Sign in to follow this  
62NDesign

FMC NavRad ILS frequency problem.

Hello,

I have a little problem with setting up the nav1/ ils frequency. If I try to set frequency 109.70 and course 233 (109.70/233 scratchpad input) and I pressing 4L to set it, the frequency does not changes to 109.70, instead I get frequency 108.00 as active frequency.

Same if I try it again. Same problem with the PMDG MD-11. I can't explain it, but that's a new problem since reinstall pmdg products. I am user of boxed editions for both.

Thanks

You should not put ILS frequency manually. You should find ILS RW... in Arrival page in FMC and select it. It will tune ILS itself and you will see it on approach or before intercepting Final Approach Course in top left corner on PFD. It will show 4 letter code for that localizer. If you don't see 4 letters, than you have to listen to Morse code. You should see ILS freq in PARK in NAVRAD page.

In both planes as long as you input the runway for landing into the FMC flight plan, the ILS will tune automatically. In the MD-11 it will remain blank until you get into ILS range which is roughly 27 miles out. On the 747 as maxfly said you will see the words ILS PARK and then it comes alive at about the same distance out.

Chris Sunseri

You should not put ILS frequency manually. You should find ILS RW... in Arrival page in FMC and select it. It will tune ILS itself and you will see it on approach or before intercepting Final Approach Course in top left corner on PFD. It will show 4 letter code for that localizer. If you don't see 4 letters, than you have to listen to Morse code. You should see ILS freq in PARK in NAVRAD page.

Tuning an ILS manually isn't a problem, but you can't tune a VOR receiver to an ILS frequency, which is what the OP seemed to do. That's why it reads 108.00, not the entered frequency.

To manually tune an ILS you must enter frequency and course in the scratchpad and line select to the ILS input. Or if you know the ILS identifier you can enter that, IIRC.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The OP did say he was using LSk 4L....so he is trying to put an ILS freq in the correct place.

Peter Schluter

The OP did say he was using LSk 4L....so he is trying to put an ILS freq in the correct place.

You're right, I missed that. But you should be able to do what he did, so its wrong to say he shouldn't. Possibly it's an issue with how PMDG added the ILS receiver to the default two NAV receivers. Still, hopefully 747X v2 will get this right.

Edit:

I just tried tuning the ILS manually and it works correctly, so PMDG didn't get this wrong. Attempting to enter an ILS frequency for VOR caused INVALID ENTRY message. The PMDG manual doesn't mention the format for manual entry, but according to the Boeing 747 Ops Manual entering the ILS identifier is not valid (contrary to what I thought in my earlier post). I think I confused this with Airbus where the ILS identifier is a valid manual entry).

ki9cAAb.jpg