Sign in to follow this  

Goin' flyin'! Can my 1-yr-old come?

Take him.JimCYWG

Guest Stompy

Okay, the extremely short version of the story is that all three of us went up, we all had a great time, and I got to fly.I'll come back later with the expanded, multi-page version. It's gonna be a long one, so you start making the popcorn and I'll be back in a couple of hours.

Hi.I hope you got some pics, that he can use as proof of his first flight, when he will command the first Martian Space vehicle. I forgot to mention, you may have been able to log part of that flight, if your PIC was a CFI. TV

Guest SoarPics

This is terrific!!! Glad your plans worked out and you all had fun.:-beerchug As I write this I'm looking at an old, yellowed news clipping of my Father. In it he is 1 1/2 yrs old and standing in front of the left wheel of the Spirit of St. Louis. It was shot in 1929, during one of Lindbergh's many public appearences after his historic flight across the Atlantic. That clipping was one of his (and his Father's) most prized possessions. And it had alot to do with both of them spending their lives in aviation.Maybe your son will have a photo like that in his life.

Guest Stompy

***Oh my God. This is a freaking documentary***My manusript is finally back from the publisher!Copyright 2003 :-lolOkay, so my weekend started off with a bang. I got up Saturday morning, turned on the computer, and it kindly beeped twice to let me know there was a message on the screen: No boot device found.All the pictures of my son, starting back to the day he was born and thru his first haircut and first birthday party, were gone. I couldn't get the computer to see the drive no matter what I did.Luckily, things picked up greatly from there.By Sunday morning, my husbandly instincts were telling me that I should try my best to take Parker (my son) up in the plane with me. We got to Stanton Airfield (KSYN) at about 9am and both (uh, my wife and I) uttered a few choice words at the sheer number of planes, cars, and people on the grounds. I had no idea it was going to be that big.Around 9:30 we were still in line to get our breakfast, and the sun was already killing me. I also noticed several people were talking to the person standing behind the "Plane rides here" table, but decided I'd better not rock the boat. People get crabby when they're hot and haven't eaten yet. Breakfast was nice, but I wasn't really hungry anyway. Well, I was hungry, but the hangar we were in was pretty much blocking all views of the planes and runway, so I was in a hurry to get into the open.(I'll try to get to the point here)We decided that we weren't really prepared to spend a large amount of time there, so Steph (wife) went back home to get supplies. While she was gone I sat with Parker and watched him watch the planes. He looked pretty happy with the situation and the sounds weren't scaring him, so I kept jumping from one plane's shadow to the next, getting closer and closer to the runway.(If I ever buy a plane, I want something with high wings)Before long we were in the "front row" and he was having a blast. He never took his eyes off the planes as they taxied, took off, and landed directly in front of us. I tried desperately and repeatedly to keep the earplugs in his ears, but he wasn't interested in that. But it didn't seem dangerously noisy, and any time it got bad I covered his ears.(I'll get to the flight, hang on)Okay, so she comes back, I go get signed up, and then get directed to a PIC to ask about taking my 1 year old up. He tells me to go get the carseat from our car. Oh, and he also mentions that it's REALLY bumpy out there. I shot a quick glance at Steph, but her eyes weren't bugging out, so I figured I was still safe. Oh, right...I should mention that the people in charge are sending groups of people up at a time so Steph decided to go up as well so that we had a better chance of having the plane to ourselves, and so I might be able to sit up front. Also, one of the ladies there said she wouldn't charge us for Parker, which was extremely cool since he would actually be taking up space with his carseat instead of just being held. It's now 1:30!!!(All right, thanks for your patience...here we go)There I was, in the right hand seat (I was unknowingly stepping on the rudder pedals while shoving myself into the seat...I hope I didn't hit anyone with the rudder) and I think I was giggling the whole time. Engine startup was almost guaranteed to startle Parker, but by this time, he was pretty well exhausted since he spent naptime watching planes instead of, well, napping. Plus he was in his nice comfy carseat, so he spent the entire time looking out the windows and sucking on his pacifier. (I gave away the ending there)We never went above 2,000 AGL and while it was pretty bumpy, the pressure was good the whole time. After we overflew our house (which I had THE HARDEST time spotting), the magic happened:"Do you want to fly?"I sat there with a stupid look on my face and could only utter, "Do I FLY, or do I WANT to fly?" (I was so busy soaking everything in that I didn't really hear what he asked me)."Yeah, do you wanna fly?"The stupid giggles came back and I nodded my head so hard my sunglasses almost flew off. After I grabbed the yoke with a grip so hard it would crush the Hulk's hand (compared to the tumb and forefinger the pilot was using...ha!) he had me do a left turn, then a right turn, then after that I don't really remember because I was flying a freaking plane!!!!The first time he had me pitch down, however, was not one of my finer moments. I eased down on the yoke, my body pitched forward, so I inadvertently pushed on the yoke harder, and then the bottom dropped out from under us. So there. Now I know what negative g's feel like in a small plane. :-)After a quick apology to everyone on board, we continued on for a bit. I have to say I did pretty dang well, too. I was maintaining altitude very well, and considering how bumpy it was, I was doing a pretty good job of staying in control. Once we got about 600 agl and not very far at all from the runway, the pilot took over again. (I love this part)"You're a natural at this...you should take flying lessons!"I'm trying not to let that statement go to my head...I was almost expecting it. Not because I think I actually did that well, but because, well, he's a CFI, and you know, he'd probably like to teach someone how to fly...it sorta pays the bills, I understand. So I'm not taking what he said to heart, but at the same time I wonder how many other people he offers control to (probably all of them), and how many do something that makes him NOT want to teach them! :-)As we were taxiing back, he asked if I worked with heavy machinery or anything, which struck me as a very odd question, but then I was still not quite focused on listening to human speak. I gave him another stupid look and a slight shake of my head (which he probably didn't see since he wasn't looking at me). He replied, "'Cuz you've got a pretty good touch...most people that do heavy machinery don't tend to yank on the controls the way people that sit in front of a computer do." :-xxrotflmaoI've got pictures, but they're not great ones. I snapped a couple of Parker in his seat, but for all anyone knows he's in a car. A couple others are of me holding him in front of the plane we just got out of. They're behind me on a little table in my office right now.That was easily one of the best days of my entire life. I don't care how, but one way or another I absolutely must become a pilot. I have to get back up there. I need to get back up there. I belong up there.Oh, and my hard drive is just fine now, so all the pictures and everything are saved (and backed up to CD...several of them). I don't know what happened, or if it's going to do it again, so I bought a new one. The old one is serving up extra space right now because I don't trust it.

Hi, Stompy.You are quite a writer. I am glad things went well for you. I

Guest Stompy

Hi! Thank you!Well, I figure if I was any kind of writer I would have been able to relate the story in less than 8,000 words. :-)I'm glad things went well too...because they could very easily have gone very badly. I really do respect and appreciate all the advice and suggestions I got. I don't mean to make it sound like I set out to prove everyone wrong, either. For all I know he'll absolutely freak the next time he's in a plane, so everything I've read here will stay with me as part of my growing experience, and I don't consider this 15 minute flight to be a real answer to the question. Who knows, maybe someday a parent will ask me, the PIC, if he can bring his son aboard and I'll be able to answer as coherently and helpfully as you all have for me.I would like nothing better than to pursue the license, and I'll spring at the first opportunity. I would give up just about everything for the chance. But those opportunities seem very far and few between due to monetary restrictions and the fact that my wife will kill me if I take a pay cut. I'm still hopeful, though. It's going to happen someday, I just know it is.

Guest Lindy

I enjoyed reading what happened. You DO have a flair for writing. I understand your desire to share the experience with your son... I'm glad it went well for everyone, especially for him. Now I hope you thanked your wife for the great Father's Day present. -Lindy :-wave

Guest Stompy

Hiya Lindy! Yes, actually as we were piling into the Explorer (dang slow, low flying piece of junk) reality started creeping back in and it suddenly occurred to me to thank her. *PHEW!* As I recall, she then thanked me for not killing us all. ;-)

Hi Stompy,I'm glad it worked out for you, and that you all got to go. I've been asked to take a little-one with people that I've taken up in the 172SP, and I've always denied the request. I just don't want that additional level of potential issues when he/she wants to get off. But, each PIC has their own response to such a request.Do you think you'll take up flying?Bruce.

Guest Stompy

There is no doubt in my mind. I just need the money. Or, alternatively, find a way to not need money any more. I thought I was pretty close for a while these past few weeks. I found out after the fact that my (lovely!) wife was checking into the costs involved, and my father in law was considering buying ONE lesson for me (I believe my wife's exact reply was, "One lesson?! Who's supposed to pay for the rest of them!?" :-lol ) but that's as close as I've gotten so far.

I hope you do get the chance to do this. I started in 1991 in the SFO Bay Area, then quit after 20 hours or so. Took it up again in 2001 (here in CO), got my ticket, and am now doing my instrument rating training. It's got to be the closest thing to a perfect life as I can imagine, even the $100 an hour to rent the SP.Be forever mindful, though- that your family is really the best thing you'll ever have. I never realized that fact until it was all too late.... :)Bruce.

Guest Rockcliffe

Glad the flight went well Stompy.I started into flight training myself this year, belatedly at 40, but soon realized it was beyond my means. Every time I went to book dual time, I'd think about my girls' university education funds and feel too guilty to do it.I did the ground school and got a few hours of air time in, so I have that in my back pocket should I ever come into a a few thousand bucks and plenty of spare time.Sure wish I'd decided to go for my ppl when I was young and single!We have a rec permit in Canada that's about half the cost (I think the equivalent if the sport licence in the U.S.) That makes it a little more affordable.Best of luckBlairCYOW

when I was 2 years old my dad took me up in his lap in my gramps plane, I loved it and have been flying eversince!