Sign in to follow this  
bukeyolacan

FSX video recording question

I started to record my videos in FSX but playback has many problems. I hear the sounds wrong and moving things like flaps are not showing up also. I know people use FRAPS to records but FSX is already FPS hungry with many addons so it would make my frames much worse while recording. I also heard about FSRecorder but it only records with an extension that can only be played by the application itself. What people are using to record to show their landing videos ?

I started to record my videos in FSX but playback has many problems. I hear the sounds wrong and moving things like flaps are not showing up also. I know people use FRAPS to records but FSX is already FPS hungry with many addons so it would make my frames much worse while recording. I also heard about FSRecorder but it only records with an extension that can only be played by the application itself. What people are using to record to show their landing videos ?

Use FSRecorder (http://www.fs-recorder.net/). The default recording feature FSX uses is far inferior. FSRecorder video playback is fluid, resource friendly and you can change your views in flight (i.e. change your view position, jump to spot view, etc).

FRAPS just records videos--useful for posting on youtube but it does sap MSFS resources a bit while running.

Hope this helps.

John

I use FRAPS ... I have it set to run on CPU core #6 (FSX 2-5) and record to a separate SSD. You'll need a very fast SSD if you plan to record at native resolution (in my case 2560 x 1600) ... just 5-6 minutes of record time is a 27GB file size. When running with FRAPS recording, it will consume about 2-3 FPS in FSX. Also need to make sure FRAPS captures the video to a drive that FSX does NOT use.

I haven't tried FSRecorder, but as I understand it FSRecorder is only a point data recorder ... meaning it just records simulation aircraft data and not actual video data. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think FSRecorder can output video that could be uploaded to YouTube. Now you might be able to use FRAPS to record FSRecorder video playback which should be relatively fluid since you not flying "real time" in FSRecorder so the resource usage is far less.

Rob

That is what most folks do; record using FSRecorder, then use FRAPS (or another video capture program*) to record the FSRecorder playback.

The major advantage being that with FSRecorder you have the opportunity for an infinite number of "takes" since each playback is identical...

* http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-capture-software/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Take a look at GameCam it is much less system resource intensive then FRAPS, which on my system I can't even use without a slideshow. It also compresses the video real time, so it won't eat your hard drive, at the cost of a slight loss in quality, which you would probably lose anyway, when youtube compresses it down. This is a sample of what you could expect. and my system is only a 3.0Ghz C2D.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

fsrecorder has a video rendering option which records video, so no need fraps or other stuff.

plus, with the fsrecorder video rendering option you can make very SMOOTH videos, i mean if in your FSX you play at 5 FPS, the rendered video will be 25 FPS (or + if you want)

but it will take a LOT of time for render.

fsrecorder has a video rendering option which records video, so no need fraps or other stuff.

plus, with the fsrecorder video rendering option you can make very SMOOTH videos, i mean if in your FSX you play at 5 FPS, the rendered video will be 25 FPS (or + if you want)

but it will take a LOT of time for render.

That is a great option if you are planning to replace the sound, like music, which according to the OP post it doesn't sound like that's what he wants to do. The method FSRecorder uses will not sync up to the real time sound in the video.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Really? I didn't know that, maybe that came with a newer version? I didn't bother to download a new one since I got my new computer a year ago.

Really? I didn't know that, maybe that came with a newer version? I didn't bother to download a new one since I got my new computer a year ago.

Yes you need the latest alpha version to get it:

http://www.fs-record....php?f=14&t=776

If you want to use the option which makes the video smooth it will take a lot of time, so you should use it for short videos. (3 min of flight took me about 20 minutes to render)

Using FSRecorder FPS inside FSX should be limited to 30 (at least in earlier versions) to get a steady pictureflow with no jumps on the timeline.

Indead the videorender version is an older alphaversion, but working good for me.

One way I use is:

a) flying lets say the take off, recording the flight with FSRecorder, Recording the sound with Fraps in half picture resolution, sliders adjusted, so that I get a smooth flight even with Fraps running. Recording-Setting in FSRecorder for my aircraft as high as possible, also the same for the AI Traffic.

So now I have a recorded flight, recorded sound, recorded AI Traffic.

B) Sliders up to what eyecandy I want, then playing back the flight starting some seconds earlier than the Fraps recording. Using now Video Render in FSRecorder (30 FPS), pausing when a scene is long enough, changing view to the next camera I like, unpausing the sim, therefore the rendering continues and so on.

Some minutes real flight/video time, like 3 to 5 minutes is always okay for me, 20 minutes can sometimes produce a missing part.

Anyway, using moviemaker I take the raw video and the raw sound file, adjust it on the time line to make it synchron and the let it mix down for a good looking video with original sound on it.

c) That I use for final cut and add music to it, most of the time using the music to decide where to cut, if possible.

d) Then I add several of those final cuts and the movie is pretty much done.

e) Because of real world flying I tend to adjust colour and contrast, sharpness and gamma also to give the video the look I like using a different program.

f) Up to this step I make all the videos with the highest possible Bitrate and resolution. That is for me of course.

Then for uploading it on Vimeo or youtube I adjust Videosize and Bitrate to the hoster's standard, which is a lot lower of course.

That's my normal procedure concerning video recording.

Manfred

Seems like you could use audacity instead of FRAPS for the sound, since you probably want to edit the sound anyway. Of course it depends on how much effort you want to make. For a "left wing view of 737NG taking off from airport x", it might be a bit much.

scott s.