Sign in to follow this  

What benefits would a 4.8 ghz overclock on ivy bridge gove to fs other than fps. Better texture loadig? Better autogen loading?

If you can get it that high without doing things like deliding, water cooled etc, and you pair it up with a GTX 680, then the result is a smooth sim. With just the CPU, not much over sandy bridge. FSX is CPU bound so you will gain in faster processing speed. Texture loading is I/O bound. I would suggest forgetting about ivy and wait and see what Haswell has to offer.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

If you can get it that high without doing things like deliding, water cooled etc, and you pair it up with a GTX 680, then the result is a smooth sim. With just the CPU, not much over sandy bridge. FSX is CPU bound so you will gain in faster processing speed. Texture loading is I/O bound. I would suggest forgetting about ivy and wait and see what Haswell has to offer.

I don't think i was clear enough, I do have a galaxy geforce gtx 580 oced, 16gb ddr3 ram , ssd ocz vertex 4 128gb, ivy bridge i5 3570k.. h220 water cooling..what are the benefits? :s what do u mean b I/O BOUND?

I'd suggest at best you're going to get a 4% performance increase mainly in FPS but only if your system is stable at that speed, there is always a chance you will introduce instabilities which will obviously have a negative impact on overall performance. Even if all went well I very much doubt you'd physically notice any difference at all.

I/O refers to the rate at which data can be transferred between the CPU and the rest of the computers components i.e. Hard Disk. I guess what Anxu00 is refering to is that it is possible that Haswell and any new chipsets created for it will reduce any existing I/O bottlenecks making texture loading in FSX more efficient.

So many variables in pc components, run FSXmark, do the OC and run it again. And be sure to tell us all about it :wink: