Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

The 777 isn't that big, is it?

A 777-300 is longer than a 747-400, the A380 is longer than the 777-300, and the 747-8 is about 12 feet longer than A280.

I just got back from a tour of the BA hangars at LHR

Awesome photos man! Just out of interest - are you on any of BA's engineering courses?

you might have been pushing against dead servos and perhaps the clutch. I'm no mechanic/engineer, so I could be wrong, however.

No idea - I was with a British Airways engineer as it was being towed from a remote stand to Terminal 3. It could have been my wimpy arms back then :lol:

Only I would get excited about turning a beacon light off once on stand B) Would have been amazing to film! Unfortunately they didn't tell me it was happening so camera got left in the Plane Handling room :(

but just having access to the planes I had access to was kinda neat.

Yeah, that is the good thing about working on the ramp or as a AME.

Nice images! The aircraft are so shiny! The B747 wing view (perhaps the confinement of such an elegant and massive aircraft to a relatively snug space) looks odd to us passengers, though.

That T7 is in the paint hangar and had just been completely resprayed hence the shininess.

Nice shots! How do I get me one of these tours?

Like most things in aviation you gotta know the right people unfortunately.

Awesome photos man! Just out of interest - are you on any of BA's engineering courses?

I'm not on a course directly related to BA however I am on an aerospace engineering course run by ex BA engineers who still have contacts working at BA. This trip was related to my current project so was lucky enough to visit the facilities with only one other person which obviously made the whole experience that much better as we could take our time and see just about everything the aircraft have to offer. I'm sure you will agree the BA staff and engineering staff in particular are a great group of people.

Rich

A 777-300 is longer than a 747-400, the A380 is longer than the 777-300, and the 747-8 is about 12 feet longer than A280.

Actually the B-777-300 is longer than the A380...

Cristian Caicedo

But the 747-8 is longer than the 300ER

This is what I call a triple triple 7. ^_^

6827600128_5d8e9661b6_b.jpg

Here's another Emirates triple triple 7 :rolleyes:

8351231922_ad73e38c74_k.jpg

I'm not on a course directly related to BA however I am on an aerospace engineering course run by ex BA engineers who still have contacts working at BA. This trip was related to my current project so was lucky enough to visit the facilities with only one other person which obviously made the whole experience that much better as we could take our time and see just about everything the aircraft have to offer. I'm sure you will agree the BA staff and engineering staff in particular are a great group of people.

Ah okay. A few of my mates from School did an Engineering course that was ran by BA - they go to the hangars couple times a week! Yeah BA are extremely welcoming as an entire company.

Ah okay. A few of my mates from School did an Engineering course that was ran by BA - they go to the hangars couple times a week! Yeah BA are extremely welcoming as an entire company.

Is this the BA Engineering Apprenticeship you're talking about?

Yeah they run some BA courses where I study. I believe they are ramp crew and aircraft mechanic courses which basically allows BA to pay them less as they are not licensed engineers but just mechanics - still a great opportunity with job prospects from a young age.

Rich

Yep you are right, I had got those two reversed.

TheBoeingMan: Great Shots!

I flew Emirates 777-300 from Sydney to Singapore, thence to Dubai, thence to Manchester. 8 Weeks later I flew the reverse. Be under no illusion. The 777-300 is very big, very comfortable and reliable. I'm not familiar with the 200 but surely it can't be that much smaller. Another responder has already mentioned it but rumour has it that if you knock the wings off a 737 you could feed the 737 fuselagé through the 777's engine nacelle. I don't know how true it is but it would not be too far off.

Jon Shearer

Here's another Emirates triple triple 7

Yup! it brings back good memories. I believe the photo is taken at Dubai and 90% of the pollution you see is smoke from the countless oil wells.

Jon Shearer

Depends on the engine, the GE90's are just plain huge. 312 cm /123 in, 128 in for the more powerful -115B variant on the -300ER. Go search any airline photo website for the GE Test bed, it is a 747SP and often times they have a GE90 on the inside engine position. It nearly scrapes the ground. Makes the other engine on the outside look small in comparison. The Rolls-Royce Trent 800 is 110 in, the PW 4000 is 112 in by comparison; RR is by far the lightest of the three. The 737 width is 12ft 4 in, that makes it 148 in. So while the GE90 couldn't quite swallow a 737, I wouldn't want to be on either one when it happened.

Go search any airline photo website for the GE Test bed, it is a 747SP and often times they have a GE90 on the inside engine position. It nearly scrapes the ground. Makes the other engine on the outside look small in comparison.

I linked an image earlier:

Great image! B747 engines seem wimpy compared to the GE90.