Let's say I want to move all the planes I don't fly and all new planes like the new 777 to the 1.5 TB drive.

The planes are in c(the SSD drive):FSX/simobjects/airplanes

I made a new folder setting it up in D(the 1.5 TB drive):FSX/simobjects/airplanes and put the Mooney into that. Now it doesn't show up on the start up screen as an option. How will FSX look for the new planes on the D drive?. This is the part that need "slow" explaination to me.

The fsx.exe copy option sounds good, but am I moving FSX over to the new drive, or willit be simultaneously installed on both folders?

Paul Gugliotta

You can't move airplanes to the other drive. You should install them under FSX folder. You can move add on sceneries besides OrbX to another drive.

When my SSD began to run out of space I created a 'Hangar" folder on my 1.5TB HD. I have a bunch of addon airplanes that I rarely fly -- these I moved to the new folder (making sure not to move any stock or AI airplanes in the process). Freed up a bunch of space on my SSD that way.

Whenever I want to fly one of the planes in my 'Hangar", I simply move its folder(s) back into FSX's /Simobjects/Airplanes folder and away I go.

I think the easiest way is to move the contents of one or more folders to your second drive and then create a junction link back to the original folder(s). If you don't want to move your entire "airplanes" folder, an option would be to create a new "hanger" folder and add it to your fsx.cfg. That's how I do my AI. Of course, anything you move won't have advantage of SSD load times, but that's the

trade you have.

scott s.

There are some sceneries like Aerosoft or ORBX that absolutely want and need to be in the "real" FSX directory. Most others can be installed (or moved) anywhere and you can just modify your scenery config to point to the new location. As has been said already, aircraft should not be moved except if not needed. Even then one has to be careful.

I was in a situation similar to yours and have now about 50 % of my sceneries on the HDD whereas FSX is on the SDD. Everythig works fine.

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320

I freed up some space now I have 22 GB left on the SSD out of 124 GB. Creating the junction link and adding it to the .cfg may be good, but it'll be like explaining brain sugery to me.

I like the idea of moving all the unused planes to a hangar folder on the 1.5TB. I have only 3 addon planes, the PDMG 747, the 737NGX and the LD767. I want to move over the default FSX planes to the hangar. Is that advisable - or will that affect my traffic (I have UT2).

So I guess I copy the entire FSX folder and all it contents to the 1.5 TB drive and when I install a new scenery or plane I install it under that directory on the 1.5 TB drive. But when I start up FSX I use the SSD - correct?

Will this work?. When FSX looks for teh new 777, will it search both drives?

Paul

Paul Gugliotta

You could also use a program called "steamMover.exe". Its a free program that is used for the steamplatform. All games you download there need to be in a specified folder and sooner or later your drive will be full. You then can use SteamMover te move the actual folder, but W7 stil "thinks" it it is in the same place.

SteamMover is used to create junctionpoints and works fine with any folder you want to move.

Jos

Jos van Grevenstein 

21 NM north of EHAM

Just so you know, the SSD works best at around 60% full, you also decrease its life expectancy when you fill it beyond this point.

Get a bigger SSD and re-install FS

Jack Cannon

Just so you know, the SSD works best at around 60% full, you also decrease its life expectancy when you fill it beyond this point.

Get a bigger SSD and re-install FS

I am using like %90 capacity of SSD.

Just so you know' date=' the SSD works best at around 60% full, you also decrease its life expectancy when you fill it beyond this point.

Get a bigger SSD and re-install FS[/quote']

that's only true with mechanical hard drives, not SSD.