Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Terminal lights for FSX

Oh, I see. I raised the elevation of the 200 ft square illumination and it did illuminate the building. I'll have to experiment with that.

I really want to try to avoid making _l and _lm textures for this building...making a darker version of a single texture with illumination spots isn't too bad but doing it for 10-15 and getting the 'lighting' even between them all is daunting. Since this is the terminal I don't mind it being less efficient than all the other buildings in and around the area so I'm hoping special effects can help me out.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I really want to try to avoid making _l and _lm textures for this building...making a darker version of a single texture with illumination spots isn't too bad but doing it for 10-15 and getting the 'lighting' even between them all is daunting. Since this is the terminal I don't mind it being less efficient than all the other buildings in and around the area so I'm hoping special effects can help me out.

If you look at the example screenshots I posted in the "33MO - Leaming Field" thread at FS Developer, pay special attention to the shots of the patio area, with the lighted ceiling fans. See how the light illuminates the picnic tables underneath each one, as well as the patio paving itself.

Also, take a close look at the "Tiki Torches" I placed around the outside picnic tables, and how the 'light cone' was constructed.

Finally, study how the outside lights near the doors were made, and how the light illuminates both the building itself and the ground immediately below them.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I saw that a few days ago...pretty much in awe. As an amateur I'm asking how much I can really do. Took me days to sort out transparencies and reflections. As luck would have it the airport terminal I'm working on has a lot of ramp facing glass. I guess most do.

Here's the real world terminal I'm working on...

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6608717

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

That is one fine looking terminal/FBO...

Fr. Bill    

Heck...I picked the airport because it was easy but I was really just filling out the area around the airport. Started out just putting stock objects around. These images aren't up to date...I've added quite a bit more.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396162-instant-studio-20/

But then I started looking at the stock stuff and got IOS...felt like it could be better. So I've custom made some houses and business buildings. The terminal seemed like a positive step but talk about tough. Didn't feel like fake glass would be sufficient. But I may use fake windows at night for a while until, and if, I learn more about the light.

Gregg Seipp

I'm not sure if my method is too simplistic but I paint the light onto the buildings and the ground textures and that seems to work ok. I use gimp and create layers for back light, windo light and lighting and export them as my file_LM.bmp. If you wan't the light to shine on your aircraft as you taxi through and find a way to do that, we'd all love to know.

If you wan't the light to shine on your aircraft as you taxi through and find a way to do that, we'd all love to know.

That's precisely what my Ramp Light Library download is all about. See previous replies in this topic.

Fr. Bill