Sign in to follow this  
sivin

PMDG 737 - Framerate optimisation

Hi All,

I have been stopping myself to post a message in the forum hoping I could do something about my framerate in FSX by myself but I have not managed to do that. So here I am !

Here are my specs :

I7 930 overclocked to 4ghz.

12GB ram

GTX 480 (Asus).

ASUS P6TX58

Addons :

PMDG 737 (obviously :))

REX overdrive (no essentials)

Active Sky 2012

ORBX YMML (for the test)

ENB Series (I have issue with that one. I can fly using it but I get black screen when I access the menu/use replay etc.. especially when I fly in high details area/by night or other stressing situation for the computer)

FPS Limiter (same as above, I suspect it's coming from the d9d3.dll and my graphic card, they don't like each other so I tend to deactive both of them).

I deleted the FSX.cfg and use the online tool (Venetubo) and that's about it. I've also used Nvidia inspector and use the 4S configuration. (for anti aliasing and anisotropic selected in FSX, framerate unlimited)

Frame rate at YMML on active runway : 15-18fps.

Autogen : normal

My first question is : is that a common framerate ?

If yes, well too bad for me :) I might need another machine.

if no, is there anyone with pretty much the same config that could share some tips with me ? I love this plane and would like to enjoy it as much as it deserves it.

That would be much appreciated.

Thank you and let me know if you need more info.

Sylvain.

Thanks ! I was hoping for another reply :) something like "With the same specs I get 30fps ! here is how to do it :" :)

When I'm airborn, I get around 22-25fps. I thought I could get a bit more.

"When I'm airborn, I get around 22-25fps. I thought I could get a bit more"

That applies to me as well and I am happy with that as it is quite smooth. I have the frames slider to maximum.

stelios

Stelios Christofides

What runway time and date at YMML? What sky conditions - will do a test with my simular system without/with ENB

TML=1024 in fsx or?

Traffic at 0% in FSX ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

My suggestion would be to look at #####'s guide... he has put together a goldmine of information about hardware and configuration file settings.

You have to remember that robbing Peter to pay Paul is the game in FSX. Any improvement in X often causes a degradation in Y. It is all about balancing the settings for your hardware. It also fully depends on your wishes in the simulation. You want back country bush flying, you can push the sliders further than if you want all singing and dancing commercial aviation simulation with loads of AI traffic, roads and so on, IFR, full cloud coverage and so on...

If you have a LCD monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz, you might want to use the later nvidia driver's vsync force setting, which allows you to set 1/2 refresh rate amongst others. Then you set the FSX internal FPS limiter to 30. No need for d3d9.dll hooks and so on, so you won't have any conflict if you wish to continue using ENBSeries...

I currently still have a GTX470 (upgrading in the next week to a GTX670 if the delivery man is on time...) and have had relatively good results already with the [bufferpools] UsePool=0 addition.

You NEED HIGHMEMFIX=1 :)

I stick with a TML of 1024, higher values can really put a strain on a system

As I said, check out the guide I mentioned, just search on the Net for kostsfsworld, you'll find it quickly enough...

A

Bingo ! Thank you all and especially aentwis ! I now have 20-22fps on active runway at YMML with the PMDG 737. it's much more smoother. after few meters, I'm reaching 28-30fps and airborn well it's a full pretty much constant 30fps. What I did is add the UsePool=0 addition as well as updating my NVIDIA inspector settings (http://www.simforums.com/forums/settings-for-new-drivers-updated-v1959_topic36586.html). I've also followed

#####'s guide but just for the internal framerate lock. (not using FPS limiter anymore). I've tried with all the tweaks mentionned in the article and lost about 2fps so I revert back but keeping very few elements. (affinity and fps lock).

Thank you again.

Hi Sivin,(be good if you would use your name in posts as better to reply....)

I have been in the process of where most of us are at one time or another where "one tweek too many" upsets the whole config and back to a clean fsx.cfg and start again. It seems like while we can have similar machines with plenty of memory and horsepower, ones mans ideal(well ok.. satisfactory) config is poison for another. The other day when I was at a very low frame rate, and I mean 5-6 at the active runway in the 737NGX 800 at ORBX YMML. A tweek here and there, using both Costa and ******* sites, update my video driver, set my frame rate to unlimited and set on anisotropic and whulla, I'm back to 28-33 sitting on the ground.

Have to stop meddling and leave well alone, though some times the system seems to have a life of its own and things start to drop off for some reason..

Regards

Geoff Bryce

i agree - FSX is a tweaky place - After i start using Usepools=0 i found the smoothness to be not excisting until i used the VSYNC tweak in fsx.cfg AND reloaded cwm.exe :-) That was a eye opener to my system

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Go into your FSX.cfg and add this on top:

[bUFFERPOOLS]

PoolSize=0

If the BUFFERPOOLS entry is already there just add PoolSize=0 under it and delete the RejectThreshold command as it becomes useless anyway when setting PoolSize=0.

This setting increases frames by 25-50%.

A few side notes:

Never use light bloom

Never use water higher than HIGH 2x

Never use ground scenery shadows

Never use too much boat traffic (eats frames even when not around water)

Do not use ENB Series. It's connected via the d9d3.DLL file, and so is the Antilag FPS limiter. FSX doesn't like this file and as soon as you press ALT+ENTER, this might create black screens, it's perfectly normal with ENB Series and that's why I stopped using it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think PoolSize=0 does not matter if you got usepool = 0. right ? (that's what increased my framerate by 2-4 fps). I've never tried the vsync tweak nor reloading the cwm.exe, I'll give it ago ASAP.

Thanks again.