Sign in to follow this  
pflapf

DX10 full screen issue

Hi all,

I have an issue with DX10 full screen (which doesn't appear in DX9). I searched the forums but didn't find anything similar, only BSODs and other stuff.

So the problem is that the full screen mode doesn't really go full screen. Instead it looks like FSX is being displayed in the middle of my desktop. There's a "window" with FSX inside which seem to have the dimension of the initial FSX window. It's not a real window, doesn't have title bar, etc, and it looks like a full resolution view (1920x1200) is scaled down to fit into it.

I can switch to windowed mode and back without any issues. The windowed mode also occupies nearly the whole screen.

Is it clear what I mean? It's a bit difficult to describe.

It's a default FSX + AP installation, no changes so far. System is a i7-3820, 16GB RAM, HD 7970, Win7 64bit with all updates, Catalyst driver 13.2 beta 5.

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Dirk

Hi Dirk! Welcome to the Club!!

1). Would you enter your system specs into your Profile, so that we can see what hardware you have. It will appear under your picture/avatar. Thanks.

Secondly - for want of a better answer - I don't know quite what might be going on - Is the native size of the monitor the same as you have entered in the fsx.cfg (via the Settings dialogue)?

The device shown in the fsx.cfg should look like this:-

DX9:-

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]

Mode=3840x1024x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

DX10:-

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0.0]

Mode=3840x1024x32 <---------------------- s/b the native resolution of the monitor.

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

Yours would be similar, but reflecting the AMD/ATI gpu. (The highlighted "0"'s indicate the separate devices)

Last - this is not a television, by any chance, is it?

All the best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

I updated my profile, thanks for the hint.

Yes, there are two entries in the fsx.cfg, similar to what you mentioned. The values are all ok (1920x1200, Anisotropic and AntiAlias = 1). It's the native resolution of the display, and it's not a TV.

I've been playing around with the Location key in [Main] because it seemed to define where the "window" is displayed. I just set it to full screen (0,0,1919,1199). The effect is like a permanent switching between full screen and window mode. It never display anything but I can hit escape and get back.

Best,

Dirk

Hmmm... Strange, isn't it.. Yeah - I've played with that one, when setting up an Nvidia Surround system with 3 x 27" monitors for the first time. Understanding the Matrox system was no help whatsoever!!

Well - OK - If you find the real fix, Dirk - please let us know!

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I had the same problem 3x 27 inch screen for one picture on a gtx680 and a 4th screen on a gtx 460. when i took out the plug for the 4th screen then the problem is gone and have a nice 3 screens full picture. as soon as i connect the 4th screen then with full screen it shows only the middle screen. or it is fsx or it is that the bios is connected to the gtx460 and have to slep the fsx to the other 3 screens.

Hi,

I did the changes I planned to do anyway and installed a second graphics card (7750, non-CF) and a second display attached to it. It didn't change anything. However if I disable the second graphics card in the device manager it works. I don't really understand why because it should be the same as w/o it.

Again DX9 works fine in both scenarios.

Is there someone who got DX10 working with 2 graphic cards and displays attached to both?

Best,

Dirk

Hi,

I did the changes I planned to do anyway and installed a second graphics card (7750, non-CF) and a second display attached to it. It didn't change anything. However if I disable the second graphics card in the device manager it works. I don't really understand why because it should be the same as w/o it.

Again DX9 works fine in both scenarios.

Is there someone who got DX10 working with 2 graphic cards and displays attached to both?

Best,

Dirk

Yes, but I was forced to cut back to a three monitor Nvidia surround mode display arrangement. Two gtx 460s in SLI and three monitors with a single display spanned across all three (with bezel correction too). Ths means my DX10 .cfg file shows only one triple wide display resolution at 4420 x 1050 for the three 1400 x 1050 montiors. I have been completely unable to get DX10 to run in any other manner than a single display entry in the config. Where I had been in DX9 I was running four independant displays with four different 1400 x 1050 displays shown in my config. (0,1,2&3). So in DX9 I could keep flying on the main montior and switch to overhead view on one monitor, tower view on another and fly by on another for example. I am unable to get DX10 to do this. It is a single display and if I click a new view it will, of course, change the one view spanned across all three monitors. I posted a while back asking for help on this in hopes of being able to use DX10 in exactly the same way that I do DX9 but alas, no joy. But DX10 was so much of an improvement in overall frame rates, and most importantly, smoothness that I have not looked back despite having lost some display quantity, flexibility and functionality. I, for one, will be watching closely for any clues that might lead me to being able to do all that I did with DX9 in DX10. So the answer to your question is yes I have three displays hooked up to two cards but it only works (for me at least) when I span the displays and make FSX treat all three as a single display.