Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

MD11 cruise alt issues

Hey folks, when i enter my flight plan, put fl370 in crz, start flying, go to my flight plan, my cruise level keeps changing after each waypoint, even though the t/c shouldn't change(only recently), this is now the 2nd flight its done that with, 1st trying to go egph-gcts and it stayed at fl280, and now going to leal its stuck @fl330, if i try to manually raise by adjusting my v/s even just to 500fpm, my fms speed disables, which is fair enough, but on my nav display, my t/c keeps changing, if i try changing my alt in my act flight plan, by using /370, the waypoints prior to where i selected, dont change - this is only 2 flights this has been with, and it didnt do it yesterday etc etc as i tried a few flights offline.

I have not been doing anything different, which is what is getting me.

Thanks

Ok from just starting the same egkk-gclp flight i got to my cruise alt before basik(which is where it should have been first time round, but before the t/c would keep being put in advance of the next waypoint over and over again, this time the only difference was no online and no fspax.

One thing that did happen, when i right clicked to go to spot view - my menu was 2-3" below the cursor and when i went spot view it was an elongated spot view, any ideas?

You have got your cruise altitude dialed into the altitude window on the MCP ?

Also what mode are you climbing in ?

Peter Schluter

Hi, yes i had fl370 on mcp, and i had selected max rate of climb in mcdu.

Ive uninstalled and will reinstall later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks

You should be using ECON CLB in the CLB page once you are well above any terrain obstacles. What climb mode were you in... PROF or V/S or the "level change" mode?

Peter

Peter Schluter

i am a;ways in "prof" but today when it wouldn't climb, i tried v/s but it still wouldn't go above 32k ft somehow, - as i say when i was offline and no fspax, it worked as it normally should have - (with the prof), i used max rate of climb because atc kept asking me how long it would take me to reach my FL 370, and it wouldnt go above 32k - 10 mins later i was still stuck at 32k ft and was advised to tell next controller how long i expected ot to take to get to 37k.

Ok that makes sense. I dont have FS passengers so cant tell you if that is causing a problem.

What was your aircraft weight at this time ?.... what did the FMC say was optimum/max flight level ?

Peter Schluter

opt fl level was 370, i think max was fl396(? why the 6 i don't know lol) cant remember the exact weight, i had 80k lbs fuel on board with 200 pax, well within my limits

i am having a hard time understanding your post.

are you saying that you have a problem climbing to your cruise altitude only when you fly online?

if so, what client are you using? FSINN? if so, the problem will be the FSINN weather which gives you positive instead of negative OAT at altitude (temp too high) resulting in bad aircraft performance. in that case you would have to disable the FSINN weather and use the FS weather or another wx add on when flying online.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

i am having a hard time understanding your post.

are you saying that you have a problem climbing to your cruise altitude only when you fly online?

correct

if so, what client are you using? FSINN? yes

if so, the problem will be the FSINN weather which gives you positive instead of negative OAT at altitude (temp too high) resulting in bad aircraft performance. in that case you would have to disable the FSINN weather and use the FS weather or another wx add on when flying online.

i do disable it when @fl200

As above, both flights were online, one flight kept me at FL300 and another @FL320 thereabouts, fuel weight was fine max cruise height was FL396 - opt was FL 370 (if i remember rightly)

I will give it another shot today or tomorrow afetr i have reinstalled everything :)

THanks for your reply

i am runing into the same problem But i noticed when you use the MD-11F with full cargo then it is to hard for it to clime to the altitude you want instead use the step altitude ,,, example you want to reach 330 set you fmc to 190/210/190/330

this should give the aircraft enough time to clim this is with the fully cargo but using the other MD-11 with pax you ar good to go ,, the altitude Bounce is just like they told you it is the weather online weather mine does the same thing and i Bounce 500 above or below because i am not entering the right weather info in the FMC

hop this will help

Are you loading Pax/Fuel via FSPax?

If so, don't.

Hi Kyle, no i dont - thats disabled - always lol

Hi scandinavian, ive never entered weather or step climbs into fmc, just my cruise lvl and then i go - i haven't been doing anything different to what i normally do.

fsinns weather gets disabled at FL200

I will give it another shot today or tomorrow afetr i have reinstalled everything :)

THanks for your reply

not sure if you need to do that. if the problem is FSINN related then a reinstall won't help anyways because it is a known FSINN problem. all you can do is use another weather source.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

example you want to reach 330 set you fmc to 190/210/190/330

330 must be an altitude value. What are the first three values and where are you entering them?