Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought I was in it for the pretty graphics...

I discovered something funny last week. I always thought I was the kind of 'simmer' that was focused on good graphics and nice scenery. I wanted things to look great and systems were of less importance.

Lately I have been flying the PMDG 737NGX with FS2Crew a lot, with the graphical settings pretty low. The last few weeks however I was looking at scenery some more and downloaded various photoreal addons, compared Orbx with those addons and default scenery and even gave Aerofly FS a try (because of the nice graphics).

While flying around in a GA (and not using all the systems but simply using Ctrl-E to get up in the air quickly) and (sometimes) enjoying the scenery, I noticed I was missing something... Even though things looked good (every now and then...) I was bored to death pretty quickly... I was wondering what it was. What did I miss? Why didn't the scenery satisfy me?

And after a while I got it: what I missed was 'depth in the sim'. I was missing fooling around with systems, knobs, switches, starting up from cold and dark (no matter how simple in a GA), using NAV, VOR, etc. etc. etc. Just flying around aimelessly, 'enjoying' the scenery, is utterly boring! And so I found out I DO appreciate 'deep systems', simuation of this and that, more then I do lovely scenery, and that I am not only in it for the pretty graphics. Pretty graphics are nice and I want them but they are clearly secondary to depth in a sim. (Hence Aerofly FS was removed from my HD in no time: it can't get more boring then with that game...)

This doesn't mean I immediately bought Topcat :rolleyes: , but it was odd to discover that over time my focus has apparently shifted into another direction without me really knowing it... ^_^

Anyone else who has had a similar experience? Maybe in the opposite direction? ^_^

I think I'm in the same boat with you. Scenery is nice and I want it just nice enough to be believable, but what I really want is an aircraft that has reasonably good systems modeling and a realistic flight model. My computer is getting quite old and I cannot turn all the graphics sliders to maximum, but as long as the scenery is close enough to fool my aging eyes, I'm happy. The scenery aspect I am more focused on these days are the airports. Many of those that I frequent have either been replaced with add-on packages or I've upgraded them using Airport Design Editor X. Outside of the airports... well, close enough is good enough for me.

I discovered something funny last week. I always thought I was the kind of 'simmer' that was focused on good graphics and nice scenery. I wanted things to look great and systems were of less importance.

Lately I have been flying the PMDG 737NGX with FS2Crew a lot, with the graphical settings pretty low. The last few weeks however I was looking at scenery some more and downloaded various photoreal addons, compared Orbx with those addons and default scenery and even gave Aerofly FS a try (because of the nice graphics).

While flying around in a GA (and not using all the systems but simply using Ctrl-E to get up in the air quickly) and (sometimes) enjoying the scenery, I noticed I was missing something... Even though things looked good (every now and then...) I was bored to death pretty quickly... I was wondering what it was. What did I miss? Why didn't the scenery satisfy me?

And after a while I got it: what I missed was 'depth in the sim'. I was missing fooling around with systems, knobs, switches, starting up from cold and dark (no matter how simple in a GA), using NAV, VOR, etc. etc. etc. Just flying around aimelessly, 'enjoying' the scenery, is utterly boring! And so I found out I DO appreciate 'deep systems', simuation of this and that, more then I do lovely scenery, and that I am not only in it for the pretty graphics. Pretty graphics are nice and I want them but they are clearly secondary to depth in a sim. (Hence Aerofly FS was removed from my HD in no time: it can't get more boring then with that game...)

This doesn't mean I immediately bought Topcat :rolleyes: , but it was odd to discover that over time my focus has apparently shifted into another direction without me really knowing it... ^_^

Anyone else who has had a similar experience? Maybe in the opposite direction? ^_^

Yes back in 2000 after a certain 767 :-)

André

I have the same realization recently too, partly because I got tired of tweaks and this and that trying to get the sim to look best, so I turned down by sliders, turn off ORBX and started going into complex airliner. I would have to say, it is a very satisfying experience. So much so that I now contemplating getting X-Plane 10 64 bit and the T777 Worldliner with it. The only scenery I care for these days is airport scenery.

Vu Pham

i7-2700K 4.8 GHz OC, 16 GB RAM, GTX980, Velociraptor Drives for Sim, SSD for system.  XP11,  P3Dv4.1

I had the same experience too, well, before orbx's PNW I was randomly flying tubeliners and GA in europe, not really too into the stuff (i guess i was too young to really learn Leonardo Maddog back then :P ) then with PNW i started to really fly GA and enjoying the scenery, now after NGX was released i've found myself lean more towards tubeliners fulltime, with 1-2 GA flights in the mix. But i don't have my FTX stuff installed on my FSX right now, i want it to be just for tubeliners and for that UTX + GEX and airport addons do just fine!

Regards, Kim Eriksson.

I have the same realization recently too, partly because I got tired of tweaks and this and that trying to get the sim to look best, so I turned down by sliders, turn off ORBX and started going into complex airliner. I would have to say, it is a very satisfying experience. So much so that I now contemplating getting X-Plane 10 64 bit and the T777 Worldliner with it. The only scenery I care for these days is airport scenery.

try it and you will really like the feeling of flying a 64bit 777 in a 64bit flight sim :drinks: a little warning before you buy: after seeing xplane10 with HDR settings at night and day, you will not be able to fly fsx again :lol: I even got depressed for spending $thousands$ on fs9/fsx/p3d without trying xp10 first. :good:

try it and you will really like the feeling of flying a 64bit 777 in a 64bit flight sim :drinks: a little warning before you buy: after seeing xplane10 with HDR settings at night and day, you will not be able to fly fsx again :lol: I even got depressed for spending $thousands$ on fs9/fsx/p3d without trying xp10 first. :good:

I've been a pilot, and systems guy for a good part of my life. And of course the real life scenery was an excellent reason for doing so. My plan is a CPU upgrade to enjoy the "best" scenery possible for flight simming. That plan would surely include X-Plane.......................but it would take a whole lot of extra 3rd party effort to create new planes & scenery for X-Plane, before I'd ever think of giving FSX up. Perhaps in another five years or so???

Being engaged with a flight is key. Whether it be through keeping track of VC buttons/gauges or trying to spot that cabin near the river fork so you don't enter the wrong valley.

Being engaged with a flight is key. Whether it be through keeping track of VC buttons/gauges or trying to spot that cabin near the river fork so you don't enter the wrong valley.

I agree. I fly FSX for the pretty graphics and in depth GA (such as Carenado and RealAir aircraft). I never get bored with it, perhaps because I fly with Tileproxy, generated photoreal scenery and see scenery comparable to what I see when flying in real life. I even fly the same routes repeatedly (such as Napa to Reno) and discover something new each time I fly them. I haven't touched the big jets in a long time--too much to do, not enough time to enjoy the sights. It's funny, when I first took flying lessons, my CFI (who knew of my my MSFS background being an MSFS fan himself) had to coach me on looking outside more, and worrying about the instruments less. Once I did I was much better at handling the aircraft and learned to have a much lighter touch on the control stick.

John

Photoreal scenery itself sticks me low and slow, the flying at 30,000 following ATC and programming FMC takes on desk job and do not fly tube-liners for that reason. FSX with water and photo-real is awesome always find something new with photo-real flying. Lately, just stick with one plane to make things simple and nothing complicated beyond using the rudder pedals, yoke, throttle, trim.

True, and it gets even more engaging when you DO enter that wrong valley. Nail%20Biting.gif

Barry Friedman

For me, I disabled Orbx scenery (After spending hundreds of dollars, sigh) and tweaked my game/computer to be able to run ultimate terrain USA, FSgenesis mesh, Ground Environment, and Active Sky 2012 with the PMDG NGX. So far I'm having a blast flying real multiple leg routes from Southwest to various addon scenery airports I have. LAX, PHX, LAS, SAN, SFO, SJC, DEN, MDW, BUF, etc. The graphics are nice but obvious could be better in the Orbx areas but I too am enjoying the realism more.

Interesting post. I guess we all enjoy our flight sims for various reasons but it shows that putting the sliders all the way to the right ( or trying to ) is not the be all end all of making a quality sim. Simply flying from A to B can be limiting in what you get out of it as well, though sometimes it can be satisfying enough now and again & when time is a factor, but theres more life in trying to work out an aircrafts systems and doing the ATC stuff along with navigation etc. It can be more rewarding too.

Personally, i like it to look reasonable & also tinker with some systems stuff ( not upto NGX level though ), so half and half for me,

All down to the individual though of course.

Kind Regards

Simon.

Interesting. I was just thinking about this, actually. I suspect its because sim flying is actually kind of boring if you are just puttering along in the sky......

Sooner, rather than later, you need something to keep your enthusiasm up, and some do that, I think, by throwing themselves into the innards of the aircraft and then digging deeper and deeper and deeper, finding variety in endless detail. If that's not enough, then there is the option of buying whole fleets of aircraft to dig into, switching from aircraft to aircraft (or combos of aircraft and scenery) constantly on the lookout out for something new to maintain interest.

Sometimes that interest is in competition; Aerial combat and testing your mettle against the AI and other players in varying scenarios, with the rush of climbing leader boards and making a name for yourself to drive you on. But even then, unless new challenges, planes, scenerys and etc arrive, then just like the technical simmer, familiarity can breed contempt, and boredom will rear its head..........

All caused by the basic fact that just flying around aimlessly up there is inherently........ boring.

Orbx Beta Tester
Just Flight Beta Tester

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Interesting. I was just thinking about this, actually. I suspect its because sim flying is actually kind of boring if you are just puttering along in the sky......

Sooner, rather than later, you need something to keep your enthusiasm up, and some do that, I think, by throwing themselves into the innards of the aircraft and then digging deeper and deeper and deeper, finding variety in endless detail. If that's not enough, then there is the option of buying whole fleets of aircraft to dig into, switching from aircraft to aircraft (or combos of aircraft and scenery) constantly on the lookout out for something new to maintain interest.

Sometimes that interest is in competition; Aerial combat and testing your mettle against the AI and other players in varying scenarios, with the rush of climbing leader boards and making a name for yourself to drive you on. But even then, unless new challenges, planes, scenerys and etc arrive, then just like the technical simmer, familiarity can breed contempt, and boredom will rear its head..........

All caused by the basic fact that just flying around aimlessly up there is inherently........ boring.

Whatever aircraft I fly, from ultralights on the low end to the GA turboprops on the high end, I try to fly with a destination in mind. Sometimes if my heart isn't in a full flight, I'll divert to an airport along the way. I always try to complete my flights--I don't like to just exit the sim after flying around for a bit, although sometimes other things require me to do that. When I don't have Tileproxy running and I'm flying with the default textures, I tend to do more touch 'n gos and flying around airports, practicing my landings. In FS9 I tend to fly airliners into areas with heavy traffic. I have FS9 loaded to the max with WOAI traffic, especially in the States. There is nothing more exciting than flying in the flight levels and watching the contrail of a jet crossing below at a 90 degree angle to my flight path. I enjoy that because I've seen it so many times as a passenger flying across country like my flights a few weeks ago to and from Orlando.

This is such a rich hobby--rich in possibilities. There's something there for everyone to enjoy and the efforts of add-on developers have made it even more special. I take breaks from it from time to time, but I always come back and find enjoyment in it. I've been at this hobby one year shy of thirty years now and it's been the one hobby that has stayed with me throughout adulthood.

John