Sign in to follow this  
DIYFriend

Is there a 3d modelling exporter for x-plane 10 that actually works?

Hi guys,

i have been reading about this for a while and no one seems to reallyl provide a definite answer... and i cannot seem to get the default x-plane 10 /planemaker exporter to work.

i am modelling a new aircraft in Blender that i intend to import into X-plane (which isnt a problem). However, once i have tweeked its basic design in planemaker, i need to be able to export it back into blender to continue 3d modelling of the finer details. The exporter that comes with xplane 10 /planemaker doesn't seem to do anything when i click on the export function!

1. How do you guys who develop aircraft for x-plane 10 do all your 3d modelling?

2. How do i "export" a 3d file out of x-plane 10 /planemaker? (i am looking to export into either Blender or 3ds max compatible .obj format)

thanks

adam

here:

http://www.steptosky....php?topic=28.0

for me the best exporter. If you want import, you have to do it in blender with the plugins for blender. Look in google. They are easy to find.

Hi Japo, does this work with x-plane 10 and Blender 2.6. The plugins i googled only work with x-plane 9 and blender 2.4!

a guys who is well known on youtube for his planemaker to blender tutorials emailed me the other day and said that i needed to xport the model from xplane 10 back to xplane 9, then use those scripts to get it into blender 2.49...then go from blender 2.49 to blender 2.6! To use his words, it should "only take about 25 minutes" to complete the task! ( thats a hell of a long time just to export a model out of plane maker into blender 2.6!

ps it wasnt quite as simple as i have put it as there is a layering issue between objects in 10 versus 9 that one has to deal with apparently (i havent studied this for my self and without that knowledge im in the dark)

First Things First - I am VERY new to both X-plane and Blender. That said, I have managed ti import to Blender 2.5x but it is really a workaround and not particularly elegant.

1. You can not (to my limited knowledge) export / import TO Blender 2.5x directly - If you can, please someone let me know.

2. You need TWO versions of Blender (2.6x AND 2.4x) installed. Also you need TWO versions of XPLANE2BLENDER, the one by very clever Marginal ( http://marginal.org....nery/tools.html ) and Version 3.20 ( https://github.com/d.../XPlane2Blender ) by very clever Ondrej Brinkel The first gets installed to the Verson 2.4x Blender and the second to Blender 2.6x. The installation processes are different!

3. Take two aspirin and come back in the morning

4. Export your lovingly made model from planemaker as an obj file - I use the same directory as the original model.

5. Open Blender 2.4x and import the obj to that Blender version using the installed Marginal script - lots of tutorials on that available..

6. Save the model in Blender 2.4x as a Blender file- you dont need to export it as an ACF file.

7. Close Blender 2.4x and open Blender 2.6x

8. Open the saved .blen file in Blender 2.6x

9. Make your changes and export from Blender 2.6x to planemaker using the installed Xplane2blender script, which is relatively simple.

Now, this is pretty complicated for a simple, inexperienced one such as I. But (I am not sure) I think the Blender 2.6 export is essential for X-Plane v10.x If you are on X-plane V9.x I think you can get away with merely using Blender 2.4x straight - corrections alwys welcome.

Take 2 asprin and come back in the morning...

Good Luck

EDIT: I have just worked out that I am using Blender 2.65 - but the process is still the same!

Edited by hangar-rat

However, once i have tweeked its basic design in planemaker, i need to be able to export it back into blender to continue 3d modelling of the finer details.

The model from planemaker is better used for flight model only and your actual visible model you would be better to make completely in Blender. You should not need to keep exporting out of planemaker.

In xptools there is a utility called ObjConverter which will convert obj files to 3ds which you can then import into blender if you really want to do that way. Another point too is if you have ticked any make invisible in the expert menu, then it will not export out those that are invisible.

There is a lot of info available over at http://forums.x-plane.org - in the tutorials forum there is a series of videos start to finish on building a payware quality aircraft. You will find a lot of useful information there.

GL Regards

thats helpful. i use the x-plane>blender2.49>blender 2.65 option. havent gone the other way yet, cause i still have to learn how to do the layers thing for x-plane first?

The model from planemaker is better used for flight model only and your actual visible model you would be better to make completely in Blender. You should not need to keep exporting out of planemaker.

In xptools there is a utility called ObjConverter which will convert obj files to 3ds which you can then import into blender if you really want to do that way. Another point too is if you have ticked any make invisible in the expert menu, then it will not export out those that are invisible.

There is a lot of info available over at http://forums.x-plane.org - in the tutorials forum there is a series of videos start to finish on building a payware quality aircraft. You will find a lot of useful information there.

GL Regards

where does one find xptools? (i have looked in my x-plane folder but am having trouble finding it)