Sign in to follow this  

Goin' flyin'! Can my 1-yr-old come?

Guest Stompy

Hi! I'm not a pilot, so when my wife told me she was getting me a plane ride for Farther's Day I was really excited. The she popped a question I didn't actually have the answer for.... I've got a one year old son. Can he go up with me? Does he need a special seat or something? Beyond the technical and FAA questions...has anyone else taken up a child this young? Did they actually enjoy it? Was it too loud?It's funny...it's always been my dream to get a license and fly my family out to see relatives and stuff but it never occurred to me that not everyone would be able to go with me..."Bye, little Timmy!!!!" :-lolTIA!

A person can hold in their lap a child under two years of age provided the adult is properly belted in and briefed on the seat belts etc

Guest Stompy

Thank you very much! Somehow I lost my bookmark to the FARs and it always takes me forever to find them again, but besides that it's always good to get real-world advice too.Thanks!So, anyone have any suggestions or words of warning?

Hi.Not knowing what type of aircraft we are talking about some of these may not apply to you.Present this question to the FBO / pilot that will take you up, and make sure they know ahead of time, they can give more detailed instructions.Normally it is not much of a problem, but be prepared to return as soon as you observe a discomfort from the child.Some things you may want to do:Keep altitudes, bank angle and rate of climb on the low side < 6000, 20 deg., 500 FPM.Use your own senses, if you feel your ears acting up, it is likely that you are climbing too fast.Make sure you get something in his mouth that helps him to swallow continuously, not necessarily food.Eat a light meal before you go up, but have something solid and on the dry side.After takeoff make sure that he can look forward and has some way of looking at long distance, not at the instrument panel.Have fresh air, but not directed right at the child.I would look into some

Guest Stompy

Geez, now I feel like I'm not really ready for this!! Just kidding. Thanks a lot for the info. I don't actually know what's going on. I don't even know for sure we'll be able to go up. For all I know there's going to be terrible weather. Of course, that would be fine by me, but knowing that airport we wouldn't actually be able to land. ;-)I'm hoping for a 172 or similar, but I really have no clue. Oh, I should mention that her original plan was to get me a glider ride and I told her no. HA! I tried not to be too harsh, and gently explained that if I was going up I wanted it to be in a real plane. :( We're planning to go to Stanton (KSYN) for their annual Father's Day pancake breakfast, and she's going to buy me a ride. That's the extent of my knowledge. And probably hers too, for that matter. Once we get there I have a feeling it will be up to me to speak "plane" english to the people in charge. I really hope my son enjoys it, but at the same time I don't want to miss out because he decides to get cranky and we're forced to land. Plus he's very grabby, so I'll have to keep him as far away from the panel as possible and I won't actually be able to see most of it. So I'm a little torn. Hey, maybe we'll have to turn around right away, she'll feel sorry for me, and let me take flying lessons. :-bigangel Oh, to dream.Well, I guess since I started this I might as well make a commitment to follow up and let y'all know how it went in case you're interested. Thanks!

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I personally recommend that you DON'T do this.First of all, there will be plenty of times you can share this love with your son. But right now, unless you are experienced to handle and deal with his needs in this environment, I think it is a bad idea. (sorry for not pulling punches. :-))Children can have very different reactions to flying and until you can assess these reactions slowly, this ride could be a waste of your money.If you do bring him up, be prepared to come immediately back to the airport. Be prepared to protect his ears--both from the noise and the altitude changes. Their nasal and ear canals are not developed like ours at that age (thus the reason why a baby can drink (nurse) and breath at the same time). They can not readily relieve the pressure in their ears during the climb and descent, so you need to either bring a bottle, a "binky", or something else to suck on.I have a 4 yo and a 2 1/2 yo of my own that I have taken flying with me. However, they were both in their carseats, mom was on board to tend to their needs, we had sippy-cups they could drink from to relieve ear pressure, we had suckers they could suck on to relieve ear pressure, we had comfort items, and I WAS PREPARED AND INFORMED THE TOWER THAT I MAY NEED TO IMMEDIATELY REENTER THE PATTERN FOR A LANDING.At that age, this is not something that should not be taken lightly (which you are already aware of since you asked a very good question). Kudos to you.Here is a very good article on the subject:http://avweb.com/news/columns/182653-1.html_____________________________Jeff S. KDTWPP-ASEL IR

Guest Stompy

Wow, thanks! I didn't even think to check avweb or other sites like it. I think this might come down to the PIC's decision. If it's busy and stuff I won't even ask, but otherwise, I'll try to chat up the pilot and see what s/he thinks about it. Maybe the decision will be made for me. But then I haven't read the article yet either...off I go.

I am with Jeff on this.. I strongly advise against doing this. You will probably end up in a 150 or 172, and you will most likely be given the left seat. You won't have room for the child in your lap, and you sure don't want a 1 year old banging around in the back. The noise and mayhem will most certainly put the stress factor for your son seriously up there. Not a good idea IMHO.

Guest Rockcliffe

I'm with the others. A one-year-old won't get anything from the flight and, geez, it's father's day, the flight's for you. Enjoy it.I found it hard to even go on the freeway when my kids were that young, knowing that it might take a while to reach an off ramp if we needed to.BlairCYOW

Guest SoarPics

Gotta agree with the folks who believe this to be a bad idea. For all the reasons they mention.My daughter was 7 before I took her for her first glider ride. Even then, I elected to turn the PIC duties over to a friend... I wanted to have my complete concentration on her and her needs, feelings, possible fears, etc. We flew a Schweizer 2-32 (2 1/2 seats), and after release from tow I allowed her to sit on Daddy's lap so she could easily see out... and I could know immediately if she was having any problems. Clearly, your son will not remember the event at his young age. Perhaps after he gets older you will BOTH enjoy the experience... together.Enjoy your flight,

Guest Stompy

Thanks very much to everyone! Not to diminish the opinions of 2 people, but considering the additional number of "nay's" I think I'd better stop trying to talk myself into this. I really appreciate the honest and direct answers...and the research info, too.You know, I love this place. It needs more furniture, but the people sure are nice and helpful! :-)Thnk you very much all!

Hi.>>Not to diminish the opinions of 2 people, but considering the additional number of "nay's"<

Guest Stompy

>Hi.>>>>Not to diminish the opinions of 2 people, but considering>the additional number of "nay's"<<>>Whatever you decide it

Hi.>>it will come down to the PIC. Then, 5 minutes later, it will come down to my son. <

Guest Stompy

Ha! Story of our lives! What amazing power. :-)