Sign in to follow this  
jankees

B-17 Sweet Dish

B-17G 44-6596 LG-P "Sweet Dish" of the 322nd BS/ 91st BG based in Bassingbourne UK. She arrived in Bassingbourne on the 4th of November 1944 and flew her first mission 5 days later, after which she was assigned to Lt Bob Roach and his crew. He suggested naming her Sweet Dish, after his wife, who was known to the crew. Tony Starcer painted her portrait, based on a pocket photograph. By war's end, she had completed 46 missions , including 24 flown by BoB Roach. Her hairiest mission was to Berlin on 5 December. Flak knocked out no.1 engine and set fire to no.2. During the dive to eliminate the fire, the engineer bailed out, and the navigator and bomb aimer followed him. The fire was extinguished however, and 'Sweet Dish' flew home on two engines. They counted 365 holes in the ship next day, and it took until the end of december to get her in the air again. At the end of the war, she took groups of ground crew on two flights over the damaged cities of Germany, so that they too could see the effect of their work, and in May she helped repatriate released PoW's. In june 1945, she flew back to the States, where she was scrapped at Kingman, Arizona in December 1945.

ss4702.jpg

ss4712.jpg

ss4716.jpg

ss4724.jpg

ss4725.jpg

ss4728.jpg

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

Nice paint!

Give her some guns! :biggrin:

I like the low angle of the first image, the contrails in the fifth image, and the close-up last image!

Nice paint!

Give her some guns! :biggrin:

And where do you find these guns?

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

?

I did find a Flak addon. I have not tested it yet, so I have no idea if it works. Also the formation tool (fly with a few computer controlled planes) - also not tested but I am heading in that direction as time permits.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21417

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfx

Btw - nice story jankees

Rob

Brilliant Shots

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Spook, you may have guns, but you'd better talk to your crew chief, because he does a terrible job maintaining your aircraft..

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

And where do you find these guns?

The gun effects are from Paul *Gyspy Baron* of the 91st bomb group http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/ Its an awesome group of people there dedicated to replicating ww2 bombing missions useing the A2A B17, flying online together.

The Flak you found probably was by him too, and that works very well indeed. Replicating Flak damage was on the cards a while ago but Paul said it would be very time consuming - but in the meantime he added turbulance effects in some of the flak areas to throw you round abit :)

Register with the site and take a look the the quartermasters office - theres a tone of stuff to bring your B-17 to life :)

Spook, you may have guns, but you'd better talk to your crew chief, because he does a terrible job maintaining your aircraft..

Well, to be fair to the poor fella, he done a good enough job to get me to the target and home again :) The plane took a battering on this mission from heavy accurate FLAK over Bremen hence the state of it. They got a hydrolic line for the gear but that was all :)

Thanks Luke!

Just an FYI for anyone heading for the 91st site. I had to refresh the site (and pages) to get them to show.

Rob