Sign in to follow this  
mr340

What would a future Flight Simulator look like for PS4

Today's standard "big screen TV" is still just a 1920x1080 device. That's middle-of-the-road single monitor resolution by today's PC gaming standards. And for simming' date=' multiple monitors are often used to display other features so as not to block the main view. That part has nothing to do with size or resolution.

I'm sure there'll be flying games for the new console, and I'm sure some of them will look and play very nicely, but I can't imagine we'll see much for the simulation audience.

Scott[/quote']

As I said above, check out Microsoft's IllumiRoom project. This developed further and combined with a Kinect has the potential to create a pretty immersive experience.

The single biggest issue with creating a decent flight sim for a console is demand, or lack thereof. There may be some features that some enthusiasts would want that may not easily be accommodated (at least for the moment), but a solid sim could be built.

As I said above, check out Microsoft's IllumiRoom project. This developed further and combined with a Kinect has the potential to create a pretty immersive experience.

As one article I read mentioned - even Kinect hasn't fully caught, and IllumiRoom, whatever it turns out to be and if it ever catches on, may or may not provide something for simmers. Funny thing about Kinect is that Kinect games are about the only console games I ever play. Probably says as much about me as it does anything. :-)

I'm not against the idea of a console sim, just pointing out that today's "Hi Def" TV's are really only modest definition devices by today's computer game/sim standards and not a solution to the multi-monitor problem. The larger issue, of course, is as you say - demand.

Scott

just pointing out that today's "Hi Def" TV's are really only modest definition devices by today's computer game/sim standards and not a solution to the multi-monitor problem

Agree 1920 x 1080 is pretty mid to low spec these days ... but 4K TV's are starting to come out and be affordable and they will ultimately replace HD TV's within the next 5 years - that res is 3840 x 2160. If Sony want to be progressive they should think about including native 4K support, but then the PS4 would need 16 cores and 16GB GDDR5 and 2X power consumption.

The ultimate evolution is world simulation of which flight simulation is just one element/module ... now that will sell extremely well. Look at the success of SimCity and The Sims ... now that is a HUGE market and flight simulation could tag along as an expansion module. What that brings to the table is a massive wealth of cross module resources. Think more like being a "virtual pilot" ... you wake up in a Hong Kong, drive to the airport, go to your aircraft fly it to Hawaii, get off drive to the beach relax ... etc. etc. -- this will most likely be a combination of all computing devices from phones to consoles to desktop.

It'll not happen tomorrow, but provided the human race doesn't extinguish itself, I'll happen within the next 30 years ... save this thread ;)

Rob

Agree 1920 x 1080 is pretty mid to low spec these days ... but 4K TV's are starting to come out and be affordable and they will ultimately replace HD TV's within the next 5 years - that res is 3840 x 2160.

It's easy to forget how slow the adoption rate was for even 1920x1080. While 4K sets might be relatively affordable within the next 5 years, I expect it'll take considerably longer for them to become the "new normal" in the average home. Note that the new PS4 will still have analog outputs. Apparently Sony still feels that having HDMI only would limit their market too much.

Scott

Any flight sim based games for consoles are usually jet fighter games. I would be completely floored if any game developers made a hardcore sim geared to aviation buffs. Flight simmers are a different breed of gamer...well their attitude anyways when it comes to simming. They are willing to spend hours in the cockpit watching guages adn readouts, and doing all the other things most gamers would consider "boring". The average console gamer is seeking "instant gratification", by means of flashy graphics, in depth stories, and mass mayhem. Hours of cruise flight at FL300 isn't going to attract many.

The other constraint is the many peripherals that simmers like to use. Multiple display screens, yokes, TQ's, rudder peddles, guage displays, home built controls, etc. How do you plug all these in, and how do developers afford the cost to get a licence to use the source code to allow interaction of their peripherals? Many peripherals rely on the open source nature of FSX to work with such modules like FSUIPC. Things like this just aren't going to work on consoles.

And when you look at the graphical abilities of consoles, sure they look great, but how much do they really show? Flight simmers expect a higher level of detail and draw distance than I think any console could manage to display.

When it comes to multiple monitors, i do know that one of the xbox's best driving "sims", Forza Motorsport, requires you to have an xbox for EACH display and a copy of the game for EACH xbox, so 3 displays for front right and left= 3 xboxes, 3 copies of forza. It gets to be insanely expensive

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Well, here's an interesting little tidbit from Sony relative to a second screen:

"A new application from SCE called “PlayStation®App” will enable iPhone, iPad, and AndroidTM based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can,for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game,..."

So, there may be some limited options available.

Scott

When it comes to multiple monitors' date=' i do know that one of the xbox's best driving "sims", Forza Motorsport, requires you to have an xbox for EACH display and a copy of the game for EACH xbox, so 3 displays for front right and left= 3 xboxes, 3 copies of forza. It gets to be insanely expensive[/quote']

Each Xbox only costs a few hundred dollars. How much do the top end video cards cost? How much do people spend on building a home cockpit? And then how much time is spent tweaking and configuring everything?

Also, the new PS4 supports using a smartphone or tablet as a second screen. The Wii U has a second screen in the controller. Microsoft released their SmartGlass apps for smartphones with similar functionality last year. Lots of possible alternatives and additions to just physically plugging another monitor in.

Each Xbox only costs a few hundred dollars. How much do the top end video cards cost? How much do people spend on building a home cockpit? And then how much time is spent tweaking and configuring everything?

Also, the new PS4 supports using a smartphone or tablet as a second screen. The Wii U has a second screen in the controller. Microsoft released their SmartGlass apps for smartphones with similar functionality last year. Lots of possible alternatives and additions to just physically plugging another monitor in.

That sounds very promising !! i didn't know that PS4 will support smartphone or tablet as a second screen.

One thing for sure you won't have so many app running in the back ground when you are playing flight simulator , that won't cause stutter that you get in FSX . But it looks promising if any flight simulator comes out for ps4 .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

So today i was reading on what Sony added to the new soon to be release some time this year Playstation 4 . From what i read the PS4 will be powered by an eight-core CPU, a powerful GPU and 8GB of RAM. It is said that it will have computer graphic or even better to come . Now computer games such as diablo 3 will be compatible to play on PS4. So i stop to think what would a Flight simulator look like on a powerful game console as the PS4 will have. I mean you can also be able to add a keyboard just like a normal computer also most likely a joystick , don't know about a yoke or anything like that. It will be pretty amazing to see flight simulator finally on a game console . But when i stop to think about it i find it very impossible , because what would happen to developers like PMDG , Aerosoft , sony is a little greedy when it comes to adding extra addon to their console or anything in that matter. What do you guys think share your opinions? My personal opinion is that i don't think that might happen because i know how sony are with their products , if they do release any flight simulator for PS4 i don't think they will support any 3rd party addons .I don't think it will be so much realistic speaking when it comes to looking around a VC or actually panning adding altitude an messing around with other controls of other aircrafts. But what can i say i have an open mind an you never know what sony comes up with in this new PS4. If it can support diablo 3 that is a big heavy games in graphic an CPU power who knows if a flight simulator might come next.

It would look like Ace Combat XVXIX, another motion-controlled piece of arcade crap that is really just a glorified and clunky third-person shooter, a genre that itself is a failure at root.

The PS4 is yet another stillbirth from Sony, like the Vita. I expect Sony will try to become Yet Another Online Company, and fail miserably even at that.

They're dead, Jim.

It would look like Ace Combat XVXIX, another motion-controlled piece of arcade crap that is really just a glorified and clunky third-person shooter, a genre that itself is a failure at root.

The PS4 is yet another stillbirth from Sony, like the Vita. I expect Sony will try to become Yet Another Online Company, and fail miserably even at that.

They're dead, Jim.

yea i guest your right . Ace Combat that is the game i was looking for the name . I had that game not like it very much because the limits you get to fly into certain area hate that . Sony needs to try something new an big an stop being so dam greedy with 3rd party add on .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Well HP announced a 6% drop in sales today so the global requirement for PC.s is slowly shrinking. Soon it will be as niche a market as the FSX market is. Interesting times ahead.

The only model I can see that could have the durability of FSX for a platform is one which is comprised of a very solid, robust core engine built to scale in the same direction as PC hardware, i.e., will take full advantage of multicore, larger amounts of ram, advanced graphical APIs, and has the SDK's to attract a large cadre of 3rd party development. This is the proven model in FSX, however FSX no longer scales in the direction of hardware. Any flight simulator build for the console domain will likely fall flat on its face quickly due to the lack of new addons which expand the depth and quality of the simulation over many years, making it attractive to both end users who don't mind investing in something w/ some serious service life as well as 3PD's who need a stable robust core to develop for. Maybe XPlane 64-bit will get there, it's still a little hard to say.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just get your hopes up and stay with FSX :cool:

Trust me i will stay with FSX it gives you that problem every now an then but we manage sometime to get it fix right away . So it is worth it

The only model I can see that could have the durability of FSX for a platform is one which is comprised of a very solid, robust core engine built to scale in the same direction as PC hardware, i.e., will take full advantage of multicore, larger amounts of ram, advanced graphical APIs, and has the SDK's to attract a large cadre of 3rd party development. This is the proven model in FSX, however FSX no longer scales in the direction of hardware. Any flight simulator build for the console domain will likely fall flat on its face quickly due to the lack of new addons which expand the depth and quality of the simulation over many years, making it attractive to both end users who don't mind investing in something w/ some serious service life as well as 3PD's who need a stable robust core to develop for. Maybe XPlane 64-bit will get there, it's still a little hard to say.

Something like X plane is the closest i can see any simulator to come out for PS4 . But it is still hard to say. We still don't know all the features the ps4 game console will come out with .

Mr Leny