Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

Blurry Terrain Textures

So - I bought Prepar3D Academic, hoping that this would solve the blurry terrain texture issues (among other things, like a smoother experience, etc). So far, I absolutely love everything about this thing except the challenges with FSX-made products compatibility, although that can be circumvented with a good FSX/P3D "converter" tool. However, I am still suffering blurry terrain textures - using anything from a Cub to a 737, the terrain always gets blurry, especially when flying cross country. I cannot seem to get them to keep up. Which tweak is it that I need to get it to allocate more resources to getting the terrain loading to keep up with me? Or is it something entirely else? As a side note, I did run the CFG through bojote's tweak tool. Vastly improved performance with it but I wonder if its making my terrain loading suffer?

Hi,

I had the same problem. Did you try Game Booster ? http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

It has resolved my problem. I had very blurry textures and it happened from day to day...from unknown - for me - reason.

Here are my comments...it's about FSX though, but however it can be applied for P3D too.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?249935-Blurries-long-texture-loading-times-on-high-end-system&p=1730978#post1730978

Hope it could help.

Good luck

Delete or rename the p3d.cfg file and let P3D rebuild a new one. Other than HIGHMEMFIX - add no other tweaks and see what happens for a while. Adjust your sliders for the best quality. THEN experiment with some of the more popular tweaks one at a time. Bojote's tool and a bunch of tweaks are not needed with P3d and in many cases make it worse.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Okay I tried both the Game booster and the fresh CFG with HIGHMEM fix applied... frame rates are definitely improved, and it *seems* like the blurries are somewhat improved but they are definitely still there - climbing out of KSEA and the mountains to the east below me are a blurry mess... I do have 8GB RAM and a decent setup (decent meaning I can run consistent 15-20FPS with med-low settings and a few addons going) Just wondering what do I need to do to get this thing to prioritize texture loading....

try with hyper-threading off and add to cfg JOBSCHEDULER...

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...

If the system in your profile is the one you are using - you are really pushing it at 2.4ghz. P3D defaults to a LOD Radius of 6.5 (FSX is 4.5). Try going into the Prepar3d.cfg file and under [TERRAIN] set the LOD Radius to 4.5 and see if that helps a bit.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yep thats the system I am using. 2.4 sounds like not much but it actually doesnt do too bad at all for a sub-$1,000 laptop (bought it for $900). I have my LOD set at 4.5 or 5.5 - not sure off the top of my head, but it's not 6.5. Blurries are improved - it's not a nasty mess every time I move more than a mile, (used to be so bad that by the time I arrived to my destination I'd have to pause for a good 10-15 minutes to get everything caught up) but it does instantly get blurry after departure and stay that way until I stop moving - just not to the extreme that it did previously. I will have to post my settings but either way, that Game Booster thing combined with a new CFG with HIGHMEMFIX did really help. It feels like the memory is just filling up and then staying full, not allowing any room for new textures to be loaded.

With that system your LOD should not be over 4.5. Remember, P3D DEFAULTS to 6.5 so you have to MANUALLY set it to 4.5. Turn off as much traffic as you can - NO moving cars!! Keep autogen low. Play with the settings.

Turn OFF bathymetry. Turn OFF shadows. Set water to NO reflections.

Remember, some of the settings in P3D are natively higher than FSX, autogen P3D normal is equal to FSX Dense, etc.

See how that goes.

Vic