Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

Video cards/multiple monitor questions - TWO subjects!

So...

My FSX has been looking OK... Not super, just great. I've been noticing microstutters, poor framerates, etc. I had thought that my HD6870's were 2gb cards, but they are in fact 1gb each. Don't quite know how I missed that, exactly.

So...

I'm considering new video cards. Yes, I've read the many threads about ATI vs nVidia card, some of which end in comments that simply disparage one maker or the other or the posters. I've looked at the data and framerates, etc. Yes, nVidia units do appear to perform better in FSX. Such may be the case.

However, I am moving to an Eyefinity-type display with 3 monitors. I'm understanding that for multiple monitors, ATI is the way to go, as they do a better job of handling multiple monitors.

I will be primarily running in VC mode, not 2D. I'm not completely unhappy with ATI and don't have a negative impression of nVidia either.

The cards that I am considering is either 2 3Gb 7970's, or one 6Gb 7970, or one 4Gb GTX670/680, or two if necessary, and need the flexibility of Eyevision or equivalent.

Opinions? Data?

Kev

Hi Kev

While doing some research into the current GPU that I'm running----a Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC----I came across an article that states that by adding another of these in SLi mode, it is possible to hook up 3 monitors or more as each GPU outputs to 2 monitors. So maybe that would be an option for you to consider if you were to go for the Nvidia route. I'm quite happy with this new GPU I obtained as I'm getting decent FPS having married it to a Dell U2412M.

I need more info on FSX framerates with the nVidia setup. HardOCP indicated that in sims at 5760X1080 resolution, the triple monitor setup drags, so I'd like to see more info on this.

Since you want some opinions, here's mine. I did a comparison between the AMD 6970 and the Nvidia 580 both in the respective surround modes (Eyefinity and Surround). I found while initially AMD was easier to set up back then (you can tell this is a way back with the model numbers I used), nowadays both are very easy.

But the results were quite different. The Nvidia cards (you need two for surround with the 580), I got better performance than the 6970 and a much better visual (shimmers, spike, blurries, etc.). So I went with Nvidia.

I now use Nvidia with Lockheed Martin Prepar3D and that is where I have found the best performance. Where FSX would take my 30FPS (locked) down to 15 quite regularly with three displays (Surround), I can maintain 30FPS much of the time in P3D in Surround. P3D handles multiple displays/GPUs far better IMO than FSX. It was a game changer for me.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I can maintain 30FPS much of the time in P3D in Surround. P3D handles multiple displays/GPUs far better IMO than FSX. It was a game changer for me.

Clutch

Very interesting comment. I also struggle in the 12-18 fps in surround and this seems a huge incentive to switch to p3d....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Hmm... Interesting. I had thought that P3D just got the rights to FSX's core and rolled with it. Is LM in fact continuing to develop the old FSX platform?

For nVidia tri-screen setup I´d recommend gtx 680 4gb, and SLI for nVIdia cards decreases performance in FSX, but the GTX has four sockets, and with the Kepler card you can Surround on a single card. You´ll need two converters for the two non-DVI outputs. I´ve been on a gtx 460 OC for some time with TH2G plus a touch screen, and performance has been reasonable, my total system taken into account. But on my new build I´m going the above route, and for now I have high hopes for it.

Yes Kattz, LM is actively developing the ol' FSX platform (in actuality it is the old Microsoft ESP platform, which is essentially the pro version of FSX). So improvements are happening...

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

Yes Kattz, LM is actively developing the ol' FSX platform (in actuality it is the old Microsoft ESP platform, which is essentially the pro version of FSX). So improvements are happening...

Well, I might have to disburse some cash and make a move...

How about if you want to run 3 monitors for outside view (no vc) and hen two more for the Pfds and so on? Would that need two graphics cards? I'm considering 2 x GTX 670s or 1 x GTX 680 4 GB plus an extra 670 for the panel instruments?

I think either constellation would give you good performance, a 4 gig card is wise for three screens, you could do with a 2 gigz for the panels. Concider a touch screen, makes for an awesome start-up when pulling down the OH and actually using your hands for pushing buttons.

I agree. I use a 10" TC for my CDU now. Works awesome.

Yea, I have (3) 27" displays for my outside or I use it as a VC. I have a 12" touchscreen on a 2nd PC which can run a variety of external panel setups I create depending on what I fly. What I like is I have lot's of options on just what I want to display and where. I'm sure next time around (probably when P3D v2 is released), I will look at 4GB cards depending on just what LM improved with GPU's, SLI and the like.