Sign in to follow this  
neilbradley1

Loss of second monitor

My computer setup includes a 27" primary monitor and a 19" secondary monitor. When doing normal computing work transferring information from one screen to another works flawlessly. This was also the case with FSX until recently. Now when running FSX the secondary screen is blank (black). Can anyone assist with this problem?

Neil Bradley

Hi Neil,

I'm confused. I have a very similar monitor setup (27 + 19) When in full screen mode, my second monitor is/has always been black. I can drag secondary displays onto it fine. It has never displayed a continuarion of the primary monitor. It also doesn't appear in the display section of my graphics tab in FSX as Joe suggests. I wonder why not..I have never seen my second display there. Only the resolution choice of my primary monitor.

When in windowed mode, FSX takes up whatever portion of the screen(s) I give it, and I can "undock" secondary displays onto whatever screen I like (they become a mini-display with a title bar)

I am unlcear as to the exact nature of your issue..Could you be more specific?

What grafx card do you have, Neil? were you running a stretched full screen? i.e the image was across both screens? If so, I think this is an ATI thing..I can't do that with my Nvidia, nor would I want to..different size imges..can do in wondowed mode but still looks odd.

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Jake,

It also doesn't appear in the display section of my graphics tab in FSX as Joe suggests.

Go into FSX Display Settings, Graphics tab. In the Device drop down menu, you should see all your monitors. They will show up as "NVIDIA ______".0 and "NVIDIA______".1 as an example.

Joe,

You are correct! How I have never noticed that I'll never know..Guess I just didn't look for it. Obviously seen an entry for my second screen in the cfg file but never used the resolution for it from within FSX..It always sets the correct res for the smaller monitor. Thanks :)

Never too old to learn something

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hi Joe & Jake,

Thanks for the advice. I have an Nvidia 1G grahics card, 8 GB RAM, AMD Processor and 1TB HDD. I recently had to replace the ASUS motherboard and of course re-install everything and that's when I noticed the change. From what you are telling I must now be working in full-screen mode, (how do you change between the two modes?) whereas before I was in windows mode. Does this explain why the 'minimise' button on the menu strip is missing?

Joe I tried moving the FMS to the second monitor and it worked.

Thanks again guys.

Regards from down under.

Neil Bradley

Neil, (forum mods, I still can't CR to a new line here..Is it my end?) ALT-ENTER will get you from windowed to FSM. A word of advice when in windowed mode: re-size your window so it doesn't touch either the task bar or the edges of your screen (i.e. don't have it disappearing off one edge) this results in bad frames for me..FSM gives me atleast 5-8FPS morfe than WM..Apparently this is back to front according to some, who say that WM will give better frames..Go figure...

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg