Sign in to follow this  
Jarkko

Overspeed protection for MD11 and JS41?

Hello!

First things first, I know that this request is a long shot, but I think it's worth asking, so here we go:

A couple of users (including me) are having problems with overspeed situations when using OpusFSX with MD11, JS41 and Leonardo Maddog. PMDG's NGX and 747 seem to have no problems handling Opus winds.

If I have understood the situation correctly, FSX changes the current speed to 0 during weather update (only for a split second). Continuing with an example:

Couple of days ago, I did a flight from KBLI to KSKA (FL170) with strong tailwind (40kts). When the weather is updated, the tailwind goes from 40 to 0kts => overspeed.

What could cause MD11 and JS41 to be sensitive to the wind change, when NGX and 747 do not seem to mind? How unlikely would it be to release an Opus friendly version?

Again, I know that this is a long shot, but I had to ask, because these are the products I use 90% of the time. Thanks!

Yes.. as said by Stephen (the creator of Opus) Creators of the planes have to make a filter to avoid those noise peaks in the wind. They are the only that can make that. But as you know J41 and MD11 don't receive any more updates... do they?

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Thanks for the info Japo, I hadn't realized there was a technical reason for it. At least I will save some time trying different settings in an attempt to resolve it.

For now to save your flights and now have overspeed always it is better to maitain your speed some knots behind the usual we all do (near the overspeed below limit).. so if we have a change of wing those extra IAS don't go to the red tape. Same when descending 10,000ft. Maintain 240 instead 250.

In cruise I'm just been turning off automatic weather updating if I'm away from the keyboard.

I know that this request is a long shot

Jarkko

You got that right. Never happen in a thousand years. We'll see the Second Coming before we will see an update for the MD-11.

Michael Cubine

Michael, who knows? If there is a clearly identifiable problem with the MD-11 and Opus, which is quickly becoming the weather engine of choice, it is affecting a lot of users. If, and I repeat if, this is the case, and it is a relatively easy fix, and again I repeat if it is a relatively easy fix, why not put out a small patch?

I am using FSUIPC wind smoothing for that case. I believe it is set here to change no more than 5 kts per second

Stephen says that the wind smoothing in FSUIPC is better to switch it off. Says that even activating it, make worst things. Don't know.

I never experienced this with AS2012. I wonder if indeed the airplane creators are the one that have to do something....

At least for me, it seems that FSX internal weather bugs cause a situation where you either have "realistic/controlled" weather at the surface or at your cruise altitude, but not both.

As "Japo32" mentioned, one of the weather engine developers has said, that airplane creators could possibly "help out", by filtering "noisy data", that FSX produces (when using advanced weather engines).

If updates to these "old" but wonderful airplanes is out of the question, I wonder if PMDG could provide one of their products to weather engine developers (for testing purposes)? I know that Opus already uses PMDG 737 for testing. The problem is that the 737 doesn't seem to mind about the "erratic" weather data.

I am using FSUIPC wind smoothing for that case. I believe it is set here to change no more than 5 kts per second

Bart

It does not work for OpusFSX. I have tried it.

Michael Cubine

In AS2012 this not happen because it is controlled weather. Global. Not local and realistic as Opus.

AS2012 has Standard Depiction mode that provides only correct surface conditions, but causes cloud and wind shits. (A mode loosely comparable to Opus)

It also has direct/global weather for correct winds aloft but universal surface conditions.