Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GodAtum

Spare monitor ideas?

That might work, or perhaps a small shelf on the wall behind your desk? Or perhaps some wall mounts?

Just some ideas.

Just curious - what do you have planned for the 4th view?

Keeping in mind the issue of windowed and non windowed views and impact on FSx frame rates using an extra view.

I'm thinking of running FSX in windowed mode as I usually do with ProATCX moving map, FSCommander or EFB on the 4th screen. ATM I have 1 screen connected with DP and 2 with DVI. So i would connect the 4th with HDMI.

Or I could use a laptop.

I don't know anything about it, as I've never tried it, but you could network two computers running FSX simultaneously to run seperate functions.

There are many FSX related programs you could run on another computer such as moving map displays, ATC programs, etc that would enhance the flight experience. These can be installed on a networked pc such as your laptop. If you try to undock a separate view from your FSX pc to run another monitor you will experience perofrmance issues. Nice thing is you have the hardware so you should try both ideas and check it out for yourself.

I do have a home server that I could run stuff off. The specs are:

• Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
  • Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair XMS3
  • Corsair Professional Series HX1050
  • 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
  • WD 2TB Red WD20EFRX x 4

I currently use it as a Windows 2012 AD server, infiniband storage server and untangle security appliance running in VMs on ESXI. If I can dig out a Windows 7 license I could put some ATC and moving map stuff on it.

If you have the capabilities, build a small, cheap wooden shelf for the upper monitor, or look at something that will fit the bill from a furniture store (I usually get ideas from IKEA).

If you don't want to go that route, a monitor stand would be your best bet. Such as the one you posted, or just an articulating arm for the 4th monitor, such as:

http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/523/language/en-US/Default.aspx

The home server looks perfect.

Take a look at Flightcommander 9.2. Its a flight planner and moving map networked to FSX. Works great!

I would love to add some hardware modules like an MCP, EFIS, FMC, radio etc but I'm finding it hard to justify them lol. I mainly fly the PMDG 747 but want to get the FSlabs Airbus and will most likely fly the PMDG 777 when it comes out. I guess I need a more generic module?