Sign in to follow this  
DIYFriend

stop the steering screeching in X-plane

just a quick one,

how do i stop the steering from screeching in xplane when im taxing??? Its driving me nuts!!! (and for all those comedians amongst you...im not trying to send the back end of the aircraft sideways like a speedway car whilst doing 100 knots down the strip! ^_^ :P )

just a quick one,

how do i stop the steering from screeching in xplane when im taxing??? Its driving me nuts!!! (and for all those comedians amongst you...im not trying to send the back end of the aircraft sideways like a speedway car whilst doing 100 knots down the strip! ^_^ :P )

You could go into "Settings"->"Sounds" and set to zero the volume of the "ground contact" slider. You will stop also the other ground contact sounds though (ground roll, hard landing, etc.)

Alternatively, go to the "Resources"->"Sounds"->"Contact" folder inside the X-Plane folder, and edit the "skid_dry.wav" file lowering or zeroing its volume (you will need an audio editor). In this case, remember than any time you will update X-Plane, it will detect the file being modified and will ask you to restore it to the original one.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

just a quick one,

Have you tried letting some air out of the tires? Maybe it's over inflated. LOL

But seriously, it is very annoying and I wonder why is it that it happens so frequently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Have you tried letting some air out of the tires? Maybe it's over inflated. LOL

But seriously, it is very annoying and I wonder why is it that it happens so frequently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ahahaha!!!

on a more technical note, is there some reason why x-plane does it...my joystick and rudder is not a simple on/off setup (or left/right) it is a progressive one...so i dont understand why x-plane rudder looks as if it simply goes full left or full right!

Where do i go to alter the settings so that it isnt so touchy on the nosewheel steering and rudder?

Following this topic, would love to know also.

It really is weird. I was watching a video the other day of someone taxiing a 777 in X-Plane showing of the graphics, and all you could here is that bloody tire screeching, ruined what otherwise was a great video.

• Upvote 1

Where do i go to alter the settings so that it isnt so touchy on the nosewheel steering and rudder?

Go to "Settings"->"Joystick & Equipment"->"Nullzone", move the three RIGHT sliders to full right ("FULL-RIGHT for non linear"). You can also trying increase somewhat the nullzone with the slider below.

Marco

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Go to "Settings"->"Joystick & Equipment"->"Nullzone", move the three RIGHT sliders to full right ("FULL-RIGHT for non linear"). You can also trying increase somewhat the nullzone with the slider below.

Marco

awesome, altering the sliders to the right to 75% worked a treat. many thanks its so good not to have that problem anymore.

Hi All,

Personally, I see no benefit to even having the screeching tires at all in the sim!

I would recommend this feature be removed as you will never hear anything like that in the cockpit of any plane.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

It seems to be dependent on the plane. I've notice that Carenado planes do not have screeching tires (or at least they don't screech nearly as loudly as the default Cessna).

The Carenado's baron replaced them with creaking strut sounds, which while more appropriate for a Cessna is a welcome relief.

In fact, I heard this kind of sound only few times in specific strong crosswind condition at touchdown (during my training mostly). It never last more than a fraction of a second though. That’s how flat spot are crated on tires.

I agree, LR should fix it to be more realistic.

I replaced the tyre screech WAV with a more subtle ground rumble WAV, solved the problem for me without having to turndown sliders affecting other sounds.

Are these instructions for Xplane10? Because I have 11 and I can not find a NULL ZONE anywhere in the joystick area, the screeching tires are driving me nuts too lol, how do I fix this in XP11?

What I understood for the cause (from Ben on the dev blog, who got it from Austin himself): X-Plane calculates the position of the pivoting wheel every single frame. There is no interpolation with the previous position, this makes for abrupt changes in friction, and this causes the screeching noises. It shouldn't be  too difficult to fix, if this is indeed the cause (I think they talked about interpolating the position between frames).