Sign in to follow this  
Maribell

Windows Starup issue

Just encountered a strange problem with my computer today, I will try and describe the problem as best as i can.

Ok Here goes

A.) The Problem- when i turn on my computer Windows attempts to boot Normally right after the Starting Windows Splash Screen i get a black screen with a cursor in place of the Welcome Screen (Stays there does not go any further) (No Welcome Screen)

B.) Here is what ive done, I have booted into Safe Mode and it booted successfully, once in safe mode i tried a system restore (Did not work well) After the restore i finaly got through the Welcome screen but most programs were not working properly)

C.) To get to the point and cut this short the only way i can get it working normally and i mean working perfectly is if i do the following.

1.) Star up in Safe Mode

2.) Right Click C:/ then go into Tools and schedule a system error disk check on start up after it performs the disk check it reboots and everything is working 100% but if i then shut down and turn the pc back on it will give me the black screen once again. So i would have to literally continue to perform the disk check on start up.

and the other way is if i hibernate the pc allow it to shut off then turn it back on after the resuming windows screen shows up everything boots normally. I know for a fact is not the hard drive i believe it may have something to do with a file or some type of virus. Any clues????

This was recommended on one site (only carry out if you understand the registry)

Reboot into Safe Mode, run RegEdit, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell then recreate the Shell key as a REG_SZ key, with the value explorer.exe if that works then it was a problem with explorer if not - not sure. (From: http://social.techne...ff-c89b3cf45e82 - post by Brian Grunkemeyer ) Might be worth a look: http://www.prevx.com...sta-and-XP.html

Regards

PH

This was recommended on one site (only carry out if you understand the registry)

Reboot into Safe Mode, run RegEdit, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell then recreate the Shell key as a REG_SZ key, with the value explorer.exe if that works then it was a problem with explorer if not - not sure. (From: http://social.techne...ff-c89b3cf45e82 - post by Brian Grunkemeyer ) Might be worth a look: http://www.prevx.com...sta-and-XP.html

Regards

PH

Thanks I will give it a shot

Regards

PH

Ok tried that did not work but it does go into safemode,once im in safemode i schedule disk utility to run on starup and the pc restarts normally???? Weird

Not to oversimplify but have you done any hardware troubleshooting?

I would disconnect all usb devices and basically everything except the mouse and keyboard. If it still wont start, turn it off reposition the mouse and keyboard into completely different usb slots and try again.

Basically just trying to eliminate any hardware and or usb connections which can give you a similar bad start situation.

Sometimes starting in safe mode only hides the problem until you ty it again in normal.

I know this sounds very simplified but even bad, loose memory, GPU card, etc can create start problems too. Once all hardware issues resolved to your satisfaction then go after a Windows registry error or similar possible issue.

Ron W

Another weird thing is if i do a system restore the problem goes away and the pc starts normally but after restarting it act up yet again. Kinda like theres a file being restored but afterwards re-corrupts itself causing the black screen.

Maybe a virus or some type of mallware but not sure, i ran the Anti virus but nothing was detected.

Heres is the order as to how this problem is affecting my pc

1.) Reboot Normally- Black Screen after Splash screen

2.) Reboot Safemode,i then Schedule a disk check on starupt after startup is done and the disk check process finishes the Pc shuts down and re-starts perfectly fine. (But then after another normal re-start problem comes back)

3.)Just recently i attempted the same thing as step 2. only this time i got a black screen after the splash and after disk check, without the white cursor so i then rebooted the pc in safe mode again and did a system restore. To my surprise the pc started perfectly fine once again. But after reboot again with the black screen ??????????????

Seems like the problem just comes back and its only affecting the startup once booted if i dont re-start i can be on for hours with no issues. Only on reboot if i hibernate then start it up pc resumes with no issues wich is also confusing me.

Safe mode is allowing you in because it doesn't utilize a lot of the hardware requirements. System restore is not working either because the possible hardware issue shows up again on next start. Not saying it is hardware but do the easy things first.

Ron W

Safe mode is allowing you in because it doesn't utilize a lot of the hardware requirements. System restore is not working either because the possible hardware issue shows up again on next start. Not saying it is hardware but do the easy things first.

Thanks for the quick Reply i will give the hardware advice a try and let you know what i come up with, Although Im thinking it may be a software issue as i remember downloading a utility online that may have caused the issue. I forget what it was, Ive used it before but i may have clicked on a bad link. System restore seems to fix the issue but after reboot the problem occurs once again wich is really confusing me. Im using the PC at this moment and its working flawsely but after i reboot its starts to be a pain LOL

Regards

PH

I will also give this Prevx A try and let you know what it detects, if its not to expensive i will purchase the license and see if it fixes the erros detected, I trus the program is safe and has no hidden viruses of its own lol

Ok, good luck. The point I was making is that Safe Mode may be bypassing the hardware issue and letting you start in System Restore only to give you a headache when you try to do it normally next time.

Ron W

Ok, good luck. The point I was making is that Safe Mode may be bypassing the hardware issue and letting you start in System Restore only to give you a headache when you try to do it normally next time.

I completly agree, safemode does bypass alot of drivers and may hide lots of hardware related issues, i took your advise and tried starting up by removing the hardware 1 by one but no luck :-( I did manage to get back in by running system restore again and ran mallware bytes these are the results

I completly agree, safemode does bypass alot of drivers and may hide lots of hardware related issues, i took your advise and tried starting up by removing the hardware 1 by one but no luck :-( I did manage to get back in by running system restore again and ran mallware bytes these are the results

After removing the mallware above using mallware bytes the problem still continues :-(

Yeah, that's not a pretty sight. Maybe some permanent damage already done.

Long shot but have you tried putting the Win7 disc in the drive and start up and let it do a Windows Repair?

Ron W

Ok this time i rebooted once again only instead of selecting safemode i selected Last good Startup Config and again boots up like nothing ever happened and works 100 percent guss im going to have to hibernate it instead of shutting it down

Yeah, that's not a pretty sight. Maybe some permanent damage already done.

Long shot but have you tried putting the Win7 disc in the drive and start up and let it do a Windows Repair?

Not quite i will have to find my original Windows 7 Disk and give it a go tommorow. I will do that and post the results... thanks for the advise iff all fails ill prob just Re- install Windows 7 just that i would hate to restore all of my fs9 addons ect ect i have to many addons to look for and re-install lol

If you do a reinstall, reformat the drive first to get rid of any lurking virus.

Know what you mean. Can't even count anymore the number of times Ive reinstalled FS9 or now FSX.

Ron W

Ok so ive decided not to Re-install the OS Id just hate to start from scratch with FS9 considering everything is running just the way i want it to, i would hate to go through all the mods and sceneries ect ect ect

i

What i did instead was removed the detected malware wich indeed took the .DDL files with them and replace the DLL files from another Windows 7 64bit machine after that i was still facing the black screen problem so i then Performed a Boot defrag using Perfect disk and that seemed to have fixed the issue (No more black screen)

Lets hope it stays that way lol