Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

How to regain safe mode startup in Win 8

I was going to put this info in the joystick thread, but then I realized that the post might get buried. MS has disabled F8 and Shift-F8 options at start up to enter safe mode. It was probably a security concern, reached by the same logic is not allowing the user to completely disable UAC, which limits the use of certain programs at OS start up. Anyway ..., if either your video card fails or you bork the OS with a corrupt video card driver installation (FSX users are always playing around with drivers), chances are you will eventually get into Win 8's recover and repair modes (depending on how new your motherboard is), which can literally lead to hours of frustration and continual BSODs (which are now cyan in color and come with a very large emoticon unhappy face to make you feel even worse).

You can set up the option to get into safe mode at boot time if you plan ahead, by adding a second boot option using the Win 8 utility bcdedit. Here's a quick and easy tutorial on how to set it up:

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

If you break your computer but not following the tutorial, I cannot be held responsible.