Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

The 777 isn't that big, is it?

something I love about Qatar airport is they have no jetways. You take a bus to the aircraft, weaving through rows upon rows of 777s and board via stairs. Awesome feeling boarding a 777 like its a small charter jet

Rob Prest

I agree with the common visual perception of the B777-200 as a short aircraft. Same applicable for 767-200.

777-300 is looking bigger but visually not that big as 747-400/-8 because of the sleek/streamlined fuselage

777-300 is looking bigger but visually not that big as 747-400/-8 because of the sleek/streamlined fuselage

To me, the Emirates livery emphasizes the size of the B777-300 (perhaps due to its large text?). Whenever I see an Emirates B777-300, I can easily imagine that it is longer than a B747-400.

I agree with the common visual perception of the B777-200 as a short aircraft. Same applicable for 767-200.

Same with the A380,it looks incrediby short until you're on one.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Same with the A380,it looks incrediby short until you're on one.

Those wings are complete insanity. I wish I got a photo standing directly under them..

Those wings are complete insanity. I wish I got a photo standing directly under them..

I got to stand up close to one at the Farnborough Airshow a few years back, its one big mama of an aircraft lol, but it's no way near as clean and sleak as the 777 :P

Alaister Kay

I got to stand up close to one at the Farnborough Airshow a few years back, its one big mama of an aircraft lol, but it's no way near as clean and sleak as the 777 :P

Awesome! At the time I was a big fan of the 380 - the people I did work experience with gave me a lot of time with the aircraft. Insane feeling pushing the throttles up (Engines off) I was surprised how stiff they are. Unfortunately there wasn't any 777's at T3 during the times I was there )-: That being nearly 3 years ago (wow time flies!) there's probably more there now.

the people I did work experience with gave me a lot of time with the aircraft.

I did work experience at a local commuter airline and did an underfloor corrosion check on an F50. Learnt heaps there, even got to connect the a/c to ground power using the cockpit switch. No where near as big as the a380 though.

I just got back from a tour of the BA hangars at LHR and I must say walking around the T7 is impressive to say the least!

0b844dd6-b733-496a-ab4f-7590e34c5083_zps92900ab0.jpg

6447c932-d891-4c76-ba87-ca9eae45d109_zpsc754c73f.jpg

9b4ef268-7980-4086-8797-0bc0f06217de_zps9220b44c.jpg

And the 747 was equally as impressive!

IMG_1088_zpsbf2edc11.jpg

IMG_1097_zps881d83ed.jpg

Sorry about picture quality I only had my phone on me and the hangar lighting wasn't ideal.

Rich

I just got back from a tour of the BA hangars at LHR and I must say walking around the T7 is impressive to say the least!

Nice images! The aircraft are so shiny! The B747 wing view (perhaps the confinement of such an elegant and massive aircraft to a relatively snug space) looks odd to us passengers, though.

Nice shots! How do I get me one of these tours?

Alaister Kay

[T]he people I did work experience with gave me a lot of time with the aircraft. Insane feeling pushing the throttles up (Engines off) I was surprised how stiff they are.

Boeing uses servos and clutches (not sure about the other guys) to keep the throttle position synced with the AT, so without any power the plane, you might have been pushing against dead servos and perhaps the clutch. I'm no mechanic/engineer, so I could be wrong, however.

I did work experience at a local commuter airline and did an underfloor corrosion check on an F50. Learnt heaps there, even got to connect the a/c to ground power using the cockpit switch.

Loved being a rampie. It's probably a little different from what you did, but just having access to the planes I had access to was kinda neat. When I worked for Independence Air I was signed off to be a brake rider, so I got to move the CRJ2s around from gate to gate (powered certain systems - hyd for brakes and elec for radios/lights - and had someone tow the plane).

Kyle Rodgers

I remember looking at a trip7 while boarding from a jetway at Ohare. It looked big thru the glass of the terminal.

I remember walking off that same plane at Kona down the stairs, staring down the gullet of one of the P&W's and and it struck me this isn't a big plane, it's a huge plane.