Sign in to follow this  
Rations

Appropriate Flaps Usage?

I hope I have not grossly misunderstood proper B737 landing technique or overlooked any details in the following video.

It depicts an AeroGal B737-200 landing at Guayaquil (beginning at 1:34). One user commented "he's flaring and still extending flaps? where did this pilot learn to fly?" At 2:31, both audio and video indeed suggest that the flaps are being extended moments before touchdown.

1. Are the flaps really being extended so late?

2. If so, why?

3. Is such usage appropriate?

The video seems authentic and the flaps indeed seem to extend during flare. However, aircraft configuration changes at such critical moments seem risky and undesirable. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the link. I was afraid that I would re-post an old video, but my searches did not produce relevant results. (Interestingly, searching for AeroGal or Guayaquil on the uploader's YouTube channel does not retrieve the original video.)

Hopefully there are users who have not yet seen the video.