Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Just Flight FS9 Piper Seneca question.

Hello All

Actually a couple of questions (relevant to other aircraft too)

1. My Piper Seneca has something in it called 'Lateral mode selector) it has a click spot so its meant to do something ,my question is what ? Have had a little tinker ,but it appeared to have know noticeable effect on my flight.

2. Fuel pump switch..

I have noticed this on a number of aircraft. I leave it alone ,as it appears to have now discernible effect (on sim flying) at least.

My question is what is it and when is it used.

That's it

cheers All

Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Hi Andy,

I can only try to answer No. 2, hoping that you mean that very fuel pump switch which I have in mind. - In the planes I regularly use (rather vintage ones) the fuel pumps pump fuel from the tanks to the engines, particularly when starting the engines. If I dont't switch them on, engines just won't start... Furthermore, fuel trimming wasn't able without fuel pumps.

Cheers, Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thanks Harold

I did think that the fuel pump may have had something to do with initial startup ,but wasn't sure.

I have planes with fuel pump switches ,but have never had any problem starting them if left off,

Perhaps it has to do with the complexity of different models available for sim use.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andy

If you follow the aircraft checklist you will see when to switch the fuel pump (electric) on and off. Used on take offs, ensuring fuel reaches the engine, and thus avoiding a nasty fate. Cold engine starting on many aircraft need use of the fuel primer to inject fuel into the cylinders before the starting procedure.

Regards

Echofox

If you follow the aircraft checklist you will see when to switch the fuel pump (electric) on and off. Used on take offs, ensuring fuel reaches the engine, and thus avoiding a nasty fate. Cold engine starting on many aircraft need use of the fuel primer to inject fuel into the cylinders before the starting procedure.

Regards

Echofox

Ok Thanks for that.

I have various aircraft models with primer and fuel pump switches (including default dc3) but on these aircraft I have had no problems starting and flying without there use. However for the sake of a bit more reality into my sim flying I will use them in future. Can you tell me at what point after takeoff you would switch of the fuel pump switch.

Whoops I will check the checklist.

Also re my original question..any ideas what the 'lateral mode selector ' is and what it does .This is present in my JF P.Seneca .

cheers

Andy

Also re my original question..any ideas what the 'lateral mode selector ' is and what it does .This is present in my JF P.Seneca .

I'm just guessing, but would it be some kind of LNAV or NAV/GPS button? And thus, you wouldn't see any effect until you have a flightplan loaded and the AP on? What does the manual say about this?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Andy,

Google "define aircraft lateral mode selector", top listing should be Flight Director Systems which also is www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/FltDirS.htm. The answer to your question is the panel of buttons Alt Hdg Nav etc. Anyway the above is well worth reading.

Regards.

Echofox

1. My Piper Seneca has something in it called 'Lateral mode selector) it has a click spot so its meant to do something ,my question is what ? Have had a little tinker ,but it appeared to have know noticeable effect on my flight.

Is it the gauge circled in this image?

OO4xuir.jpg

That knob is used to select how the autopilot's lateral (roll) mode is controlled.

(nav, vor, heading, localizer, backcourse)

If that is not it, could you post an image showing which gauge you mean?

Ron and Jeroen

That is exactly the equipment installed in my Seneca (Just Flight) so thanks for your replies ,I now know what it is and what it does (getting it to do it might be another question :rolleyes: ) I will probably chicken out and install the Bendix from the default 172/182

Ron your operating manual appears to be very comprehensive, but as I tend to break out in a cold sweat when faced with manuals , I will mull over it at my leisure whilst enjoying my flights with the Seneca/ Bendix combo . :biggrin:

Thanks to all who chipped in.

Andy