Sign in to follow this  
GrayGhostVA

FMC "Shortcut"

Hi all, I had a question.

I'm flying Auckland to Sydney, I just took off runway 5R and I'm direct to MADEP. After MADEP there's a slight left lean to the next waypoint, but right now the 737 is very slightly heading more left and not following the LNAV path to the waypoint MADEP, but instead it almost looks like it's going to go past MADEP on the left, but still close enough that it will still hit and continue the path on the other side.

Picture of my ND right now.

26ffd51e1b4218da54e349ca7d9a2881.png

I wouldn't normally think anything of this considering the tailwind, but the deviation number on the bottom (1.8L) keeps getting higher as the plane is dead-set on not following the LNAV path exactly.

So my question is, is the FMC cutting the corner by just a bit to save time/fuel? Or is this some sort of error? I have a Cost Index of 29 at the moment. I didn't think the FMC was smart enough to do something like this on it's own, if this is normal and the FMCs' doing.

- Sean Lewis

That's an intersting one Sean, I too thought that it might be the tailwind and thus your aircraft was nosed into it leaning more to that side to compensate. Is this the first time it has happened with the NGX and does the issue arise with any other aircraft in your inventory? I am not convinced that it is the dreaded "S" turn phenomena that many of us have encountered in the past but that is fixed with an adjustement of your FSUIPC settings if you have the registered version.

Looking forward to reading your reply.

All the best,

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for the response!

This has happened before and much more frequently on the MD-11 actually, but I think this is the first time with the NGX. Maybe there's something with the VOR that's a bit wonky. I don't think it's the AIRAC files but I'm not sure what else that could be.

Yes, this is not the dreaded S-turn issue as I wasn't slaloming back and forth (on an unrelated note I've, thankfully, never had that issue on the NGX, but it plauged me for a very long time with the MD-11), but rather it just happily went off course until the VOR came up and it decided it needed to be in the correct position to fly over it.

It's funny that the wind is even there at all, as I'm so sick of FSX's wind issues that while using REX Essentials I've just simply turned off real-world wind, so why there's any wind at all is a mystery. It just likes to come back randomly on different flights.

- Sean Lewis

GrayGhostVA, your cockpit looks great. What's your rig?

Kev

GrayGhostVA, your cockpit looks great. What's your rig?

Kev

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz

16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

ASRock P67 Performance (Mobo)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - (Main) DELL S2330MX (1920x1080@60Hz), (Second) DELL E207WFP (1680x1050@60Hz)

932GB Seagate HD

I'm glad you like it! It's actually the first rig I've ever built. Learned quite a bit from it.

- Sean Lewis

Hi Sean,

Yes you have something there with regard to the VOR, from what I recall FSX uses its internal coordinates that are programmed into what we see as its default GPS, might just have been a conflict and FSX won lol. Kevin, there are settings for the ATI card which you can find in the guide that PauL J put out... I can't recall who came up with the settings but they should provide some improvment over what you may be seeing with your rig. In order to acheive the stunning display that Sean has provided you would have to go with an NVIDIA GPU I recon.

\Robert Hamlich/

My rig is a lot "hotter", but my graphics aren't great. I'm thinking that I'm seeing that nVIDIA 670GTX at work; I have dual ATI 6870HD's in crossfire mode right now. What size memory is that card? Also, if you don't mind, what are you using the two monitors for? I posted yesterday that I'm looking into ATI and nVIDIA's 3-monitor setup and performance, and wondering which way to go...

Thanks.

Kevin

Also, did your FMC dispay BYPASS at the MADEP line?

My rig is a lot "hotter", but my graphics aren't great. I'm thinking that I'm seeing that nVIDIA 670GTX at work; I have dual ATI 6870HD's in crossfire mode right now. What size memory is that card? Also, if you don't mind, what are you using the two monitors for? I posted yesterday that I'm looking into ATI and nVIDIA's 3-monitor setup and performance, and wondering which way to go...

Thanks.

Kevin

Also, did your FMC dispay BYPASS at the MADEP line?

It's a 2GB card. The second moniter was one that wasn't being used anymore so I set it up so I could have Flight Sim related apps (TOPCAT and whatnot) and Firefox on the other screen and still have FSX flying on the main screen.

I don't remember if it did, but I'm going to assume that it didn't. I didn't set it to bypass that waypoint and I didn't have a SID set. It should have been DIRECT to MADEP on the CDU.

- Sean Lewis

FsX Registry Patch, from Flight1, have you tried it?

Rafael Henrique Carelli

Rafael

Is the FsX Registry Patch, from Flight1 necessary to install? Nothing to do with the above discusssion, just to know wheather I should install it. What does it do to FSX?

stelios

Stelios Christofides

Registry patch just correct (or add if one do not exist) FSX.exe path in registry. If you installed fresh FSX at your system and didnt move it around HDDs, registry entry is ok.

your cockpit looks great. What's your rig?

As a fellow ATI card user, I noticed a vast quality improvement in the way the NGX flight deck is displayed when I updated the drivers to 12.3. ATI has done something that made a terrific improvement in graphics for NGX and FSX in general. My flight deck looks exactly as shown in the screen shot above, even across three monitors.

It's a given that NVIDIA ovens provide better graphics for FSX, but the tradeoffs have always been worth having slightly less quality FSX rendering. I run three monitors so use Eye Infinity (and I don't want to pay several hundred dollars for the newer NVIDIA cards), and I don't have to use a tweak program to run FSX with good frame rates. But that said, this latest driver seems to have made all the difference!

Give the new drivers a try!

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

DX10 off or on with this?

FSX's DX10? Off, definitely. AFAIK it wasn't even finished or something, more like a "Here's what it will look like when it's released!" sort of thing, so it takes a huge chunk of resources for not a lot of results.

FsX Registry Patch, from Flight1, have you tried it?

I actually did just recently re-install FSX and I haven't done that yet.

- Sean Lewis