Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

mSATA SSD on Desktop

I have recently acquired a motherboard which supports the mSATA SSD as an extension. The question is, what is that and how do we use it for our desktop computers?

I did hear since it's smaller in capacity (because of the physical available spaces on the card ~ is that still true?), so it's used for low density boot drive? And it's used for something about caching most common applications or games?

If this is so, can FSX (engine or addons) benefit from this?

If you have mSATA SSD, or knows about this technology; how it is used (generally or on FSX) and benefits desktop machines, please feed me some knowledge :)

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

mSATA runs on a pcie lane, and is slower than regular SATA, and I haven´t quite wrapped my head around what the practical purpose of mSATA is. So, I wouldn´t install anything vital on such a device. I hear the price of mSATA drives are higher than regular SSDs.

So given that I have 2 256GB SSDs, I probably wouldn't bother with the mSATA?

Brendan Chen

Right you are, my friend! As long as you have intel controlled SATA ports available, you´re good with regular SSD´s. And you were going for a big Caviar Black or something for storage, right, I don´t think you´ll ever need mSATA. If I ever stumble across a neat thing to use it for, I´ll make sure to let you know :wink:

Right you are, my friend! As long as you have intel controlled SATA ports available, you´re good with regular SSD´s. And you were going for a big Caviar Black or something for storage, right, I don´t think you´ll ever need mSATA. If I ever stumble across a neat thing to use it for, I´ll make sure to let you know :wink:

Excellent! Saves me a few bux :D

Brendan Chen