Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How can clouds be such a fps killer ?

I have the same problem when it is raining (at sea level). fps gets very slow.

System specs? Processor, GPU, Memory, Space remaining on hard drive, Windows version, memory, monitor type, Graphics Care settings (Application Controlled, or custom settings for AA/AT and related settings), type of aircraft you're in when you experience low fps in the rain, etc.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Crud, I knew this was coming. I know a better GPU isn't a FSX cure-all; but in my case where I could fly in area A without much cloud cover, get 30 FPS pegged and see my GPU at 40%, and then add a dense cloud cover to area A and see my GPU pegged at 100% and fps drops to 18, a better GPU can cure this fps drop. There are still other areas that regardless of how much cloud cover, or GPU I throw at it, my poor old i7 860 struggles to give me barely 20-25 fps there.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

According to my experience, SuperSampling and clouds together is a killer combo. So either MultiSamplig+clouds or SuperSampling+2D clouds. I chose multisampling (8X) as clouds are a must in flying... :)

What setting in Nvidia Inspector is that ?

I went from a GTX 480 to a GTX 680 with the same Nvidia setting and it made ZERO difference in terms of smoothness or FPS. If you are going to buy a new GPU don't do it unless you play other games like COD or BF3, it is a waste of money just for FSX

if you buy xplane10 it will use all the power and memory of your gpu and cpu :drinks:

Don't try and BS folks, this is hogwash.

actually Paula is right, even on my system FEX gives better fps than REXE. I was told by OPUS SUPPORT to try out FEX with their weather system and it gave me better fps.

actually Paula is right, even on my system FEX gives better fps than REXE. I was told by OPUS SUPPORT to try out FEX with their weather system and it gave me better fps.

I don't see how that could be possible. For REX I used 512*512 DXT5 optimized textures. What did you use in FEX ? What other cloud related settings could affect performance ?

And with your system does the fps ever have to drop ?

Regarding XPlane 10 I gave up on it because it offers another cloud related issue. Sometimes a cloud layer is invisible as long as you are not within it. This means that you could be descending and have clear visibility of the ground then suddenly everything is white around since you entered a cloud layer that becomes visible.

Don't try and BS folks, this is hogwash.

I agree here with Tim when clouds which are saved in the same file size and file type the only difference would be artistic appearance ;-)

As for FPS drop and clouds it's real simple everything with SSGS+ will give a loss of FPS and clouds, only the loss is different per GPU ;-)

André