Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The perfect keyboard for a Flight Sim?

Imagine having one of these and designing your own keyboard totally dedicated and marked clearly for a given Sim. No more confusing or hard to remember combo key-presses, just all laid out and ready to go......

If these became common and cheaper, users might even compete to come up with the best overlay design.......

Aint technology cool?

translusenseluminaekeyb.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

wow that is so cool, I love how thin it is, thats awesome!

After experiencing the iPad typing interface and low-profile keyboards such as the Apple Keyboard and Logitech K750, I still prefer mechanical keys with ample travel distance, as they allow more-accurate and responsive typing.

After experiencing the iPad typing interface and low-profile keyboards such as the Apple Keyboard and Logitech K750, I still prefer mechanical keys with ample travel distance, as they allow more-accurate and responsive typing.

This has haptic response, which does help a bit. B)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Why not just have a really wide touchscreen (about the shape of a keyboard) to be a keyboard. That way it is fully customizable with the change of the screen and would be very similar to the interfaces found on Star Trek TNG...

Get rid of the keyboard all together and have multiple touchscreens with a large viewscreen for your workspace.....I know, I watch too much Star Trek :ph34r:

Matthew Kane

Its a great idea...but I prefer mechanical keyboards. The price isn't to friendly, but prices are always high with new technology. Give it 2-3 years 4 at the max, and we should see a decrease in price (hopefully down $200 or so).

For gaming. There are way more cheaper options to go for, and better looking IMO!

It looks like something out of a Si-Fi movie but its just another gimic hitting the shelves...

I'm just an old dinosaur, but I too prefer a truly tactile keyboard with firm, mechanical response...

...on the other tentacle, I do tend to wear out at least two keyboards every year!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

...on the other tentacle, I do tend to wear out at least two keyboards every year!

That's a lot of typing my friend :lol:

Matthew Kane

I'm just an old dinosaur, but I too prefer a truly tactile keyboard with firm, mechanical response...

Have you tried true mechanical keyboards (i.e., ones with Cherry MX switches) such as Das Keyboard? They are very responsive but too expensive. I am curious about their durability.

I currently use a Logitech K800, which is quite responsive, stylish, and wireless. Plus, it has lasted far longer than my K750 and Performance MX mouse have!

That's a lot of typing my friend :lol:

Well, perhaps that or I have very corrosive fingertips! Seriously though, I do type a lot, but most of it is not flightsim related or on forums...

...since I type a lot of manuscripts for one of my neighbors who's a rather prolific sci-fi author.

To answer the last question, I'm currently using a very crisp Logitech K200 keyboard.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah they need to really come down in price. My Microsoft Sidewinder X6 does the job for now $50 vs $499. Heres the link for $499 http://www.translusense.com/

Well if you think this is expensive, never forget the Optimis Maximus, in which every single key was an LCD! Obviously it never took off, but you can still get them as a vanity item for about $2000 each..........

Devons rig