Sign in to follow this  
slait

openVFR Thoughts

Anyone have any thoughts about what openVFR has to offer, and the quality of said products?

- Aaron

Nobody huh? Clearly their marketing department is doing something wrong.

- Aaron

I have their landclass and objects for Germany and IMO it is really good. I'm thinking of getting buildings package to get even more variety to autogen.

I also have Cloud9 landclasses and compared to them, OVFR seems far more detailed, especially for the road network. Based on my small comparisons between the two, in some more rural areas differences are smaller or negligible and both seem to place small towns pretty much to same place, size and features vary and again OVFR looks like more precise. In general, OVFR has more varied and detailed feel in to it, which is pretty much understandable as it is only for one country versus Cloud9's continent. Germany's landclass scenery folder eats up over 330MBs of HD versus 5MB of Cloud9 Europe! Objects offer over 150MBs of buildings so there definitely is quite a lot of data copared to other products.

Even though OVFR is based on OSM data, I've so far bumped into only few things which seem like some sort of anomaly, like some small lake with sharp corners and straight beachlines. All in all, OVFR is nice for those who seek detailed landclasses for certain countries or areas, but whole continent gets pretty expensive compared to other landclass products. Objects is also nice and it adds more landmark buildings to scenery, but of course is not necessary.

You can get one single country for pretty low price, so it doesn't cost that much to test it out. Those older freeware landclasses based on some 2009 or so data are far behind the newer payware landclasses, so they don't tell the whole picture.

Well that sounds encouraging indeed. Especially in areas that don't have any other options like south America or Africa. Thanks for the feedback!

- Aaron

I have their landclass and objects for Germany and IMO it is really good.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I have the FSGenesis Northern Andes mesh along with GEX for South America, but the default vector scenery is awful. It sounds like OpenVFR is the best bet to get decent vector scenery and landclass for this area.

Barry Friedman

Sorry to be a bit late to this party, but wanted to chime in. I have their Ethiopia, Kenya, Bhutan, India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh, Nepal, Caribbean, Bolivia and Peru landclasses. With the exception of Caribbean (now that UTX Caribbean is out) openvfr is really the only game in town for those countries. It makes a huge difference, particularly in getting rid of the really horrific jagged straight line coastlines, as well as putting roads in. It does get a bit pricey (e.g. if you wanted to fill out all of South America) but it's quite high quality for the price IMHO. Developer is highly responsive and takes requests for future regions, incidentally.

I have almost all their Mesh and Scenery up to now and they are very good. Concerning price, they have the lowest prices in the market so anyone can start building up their world.....go for it.

Concerning price, they have the lowest prices in the market

Well, maybe if you buy something for only one country, yes, then the prices are low. But if you want to have for instance all of Europe looking better, other addons are cheaper quickly. If you select for instance ONLY the terrain for Western-Europe, it'll cost you over 100 euro's. UTX Europe alone costs 27 euro's...!!!