Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Issue creating photoreal scenery

Hello, I'm using FSET along with Photoshop CS6 to create photoreal scenery and have an issue where some times I can see "borders" at the edges of tiles. I'm not sure why they show up. The attached picture shows obvious ones out off shore. I get some on inland tiles though too and they are usually red when they show up. I'm wondering if maybe it's related to something I'm doing in the blend mask? I create 8-bit, greyscale TIFF's in PS from the originals downloaded from FSET. I then compile with resample using the generated inf from FSET. The scenery looks fine and works fine with the exception of these "borders". Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Using the paint bucket and the magic wand thingy? I always need to go around the edges of the mask file with the paintbrush just to be sure that they don't show what you have.

Using the paint bucket and the magic wand thingy? I always need to go around the edges of the mask file with the paintbrush just to be sure that they don't show what you have.

Yeah, I'm using the lasso select and then doing a fill. That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Well, I tried that and it didn't help.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Blend Masks and Null Values will give strange results where they overlap - either black, like your black line borders, or red as you report on land.

Please read the following tutorial for more information:

Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X

available in the Avsim library

http://library.avsim...xsd&DLID=140539

Best regards.

Luis

Yeah, I've seen and read that tutorial before. I understand what masks are and how to create them. It's just that there's something I'm doing or Photoshop is doing when creating them that is causing these borders and I can't quite figure that out yet. I'm wondering if I need to not make the edges of the tif such "hard" edges. Maybe I need to feather them so they'll blend from tile to tile better? Going to try that next and see.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I have the same problem when placing textures edge to edge. If you blend too much, you get a gap. I sometimes slide the image slightly in SBX to get a small overlap but other times I just put up with it. It does appear to be just one side of the image and I'm not sure why that is.

Alan

I think I figured it out. My original bmp file from FSET contained grey areas in it where it couldn't get an image from the service. I think that when you then use a separate tif blend mask file, this grey in the original combined with the black to white tif blend mask was causing these borders. I just did one batch today where I would do a "Fill" of the grey area in the original with white and then run it through resample. That seems to have fixed it, at least for this first batch anyway. About to try another one.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Nope. That didn't work. Now I have white lines for borders instead of black. In TmfViewer, it looked like it worked because the white lines blend in with the white background so I thought I had it. But, then in the sim, I notice each tile has a nice white border around it - even worse than the dark blue or black borders I was getting originally.

I can't figure this out. No matter what I do in Photoshop, I can't get the borders around my tiles to disappear.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I can't figure this out. No matter what I do in Photoshop, I can't get the borders around my tiles to disappear.

Here's another stab in the dark... PS TIFFs seem to come out a little different or so it seemed to me. So I would run any blendmask files through IrfanView making sure they were set to grayscale and then save them. Then run them through Resample. Granted I was only using PS Elements at the time, but I just want to recall something "different" about the way the TIFFs came out.

I use GIMP and get the same with the standard tiff. I use greys on one layer airbrushing black around the edge. Try cheating a little and sliding your image over the adjacent tile in sbx then update your data text file and recompile. Blending the two edges creates a gap.

Alan

You might try outputting your main sources with the blend & water masks embeded as channels in the .tif. Water mask is "Alpha 1" and blend mask is "Alpha 2". Not sure if it'll make a difference but I've done several photoreals that way where imagery sources butt together and I've never seen any blend mask related lines at the seams.

Jim

I use tiffs with LZW compression from Gimp or PS and don't have a problem with blend/water masks made from FSET bmps.