Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Simplates X smartphone app

Hello guys,

Buying more and more add-ons lately, hence the reason for the many threads I create (I apologize).

For a very long while I've been looking at a suitable program or app to display charts inside FSX. And so far I haven't found the perfect program yet. In the past, I started using charts by looking them up on Google, but I always hated to ALT+ENTER every single time so I stopped doing that. Later on, I subsribed to Navigraph which provide good charts, but I always had to print them because I don't like to ALT+ENTER all the time. Recently, I've decided to stop using it since the moment they changed their subscription system to direct payment and without credits, and they've nearly doubled the price of set of charts. And whenever a company decides to become like this I stop supporting them.

Lately I was looking at Aivlasoft EFB, I almost bought it just for the charts but I'm glad I did not. I tried the demo and it turned out the charts can only be accessed in windowed mode and additionally the charts are not "actual" charts showing SID/STARS and approach plates, they are more like maps or a GPS, they do provide good airport diagrams though...

So I was looking at Simplates X today and decided to download the demo for the PC and so far I LOVE IT. It's very convenient, easy, and works great. BUT - it can't be accessed inside FSX and I don't have a 2nd monitor and I don't want one because I want to be running in full screen.

Then it turned out they have an app for Android, and lucky as I am, I own a Galaxy S3 which has a relatively big screen which should be good for charts too.

But I'm just wondering, how good is the smartphone version? Just as good and easy to use as the PC version? Are the charts easy to access, easy to read despite it being on the phone? Price is high (30$) so I just wanto be sure...

Thanks

You might want to look into aivlasofts Electronic Flight Bag

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Did you read my post at all? Apparently not. I already said I tried the demo of Aivlasoft EFB but it's not an option because the charts are more like maps only showing navaids etc,, but it doesn't feature approach plates or SID/STARS. Secondly, it cannot be accessed in FSX' full screen. Second screen is not an option too because I always run in full screen and I don't have the money nor do I have the room for it.

This is why I was asking about an Android app (Simplates X). The PC version is great but I want to be able to fly and access charts at the same time without having to do things like ALT+ENTER.

Er... he said he'd tried the demo and didn't like the pseudo-charts.

Wish I could help, Arjen, but I went a different direction with an iPad and FS Kneeboard 2, which I highly recommend (FS Kneeboard 2, that is - I have a love/hate relationship with my iPad). I do have some reservations about charts on a smartphone screen, though, even a larger one.

Hopefully someone else has tried this and can comment.

Scott

I love the PC version. The problem with FS Kneeboard 2 is it only has US charts i think?

I have SimplatesX on my iPad and I'm quite pleased with it. You do have to update the internal database from time to time or otherwise you'll get frequent errors while trying to access the charts. Charts are mostly up to date and quite complete. Sometimes certain charts are missing for an airport.

Dauntless uses charts that are publicly available, which explains that there are some gaps.

All in all it's an ok app and since I'm not aware of anything better with a reasonable price ( not interested in a full Jeppesen subscription for iPad) I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I am interested in this too, but my goodness, seems sometimes it's very hard to actually read a post...! Arjen said he has an Android Smartphone and likes to see "actual" charts showing SID/STARS and approach plates. And so... people tell him to get EFB (which he already talked about in the OP), run a browser on a tablet (what tablet?!?) and use Skyvector (does that come with the charts he want?!?) or to get FS Kneeboard 2 which is only available for Apple devices... My goodness. B)

Luckily fwerff has an on topic answer ^_^ One question though: do you think SimplatesX would be any good on a small (compared to the iPad) smartphone screen...?

I see the Android version also is the Ultra version which seems to have a pretty good coverage: http://www.dauntless...airportlist.asp

EDIT

Just had a look at the screenshots on the Android site https://play.google....simplates&hl=en and those shots are a bit larger then my screen (I have a HTC Desire HD) and already the information on the screenshots is almost impossible to read... This is how it would be in 'real life' on my smartphone (don't mind the marketing blah blah). I think I would get sick of zooming in and out pretty quickly... I think I have to go along with Scott's reservations about charts on a smartphone screen.

1361609212.jpg

... or to get FS Kneeboard 2 which is only available for Apple devices... My goodness.

To be clear, I did recommend FS Kneeboard 2 in general, but not to Arjen - it is what I use but would not fit his needs. I should also mention for the sake of clarity that FS Kneeboard 2 only directly supports US Charts, in case others were interested. You can import other charts, but it's not an automated updated process like the US service is.

I did at one point try using charts on my Android phone (not simplates - just sampled pdf's)... and went back to printing charts until I get FS Kneeboard 2. I stopped because the process was slow and cumbersome and because everything was too small to be useful. I had to constantly zoom and move for details and it was hard to see the big picture. But my droid screen is smaller than Arjen's, thus I left the opinion soft.

Scott