Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

Shade, SweetFX, ENB?......help please

I have just built my new system, and am pleased to have some overhead for additional eye candy. I have been flying with FSX bloom active, but in heavy weather using REX textures and Opus - I drop below the sacred 30 fps mark and get stutters. Once I disable bloom, back to solid 30 I go. So, to get the same effect I really like, I have given Shade a try but could not get it to work Full Screen on a single monitor setup - my fps went down to 7 or something....going windowed brought it back up.

I have used ENB in the past but found it hard to get just right for my eye (I do Spyder calibrate my display). My question is....is there anyone else out there running one or a combination of the above on their machine in full screen mode? If so, could you let me know how you have it setup. If the frame hit is as hard as FSX bloom, I will have to pass. For the record, I have my machine tuned via Word Not Allowed's blog tips and am not running in DX10 mode. I fly mostly in Orbx land, and rarely if ever, fly heavies. Thanks to all for your time and assistance.

Dan -

I don't know squat about ENB series or shaders or what not. I'm not even 100% sure what "Shade" or "ENB" is....I know it has something to do with lighting or graphics. However, I stumbled upon this thread over at the REX forums a few moments ago. It caught my attention because the screenshots were gorgeous. so maybe this might help...

http://www.realenvir...nload-included/

Seriously consider following and trying the DX10 setup guide. It has transformed my setup into a beautiful sim where I rarely have to worry about stutters, etc. Everything looks gorgeous too.

Tom

I've been using ENB for about 4 months. No problems, simple to set up. I've heard of people having crashes with SweetFX (at least that's what they've reported the cause bo be).

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Seriously consider following and trying the DX10 setup guide.

I did follow it, and while the results were quite nice - it does not play nice with all of my add-ons I will be waiting for the next version of P3D to drop, and then migrate. I appreciate the advice though, as I know it is most definitely working great for many people.

It caught my attention because the screenshots were gorgeous. so maybe this might help...

Thanks for the thread link...I'm on my way to check it out.

Looks like that 24hr ENB is gonna be the ticket. From what I am reading, people that tried it (like me) and did not find it that appealing, are liking this particular one. Thanks!

Just a heads up: I quit using ENB long ago because it adds a slight "soft focus" which blurs the details of edges and textures.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Is REX required to use the ENB series modifications?

No. As far as I could see, all they did was make a modified enbpalette.bmp and a modified .ini file to go with it. ENB is developed by someone else.

Gregg

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Shade, for my tastes. ENB, Sweet, FXAA and such have some features about them that I really like but in terms of just plain simple... Shade is my preference. Not to mention that the others seem to have some issue with systems running dual monitors, as I do. I don't run dual in FSX but if I do not disable the 2nd monitor, none of the others work in full screen. Additionally, none of those seem to play well with ECZA as every time I change cameras, the shaders reload causing a flash.

Shade just works.

If you find the right version of ENB you 'might' be okay but the CTD Forum is filled with crashes caused by this module. I used it for a couple of weeks before I started seeing unexplained crashes and anomalies in FSX. I heard SweetFX is a replacement for ENB and there's a really long post here in this forum about it but I think I'll stay with DX10 and Shade and leave those mods alone.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just what I was looking for. 4 flights in and solid as a rock. No impact on my FPS. I could not be happier. Thanks again for the link!

You are quite welcome sir :)

Looking at those screenshots from the REX forum I might have to try and figure out this "Shade" thing and ENB thing and get it to work for myself. I really don't know much about it except that CPS installed the *.dll and *.ini in my FSX folder and started causing all kinds of crashes...just like Jim described. They just use it for night vision though so I was just able to remove it from my folder unless I would be requiring the night vision.

Those Shade/ENB effects sure look nice though!

Looking at those screenshots from the REX forum I might have to try and figure out this "Shade" thing and ENB thing and get it to work for myself.

I already jumped into Shade as well. It has really helped and I love the interface it offers. I am using a combination of both and am quite pleased. I believe the ENB .ini I am using at the moment, only enhances the bloom aspects. Either way....it rocks. With my calibrated monitor, the colors finally look something like the real world. Give it a try. One of the top threads over at Orbx has a ton of posts on the subject. Seems to be a popular thing to do.