Sign in to follow this  
Jarkko

Overspeed protection for MD11 and JS41?

AS2012 has Standard Depiction mode that provides only correct surface conditions, but causes cloud and wind shits. (A mode loosely comparable to Opus)

It also has direct/global weather for correct winds aloft but universal surface conditions.

In AS2012 this not happen because it is controlled weather. Global. Not local and realistic as Opus.

I don't know how it's your configuration in AS2012 but I don't have nor wind or clouds shift. In fact, using Opus some times the clouds change suddenly from one type to another, or to fluffy ones to flat ones.

Maybe I came in the wrong way, I own all 3 weather programs, and I like Opus over the other 2, but as far as injecting the weather into FSX Opus has a problem. I don't care if AS2012 is a controlled weather or whatever, it has to inject it nonetheless, and this micro "weather" shift does not occur with it.

Anyway, I will keep using Opus.

No no, I don't have any problem of wind swift with AS2012. I have with Opus which for me is better.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

I own all 3 weather programs, and I like Opus over the other 2, but as far as injecting the weather into FSX Opus has a problem. ...

Anyway, I will keep using Opus.

I also own all of the 3 wx programs and would like to continue using Opus if these overspeed troubles can be somehow worked around.

Just to get back on topic: on the official Opus forum, Stephen mentioned that someone could contact PMDG and Leonardo about the overspeed protection. I realized to be that I could be that "someone" ;)

I don't think PMDG will touch the code of the MD11 or the J41. The last one has known bugs and they said that they won't fix it.

I think that taking into consideration that Opus is still in development, we have more chances to have something fixed with Opus than with the MD11 or J41.

That's what I think.

What I just read above, is something like.

"Opus causes the wind to go from massive tailwinds to 0kts in a millisecond instant sometimes - but it's the PMDG MD11 that is causing the issue, not the sudden 100 knot jump in airspeed caused by the OPUS doing something to the winds that would never happen in real life and that doesn't happen in other weather programs, but Opus is more realistic so I'm not going to stop using it, or use fsuicp to smooth out the winds so that the 100kt jump in windspeed happens slowly over 5 minutes - Fix the MD11 so it can handle 100kt changes in airspeed in 0.01 seconds!"

FACE PALM

Sudden windshifts is something that happens in FSX. FSUCIP can stop it from happening. Therefore the fix to the sudden windshift problem is... not using high quality payware addon aircraft?

DOUBLE FACE PALM.

Demanding that high quality payware addon aircraft be modified so that they can handle 100kt instantaneous changes in windspeed?

QUADRUPLE FACE PALM

Get FSUIPC and add wind shift protections. Easy simple answer. No more coming to a complete stop at FL350

Close but no cigar ;)

Let's start of with FSUIPC. I have the registered version and have used it with other weather programs. Works fine with them.

The problem is that the FSUIPC protection is designed for weather that is injected to FSX in a more "traditional" way. I'm not quite sure if this is correct, but I vaguely remember reading that even the FSUIPC developer had said that Opus doesn't use "traditional" way of injecting weather => can't be protected at the moment.

The main thing I'm trying to avoid here is a situation where wx engine developers say that the aircraft have to be updated and the aircraft developers say that it's nothing they wan't to do.

This just gets us to a situation where no one does anything to alleviate the problem. I can see two sides of the coin:

wx engine developer's: "The product works with 90% of the aircrafts out there. We can't buy and test every one of them. Wouldn't it be easier for the aircraft developer add data filtering to a couple of products that are more sensitive than others."

and the aircraft developers: "Our product has worked just fine with other weather engines, why should we make any changes?"

Without knowing anything about coding for FSX I would still guess that a simple, outlier based filter might be possible to add to an aircraft. Then again, changeing the way that weather is injected to FSX, might not be a big problem. i really do not know.

I'm just trying to find a solution how I can do enjoyable flights with Opus and these wonderful planes.

(It is 1 AM so sorry for any typos)

I'm just curious as to how you guys think we can "filter out" what for all intents and purposes is a very huge case of windshear? Things like wind suddenly going from 40 knots to 0 has caused crashes in real life. When these shifts happen in FSX, it's not just some visual thing on the speed tape in the cockpit - the airplane is actually being physically affected by it and FSX applies a real force to the aircraft.

I also don't see how supposedly only the MD-11 and J41 are susceptible to this - the NGX and 747 don't have anything that stops this either. (Again, I don't see how they even could filter out a real physical force on the airplane)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Finally some sense into this matter.

I use AS2012 SP2 in it's latest beta, with Daveo's recommended settings when flying NGX and MD-11, all wind smoothing in FSUIPC disabled.

I never had any issues with windshifts, preasurechanges or sudden high temperatures aloft. My fuelcalculations and ETAs are spot on, as long as the winds aloft predictions I get from AS2012 are programmed in my FMC/FMS.

I own Opus too, great depiction of real weather when flying GA, but for tubeliner longhauls, nah...

23.png

Finally some sense into this matter.

I use AS2012 SP2 in it's latest beta, with Daveo's recommended settings when flying NGX and MD-11, all wind smoothing in FSUIPC disabled.

I never had any issues with windshifts, preasurechanges or sudden high temperatures aloft. My fuelcalculations and ETAs are spot on, as long as the winds aloft predictions I get from AS2012 are programmed in my FMC/FMS.

I own Opus too, great depiction of real weather when flying GA, but for tubeliner longhauls, nah...

My thoughts exactly! I also run AS2012, the latest version, and have ZERO issues with wind shifts or anything else for that matter.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

the airplane is actually being physically affected by it and FSX applies a real force to the aircraft

Thank you Ryan for your time!

This answers my question very well. Because I didn't have enough info on how FSX works (and reading weather related posts), I got the the impression that wind "spikes" could be filtered out.

This was based on the observation that the spikes only last for fraction of a second. You see the speed jump and before you even blink, it goes back to "normal". The tail wind component data could look something like this:

40 40 40 40 0 0 0 40 40 40 40 40 40

If the speed would only been a "visual effect", there could have been a possibility that the data could have been filtered out.

Thanks again for the info!

- Jarkko

Yeah I mean if you saw that kind of data on a real life flight data recorder you'd conclude the plane flew through a microburst or something. (I got to do one of these just after takeoff in an actual full flight sim last year - it is incredibly scary)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I stopped using OPUS because of this. AS2012 latest version has a nearly as good (if not as good) weather depiction and doesn't have any of these wind/pressure/temperature shifts. Yes, it's not only the wind... Check the temperature and pressure when the shift happens.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I find this funny, Opus find a way to hack into FSX directly (I can scarcely believe that SimConnect weather pushes cannot be controlled by FSUIPC, and they claim what they do, can not be controlled), in a totally non-standart way, that could make problems in and of itself, yet it is the airplane developers that should do the fixing, not themselves... No, thank you.

I don't know how it's your configuration in AS2012 but I don't have nor wind or clouds shift.

There is a warning in the AS2012 manual about this (when using Standard mode). I have also seen it happen => I decided to use DWC mode.

yet it is the airplane developers that should do the fixing, not themselves

Just to make clear for everyone, Opus didn't say that the airplane developers _should_ fix anything. They mentioned that if filtering would be possible, we wouldn't have these problems.