Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

Brakes

I've just released my imagination...

Let's say that during landing u overrun touching point a bit, so as result u have to apply heavy braking.

At the end of the runway brake synoptic is showing amber brake temp. warning, 5 or more.

U just vacate runway and suddenly plane stops because wheel thermal fuses melt down and all air from wheels is released.

I think that simulate of thermal fuse action would contribute a lot to 777 simulation realism.

Deflated tires could be simulated by stopping plane as with parking brake on.

Visual and sound effect would be even better of course.

I do not have a clue if this is possible to implement, but as i see PMDG can do a lot more than other developers, so i hope they can add such feature.

I think none of FSX planes has this feature, so PMDG could be the first.

What do u think dear pilots ?

BR/Artur

Artur 

Brake failure due to overheating has been around for years on quite a few other addons. No reason why PMDG cannot implement it. The question is time and if it is already part of the feature list.

Hopefully it already is. Btw, you can still taxi with deflated tires, the aircraft wouldn't come to stop.

Rob Prest

I would guess that it will be a very rare situation to have all tyres deflated. Taxiing with assymetric tyre pressures may be difficult to simulate.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Is it allowed to continue taxi with deflated tires ?

I think continuing taxi with such condition will completely destroy those tires.

Btw., which FSX planes simulate deflated tires ?

BR/Art

Artur 

I think continuing taxi with such condition will completely destroy those tires.

If the thermal fuses on the tyres have already melted, aren't the tyres already destroyed?

I don't think any planes simulate deflated tyres, only brake fade/failure due to overheating.

The PMDG NGX already simulates brake fade due to overheating. It's quite easy to cook the brakes if you have the steel brake package fitted, but the carbon system is a lot more resilient.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Of course u can overheat 737NGX brakes but then what ?, nothing happen, just EICAS message.

The case is to join overheating with consequences.

BR/Art

Artur 

Re-read his post, he said brake fade.. Something that has been around in FS for a while

In an extreme case (I have never tested it with the NGX) with other certain addons if I tried two RTO's in a row without sufficient cooling in between, the second RTO would result in a complete failure, red hot brakes and a overrun. Same thing with a long taxi to the active and intentionally abusing the brakes until they are above 300/400c (airbus) if I then rejected the roll at V1 with max manual braking the outcome was never pretty.

It was my one big request for the MD11, along with fixing the 62k thrust bug. Hopefully in a few years they will revisit the MD

Rob Prest

I know that after excessive braking brakes will fade and this effect is noticeable.

i also flew 737NGX for quite many hours and practicing RTO as well.

My point is that in reality when u will do RTO with heavy plane (fully loaded), there is high probability that u will end RTO with flat tires.

Maybe it will not happen for 737, but for big liners as 777 for sure can happen.

So again, fading is nice feature, but maybe there is a chance to improve it further

BR/Art

Artur 

I'd rather have simulated icing, simulated snowy runway's / wet runways. Off course simulated hot brakes, exploding tyres etc.

I think that simulate of thermal fuse action would contribute a lot to 777 simulation realism.

Looking at the marked word - when does that happen in reality? Hot brakes might not be so rare, but the air being released from the tires...? I have only seen that happening after tests.

RTO on a 777 at MTOW at or near V1 would deflate the tires, that is what the plugs are designed to do In order to prevent them from exploding.

Fortunately high speed aborts are rare in the real world, but it obviously does happen. I can think of a few on the 777 that has resulted in deflated tires.

Regards

Rob Prest

but the air being released from the tires...? I have only seen that happening after tests.

This happened when QF32 landed in Singapore after the decontained engine failure. So yes, it does happen in "non-test" situations.

This happened when QF32 landed in Singapore after the decontained engine failure. So yes, it does happen in "non-test" situations.

Awesome, I didn't know that. How do they get the plane away then? I assume you can't just pump them up?