Sign in to follow this  
StarBlue

Non US Flight Planning & Charts

Hi

Just was wondering what other simmers are using to plan IFR flights outside of the US. Inside I use FlightAware.com to find real airline flights, for SIDS/STARS/RNAV I am using airnav.com; but there are many sources. I typically fly heavies, anything PMDG/LDS/QW using a FMC.

I am also wondering how to find Approach/Departure charts for airports outside of the US. Mostly Europe, Japan, Southeast Asia would be helpful; yeah sounds like the rest of the World I know.

Thanks!

www.aircharts.org has good coverage of Europe and some other parts of the world for free. Navigraph offers payware charts. At something like €0.30 per airport I find the expense quite manageable considering the limited time I have for simming.

For route planning you can try the freeware version of vroute, or if you're more adventurous plan your own route using www.skyvector.com.

There are a number of ways to go here....depending upon what routes you want to fly.

The best single source for charts is Navigraph...outside of the USA. For flight planning purposes, the best sites are vroute for Europe, EuroFPL.com, eurocontrol EAD for european charts.

However, if you are interested in the stuff behind it, then you have to get into the SRD document for flights to/from UK, ICAO documents for each country (you can get charts from ICAO, but they are difficult to read and not consistent as they are put out by each of the countries who are members...try flight planning with Russian charts in Russia. Great if you read and understand Russian; not so good if you don't.

Flightaware is great from the US internationally; not so good returning to the USA, since some countries (UK notably) will not allow publishing flight plans on unsecured websites (nor live ATC for that matter) so it can be a bit challenging to just "pick a route and fly". Of course, I prefer to plan my flights, then fly my plan.

All this is strictly an opinion...

Dave Lamb

FAA Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

Captain, BA Virtual (BAW141)

Well whenever I fly in or out of Europe, I usually get my flight plans from,

http://edi-gla.co.uk

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

You can use FlightAware within Australia and across the Pacific between the US and Australia.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Anyone have a site for Canadian charts?

Aircharts.org claims it has coverage of Canada but every IVAO code I put in returns a "no charts found"

Imo they need to recolor Canada in their map or add the charts already.

I use Navigraph for non-US charts. The think the official RW European aviation authority has charts on their site (after free registration), but I find it a bit of a nuisance to use. For flight planning, you can use Skyvector enroute charts, or you can go the payware route and use FSBuild or FSCommander. Might be others that I forgot about.

Search for "AIP" or "SIA" and the country name. I have found sites for Norway, Spain, Argentina, Morocco, etc. Some are official sites, some Vatsim related, others just collections

Eurocontrol for european charts (they are free, up-to-date and official).

Vroute for European routes, but there are many other excellent alternatives, like edi-gla and vatroute.net

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Simplates X for the Ipad is cheap and has worldwide charts, and you can find any chart in seconds insead of surfing the web for minutes.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

Wonder why Algeria is not in Simplates X? They have decent coverage of Morroco, not so good of Libya. Also, most of the commercial collections do not have MIL air bases.