Sign in to follow this  
ck777

Lost all Power - New Build

Hello,

Moderators, if this topic isin correct for this forum, feel free to move.

I was 2 hours into a flight and my new build suddenly lost all power. I cannot turn it on, nothing happens when I use the power switch attached to the PSU.

I believe something happen with the wall outlet, because it is not working now. Just checked the circuit breaker and it was tripped. I had 2 surge protectors plugged into the wall outlet.

Surge Protector #1 - New build, monitors, speakers, etc

Surge Protector#2 - Old computer, monitor

I plugged everything into another wall outlet, the old computer works fine but my new build has no power.

Specs (not OC):

PSU: Corsair HX750

MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA

EVGA GTX680

i7 3770K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

I went to Corsair's site and they have a troubleshooting section. I tested the PSU by uplugging everything from the computer but using a paperclip (PSU plugged into the wall) and the fan didn't start. I find it strange that a tripped circuit would cause the PSU to go out.

I'm so bummed after getting everything set up this past month and having this happen. I would really appreciate any advice and steps to follow for a non tech person.

Thanks!, CK

Chris B. Trane

Just to clarify - you plugged the PSU into the wall with nothing attached to it? All pc connctions were disconnected from it? It wouldn't start, no fan, etc - its a digital start circuit or did you short that with a paper clip to get it going - not sure I understand that part.

Ron W

Sorry I wasn't clear. I did plug it in the wall with nothing attached. I short circuited with the paper clip and the fan didn't start. That was recommended from the corsair tech support page.

Q: How can I test my power supply?

A: You can easily test a power supply for functionality with a simple paperclip. First, disconnect all the cables from your motherboard and other devices, but leave the power supply plugged into the wall. Next, bend the paperclip until you have a U shape. Find the 24-pin ATX connector and plug one part of the paperclip into the socket where the green wire ends, and the other end into the socket where a black wire ends. Make sure the power switch on the back of the PSU is on, (should be the I symbol) and the fan should spin up. If it doesn’t, your power supply may be bad.

Chris B. Trane

My first post - perhaps it will help!

I upgraded my Dell PSU to an HX650, and similar to your situation, I was able to fly for about 90 minutes and then wasa greeted with the sounds and smell of a fried power supply.

The fan *never* came on, out of the box. I remember when I first powered it up thinking "that is the quietest power supply I have ever heard". No fan, that's why. Oddly enough, I came home from work and my son was on the computer, but after a while, down she went again.

Have Corsair RMA the unit. They can turn it around very quickly.

JKH

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Thanks JKH,

I've already started the RMA process but wanted to check to see if there is anything else I should try. I didn't smell anything. I just find it odd that it would go out because of a tripped circuit, I had everything running for about 9 hours a couple of days ago.

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

Unless there is a reset button in the psu it sounds like from your testing that it does not work anymore. You could always put a meter across the the 2 terminals as above and see if there is any current/voltage, etc. I lost a psu recently in a "brown out" even though it was connected via a surge protection device but in this instance you could smell the cooked electronics. Is there any warranty/guarantee with your surge protector - you might be able to claim for your psu via them. Can you get it checked by a competenet electrician/electronics, does another psu work and so on. Return to Corsair as faulty?

Regards

pH

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I'm definitely not the best with "electricity". I do have another PSU on my other computer but it's 600w. I was a little nervous that might cause issues with the new build. Do you think it would be okay to use it to test the new build?

Hindsight...I shouldn't have loaded the wall socket with 2 surge protectors, 2 computers, 4 monitors, etc. Stupid mistake

No warranty with the surge protector (it's old). I was going to burrow a friends multimeter or voltmeter to check a few things, but I think I will send it back to Corsair and see what they say.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Chris K

Chris B. Trane

It's a 750w Gold that is the culprit.

Chris B. Trane

I do have another PSU on my other computer but it's 600w. I was a little nervous that might cause issues with the new build. Do you think it would be okay to use it to test the new build?

Take your GTX 680 out and use the onboard graphics with the 600w PSU.

Hello,

Moderators, if this topic isin correct for this forum, feel free to move.

I was 2 hours into a flight and my new build suddenly lost all power. I cannot turn it on, nothing happens when I use the power switch attached to the PSU.

I believe something happen with the wall outlet, because it is not working now. Just checked the circuit breaker and it was tripped. I had 2 surge protectors plugged into the wall outlet.

Surge Protector #1 - New build, monitors, speakers, etc

Surge Protector#2 - Old computer, monitor

I plugged everything into another wall outlet, the old computer works fine but my new build has no power.

Specs (not OC):

PSU: Corsair HX750

MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA

EVGA GTX680

i7 3770K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

I went to Corsair's site and they have a troubleshooting section. I tested the PSU by uplugging everything from the computer but using a paperclip (PSU plugged into the wall) and the fan didn't start. I find it strange that a tripped circuit would cause the PSU to go out.

I'm so bummed after getting everything set up this past month and having this happen. I would really appreciate any advice and steps to follow for a non tech person.

Thanks!, CK

This is very common when a PSU fails.

Same thing happened to me last year.

The failing PSU trips your circuit breakers. This is what's supposed to happen when an electrical component somewhere in your house fails. Even a blown light bulb can trip an MCB.

MCB's, and RCD's [as we call them in thre UK] are very sensitve these days.

Be warned, your surge protectors "may" now need to be replaced. Mine was dead after my incident. So do test them.

Overloading the socket shouldn't damage components, it will simply blow your consumer unit circuit breaker. That's what it's designed to do. In the UK, some of our outlets [triple outlets] have fuses that can blow.

Martin W

Thanks for the explanation, which really helps my "ease of mind". I'm going to replace the surge protector. It's very old and they don't cost too much.

Cheers, Chris

Chris B. Trane

No problem. :smile:

The day it happened to me, my PSU blew, a chair in the kitchen broke, and I ended up re-injuring my back trying to fix the chair... all on the same day.

Don't be put off Corsair PSU's, they are of exceptional quality. I always buy Corsair PSU's.

Thought I would provide a quick update.

Looks like it was a bad PSU. I've received my replacement from Corsair and everything is up and running.

Customer service at Corsair is outstanding. My old PSU arrived at Corsair on Monday. Replacement was sent Tuesday and the item arrived via 3 day UPS today. I was blown away how fast it shipped.

Chris B. Trane