Sign in to follow this  
Dyos787

Beta testining candidate?

The TSA are with no doubt the rudest airport security staff I've ever come across. SHAME ON YOU TSA!! :mad:

American doesn't mind either,

I've been up to the flight deck numerous times, before and after flight.

Then I worked on the ramp last year for job attachment and we were allowed inside Amerijet's 727, American's 737 and 757, and British's 777. Wonderful experience

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

While I understand your sentiment, you should know that security violations are met with disciplinary action and monetary fines for the airlines and employees involved. What you and I don't think it's a big deal, TSA does and they won't hesitate to lay the smack down.

If the airplane is sitting at the gate there is no security violation, in fact most American Airlines pilots have no issues with letting kids in and si in the Captain's seat and I see this as a common occurance at O'Hare. Plus if you are lucky enough to be flying a foreign carrier in foreign airspace then TSA/FAA rules do not apply.

Kevin, I understand what you are saying and for the most part agree with you. That being said, the events if 9/11/2001 cast a very large shadow in this country. I get to deal with TSA on a daily basis so I know how thing are done. They don't allow much leeway on anything.

I fully understand the shadow 9/11 cast but if you continue to live under that shadow 11 years on the terrorists have won. Security is vital, but it needs to be done with intelligence, not blanket prohibitions. I have no problem with locked doors in flight, but there is absolutely no security reason why a pilot should not allow a child access to the cockpit at the gate. After all every person on board has already been screened by the TSA. If they've done they're job properly there is no risk.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Air France crew are very friendly also. I asked if I could see the flight-deck after our flight from Paris to London back in 2010. At the time it was the A380, as Air France were doing training flights for the crew.

Without hesitation they let me into the flight deck to take a few pictures etc...I've been in a quite a few flight-decks of various aircraft in my life, but the A380's flight-deck is just stunning! B)

Kevin,

I'm not sure that there's any prohibition of cockpit access while at the gate. I don't believe there is. A lot of time it has to do with expediency. In the airline business, on time performance is king.Trust me. Cockpit cres are like anyone else, some of them are really good people and some of them a pure jackasses. TSA? No comment.

NAX669.png

I fully understand the shadow 9/11 cast but if you continue to live under that shadow 11 years on the terrorists have won. Security is vital, but it needs to be done with intelligence, not blanket prohibitions. I have no problem with locked doors in flight, but there is absolutely no security reason why a pilot should not allow a child access to the cockpit at the gate. After all every person on board has already been screened by the TSA. If they've done they're job properly there is no risk.

1+

I'm not sure that there's any prohibition of cockpit access while at the gate. I don't believe there is. A lot of time it has to do with expediency. In the airline business, on time performance is king.Trust me. Cockpit cres are like anyone else, some of them are really good people and some of them a pure jackasses. TSA? No comment.

So with all due respect what was the purpose of the original point you were trying to make?

While I understand your sentiment, you should know that security violations are met with disciplinary action and monetary fines for the airlines and employees involved. What you and I don't think it's a big deal, TSA does and they won't hesitate to lay the smack down.

The OP has posted a picture of a child (in all probability his son) sat on a seat on the flight deck of a commercial aircraft whilst said aircraft was clearly parked at a gate & shut down...it also looks like the flight crew had some fun with a some items of flight crew apparel....probably all at KLAX.

I am sure at least one flightdeck crew member was present & I am positive that either the aircraft commander him/herself or at least a member of the flight crew gave consent before entry to the flight deck was granted.

Nothing for TSA (or anybody else) to worry about for that matter.

Sadly the humour - well at least in the OP there was some - has now been snuffed out...another thread bites the dust.

To the OP - I am sure your son had an experience he will remember for a lifetime...must have been great for him!

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

There was that a comment was made earlier in the thread about not following security rules to the letter. My point is, for those of us who work in the industry, looking the other way is not an option. One of my co-workers was hit with a violation about a month ago. It cost him a seven day suspension and a $750 fine. That money came out of his pocket.Another violation and it may well cost him his job. Somehow, this conversation turned into something about cockpit access while at the gate. My intention was not to ruin anyone's fun. My guess is that the OP's son will remember that experience for a long time.

NAX669.png

Back in 2009 I was allowed in to a Uniteds 777 flight deck after landing in SFO from Heathrow and no one was in the flight deck. All I got was "Please don't touch anything" - I guess a 14 year old doesn't seem such a threat. However last year I wasn't allowed in the flight deck since the crew had already left by the time I got up there after landing in LAX with ANZ. The cabin crew tried their upmost best to try but every crew member was busy as the aeroplane goes to Auckland hours later, so lots is to be done.

United have generally always been good, I was allowed in both times last year on my trip home to London. Once landing in Heathrow I'll say the First Officer was the only one probably 'happy' to see me. The Captain and other FO just walked out as I approached the door! Anyhow I didn't see an issue since they had been up there for hours and must have been shattered. The way back from LHR they allowed me to sit in the Skippers seat and offered to take a photo of myself; which I thought was nice of them.

Jumpseating has become more common in Europe now too. Not so much the big airlines yet - but still it's nice it's starting again slowly.

Most pilots don't have a problem with it, every one I know says they love it and wish it was more common. It's mainly not as common because lots don't think you can, even on stand. Just be respectful and don't outstay your welcome - way I do it is if any of the crew are talking and explaining things then you're in for a slightly longer stay. Unlike if they're just quiet and not saying much then it's probably better to just have a quick look and be on your way.

Jumpseating has become more common in Europe now too. Not so much the big airlines yet - but still it's nice it's starting again slowly.

One small airline in Europe closed the cockpit door only for takeoff and landing, otherwise it was wide open during cruise and the pilots allowed my visit inflight! That was back in 04 so they may or may not have changed their policy since then.

Nice picture :)

I was flying with Air Malta and Lufthansa (A320, A319 and the LH A321 with IAE! (common here in germany is CFM on A32x) ;)) and after landing the cockpit door was open so everybody was able to visit the flight deck. It was on 4 flights to malta and back; also the "security" on the airports isn't that strict. No one checked me, just looked on the ticked and ID and I walked through a metal detector that's all. You could even have C4 within your shoes...

There was that a comment was made earlier in the thread about not following security rules to the letter. My point is, for those of us who work in the industry, looking the other way is not an option. One of my co-workers was hit with a violation about a month ago. It cost him a seven day suspension and a $750 fine. That money came out of his pocket.Another violation and it may well cost him his job. Somehow, this conversation turned into something about cockpit access while at the gate. My intention was not to ruin anyone's fun. My guess is that the OP's son will remember that experience for a long time.

I didn't say you or your colleagues should not observe the rules to the letter. I said the TSA should apply the rules with discretion. Suspending and fining people when there is no actual security breach achieves nothing except cause friction.

I don't know what the rules are for such access. Some here have said the rules allow them. If that's the case then the TSA should have no problem with it.

ki9cAAb.jpg