Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrm1

Scanner radio

If I wanted to be able to listen to the LHR tower (I live in the London area), where/what is the best and cheapest way to listen to it using a tracker radio? Where is a good place to purchase one? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Go to Live ATC on the web. They have atc for many places around the world.

Ron W

As a general rule listening to ATC in the UK is not seen as a crime though it may go against certain UK Acts of Parliament, and i have heard that in the UK certain police forces around the airports actually use "spotters" to be on the look out for suspicious activity. I have often used a scanner sitting at a UK airport and no one has said anything, but this is not the law, so please dont take it as that. I dont believe LHR is on Live ATC, as most UK airports are not either. If you are in the london area my advise is get yourself down to LHR and watch the aircraft, and listen to them if u own a scanner in person. Your other option is take a Radio Telephony exam authorised by the CAA and then u can listen to ATC as u wish. I in no way say any of this as Law, just my understanding of it, as a CAA licence holder.

Ben Morton

Go to Live ATC on the web. They have atc for many places around the world.

But not UK though, probably for the reasons mentioned above.

Is there a law in UK that its legal to own a scanner but illegal to use it regarding official tramsmissions? Something i remember from when i used to live there : )

Kind Regards

Simon.

Is there a law in UK that its legal to own a scanner but illegal to use it regarding official tramsmissions?

See post #2. Other countries havbe similar kaws and arec known to enforce them - India is one I believe.

Thanks for your replies. When I was a young boy my dad bought me a radio when we went to Biggin Hill air show, it just had a dial to move to listen to radios. But if its that illegal perhaps I'd best avoid it. I knew it was illegal to broadcast it but I didn't realise it was illegal to listen!

I had no idea. Sounds like anxiety left over from WW2. Guess I cant blame them though.

Ron W